Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Can you elaborate please?
They are using a neural network to try and classify things then use software to try and predict where they are going instead of using an end to end model that handles everything in the network. Think about it, if you are driving by a bike rack with a hundred bikes that is going to have to try and classify each one and model the physics behind each one. That takes a lot of power. They are also trying to create "HD maps" for their cars to follow, which is just silly and will always be out of date. One of the times they hit someone was coming out of a bike rack, they programmed the car to ignore areas with bike racks to save all that processing power they are wasting.

Comma is using an end to end model, and that is why they are better than everyone else right now. This includes Tesla, they don't have a couple of features that Tesla has but the important one is coming soon and should be here by the end of the year.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
They are using a neural network to try and classify things then use software to try and predict where they are going instead of using an end to end model that handles everything in the network. Think about it, if you are driving by a bike rack with a hundred bikes that is going to have to try and classify each one and model the physics behind each one. That takes a lot of power. They are also trying to create "HD maps" for their cars to follow, which is just silly and will always be out of date. One of the times they hit someone was coming out of a bike rack, they programmed the car to ignore areas with bike racks to save all that processing power they are wasting.

Comma is using an end to end model, and that is why they are better than everyone else right now. This includes Tesla, they don't have a couple of features that Tesla has but the important one is coming soon and should be here by the end of the year.

Saying end to end model is pretty vague though, I'm not following the difference Comma has. If they don't do all that processing, the physics of all scanned vehicles, HD maps and whatnot like you listed, then what exactly are they doing?

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
Saying end to end model is pretty vague though, I'm not following the difference Comma has. If they don't do all that processing, the physics of all scanned vehicles, HD maps and whatnot like you listed, then what exactly are they doing?

The neural network stuff is all vague, it's hard to know what they are actually doing. The gist of it is they train a model based off of the current and previous frame as well as where the driver is driving based on recorded inputs of the driver from the CAN bus. The model then outputs where the car should go based purely on the model. The model figures out what is important based on all of that data that is being used to train it.

Another advantage Comma had over Tesla was driver monitoring. They use IR LEDs and a camera that can accept IR for it. Tesla has since started to do the same thing however.

Jiehfeng

The One
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
The neural network stuff is all vague, it's hard to know what they are actually doing. The gist of it is they train a model based off of the current and previous frame as well as where the driver is driving based on recorded inputs of the driver from the CAN bus. The model then outputs where the car should go based purely on the model. The model figures out what is important based on all of that data that is being used to train it.

Another advantage Comma had over Tesla was driver monitoring. They use IR LEDs and a camera that can accept IR for it. Tesla has since started to do the same thing however.

So like, they have a real driver drive in the locations they think people will drive in and record that driver's movements so that it will go similarly when someone drives in that same area? I reckon though there's still that processing you mentioned before for collision detection and whatnot, a bike rack can be anywhere as well, though I guess it's less processing if it's only for select things. Assuming I understood.

Though honestly I can't tell if it's still better. Even if it's more intensive, all that processing should in theory be more dynamic and be able to respond to situations intelligently which sounds safer. As this thing is meant to be widespread moreso in the future, processing power should be able to catch up as well to give more headroom.

gudenau

Largely ignored
Trophies
Website
www.gudenau.net
XP
Country
United States
So like, they have a real driver drive in the locations they think people will drive in and record that driver's movements so that it will go similarly when someone drives in that same area? I reckon though there's still that processing you mentioned before for collision detection and whatnot, a bike rack can be anywhere as well, though I guess it's less processing if it's only for select things. Assuming I understood.

Though honestly I can't tell if it's still better. Even if it's more intensive, all that processing should in theory be more dynamic and be able to respond to situations intelligently which sounds safer. As this thing is meant to be widespread moreso in the future, processing power should be able to catch up as well to give more headroom.

All driving with a Comma is recorded by the servers and only data that is different enough from data they already has is kept. It's amazing how much progress they have made compared to the other companies, some of which started before them. All of these other companies that are doing self driving tech also have a heck of a lot more money. If they where using the same approach that Comma was they could train models far more and sell hardware at a loss to get more data from more areas.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

It makes sense to make it work right, then work on making it more efficient, people's well being is at risk here.

Comma's system works better than ever other system, including Tesla's. It works better and at less cost.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Jayro @ Jayro: The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.