The Meme Box

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Everything can run DOOM these days.
Speaking of doom, a colleague of mine told me that back in doom time, fps were called "doom-like game" because that type of game didn't have their proper name yet

Just like some game today that defined a new type of game, either by creating new gameplay mechanics, or by mixing different aspect of different types of game together
Best examples of such type of game we still use today that comes to my mind are "zelda-like game" and "xcom-like game"

Reactions: Xzi and SylverReZ

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Speaking of doom, a colleague of mine told me that back in doom time, fps were called "doom-like game" because that type of game didn't have their proper name yet

Just like some game today that defined a new type of game, either by creating new gameplay mechanics, or by mixing different aspect of different types of game together
Best examples of such type of game we still use today that comes to my mind are "zelda-like game" and "xcom-like game"
Or my favorite, "roguelike."

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Isn't rogue-like the type of game used the mystery dungeon series?
It's named after "Rogue", the genre-defining title.
There's "Rogue-likes" that use the same mechanic, and "Rogue-lite" that are similar but allow saves, and may or may not have permadeath.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's named after "Rogue", the genre-defining title.
There's "Rogue-likes" that use the same mechanic, and "Rogue-lite" that are similar but allow saves, and may or may not have permadeath.
Yea my bad, i meant to ask if it was the same "gameplay" used for mystery dungeon, i didnt mean it as in that mystery dungeon defined the genre. But thanks for confirming what i though, that there's an actual game named "Rogue" and that it is a genre defining game :)

LeNoobio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
7bmb5g.jpg

Emperor_Norton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea my bad, i meant to ask if it was the same "gameplay" used for mystery dungeon, i didnt mean it as in that mystery dungeon defined the genre. But thanks for confirming what i though, that there's an actual game named "Rogue" and that it is a genre defining game :)
For reference, Mystery Dungeon games do originate from Rogue and were born out of early attempts to make a similar experience on consoles. The result was Taloon's Great Adventure: Mystery Dungeon for the SNES and was eventually branched out into it's own sub-genre sort of thing over time with Shiren the Wanderer mystery dungeon games and the later Pokemon ones were made.

But yeah, Rogue defined it. The meaning of rogue-like has been condensed over the years, and the mystery dungeon formula is closer to it's root of Rogue than most things that get the genre name these days.

Just a bit of history, not really a meme.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Keep current Gen consoles stock mod last gen imo