Croatia
cqnGKX0.gif

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Meh, I'd like to see both. I love the traditional format, but after first playing morrowind as a child I desperately wanted an open world zelda game. I waited the best part of 15 years for botw style zelda and I'm not ready to give it up yet.

When I checked mine, I was nothing but disappointed :shy:
The Wind Waker's got a semi-open world. though dungeon exploration and story are linear, and that's a fantastic game.

ALttP and ALBW both allow you to complete dungeons in almost any order, save for needing to complete the Pendant dungeons to get the (unbreakable) Master Sword to unlock the second set of dungeons to save maidens/sages (and in ALBW, needing to save one particular sage to get the Sand Rod, needed for another dungeon).

If these two ideas were combined, then we'd have a brilliant open-world Zelda game, that's much truer to the core appeal of the series than BotW and TotK's narrow-minded focus on overworld exploration and lack of an expansive arsenal of equipment (not to mention stamina and fragile weapons and shields) ever could be.

Reactions: impeeza

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
  • Wow
Reactions: impeeza

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If I can easily and quickly purchase or grind resources, then I don't mind using them.
For example, I can buy Potions from practically any mart in Pokémon, so I feel no reason to hoard those restoratives; in some games, I can even grow Leppa Berries for PP-restoring. This is also why I absolutely despise forced auto-heals, that modern games are chock-full of, as it renders the items I've bought or found worthless.

Or, in the case of something that's supposed to be incredibly rare, take Megalixirs in Bravely Default (the first one, on 3DS). Those are normally in very short supply...unless you farm them from Guzzlers, once you reach Chapter 5 onwards. Reduce their BP so they can't attack (or more saliently, run away), then steal 2 Megalixirs from each Guzzler using the Thief Job.
It can take a decent while to amass 99 items, but Guzzlers aren't particularly rare thankfully, so I don't feel any need to hoard Megalixirs in BD. Heck, they can be awesome weapons if you use the Salve-Maker's "Turn Toxic" ability, where each item deals 9999 HP and 999 SP damage to all foes (and since you have four party members, and they can each do four moves per turn if you Brave enough, you can potentially do 9999*16 = 159,984 HP damage, more than enough for almost every boss).

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
COD and Heartstone is keeping it alive. Plus all idiots buying microtransactions in Diablo 4.
Well yeah, they're not in any danger of going financially bankrupt, only creatively bankrupt. Diablo 4 is a hit because it was developed by Vicarious Visions, so that was almost cheating in a way.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Well yeah, they're not in any danger of going financially bankrupt, only creatively bankrupt. Diablo 4 is a hit because it was developed by Vicarious Visions, so that was almost cheating in a way.
The whole gaming industry is creatively bankrupt. It's just Indies that seem to bring new ideas.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The whole gaming industry is creatively bankrupt. It's just Indies that seem to bring new ideas.
Can't necessarily agree with that, SF6 is the best Street Fighter game since 3rd Strike and it maintains its own identity despite borrowing a few things from it. Then there's Larian keeping AAA cRPGs alive and Housemarque finally bringing roguelikes to AAA gaming. FromSoft has pretty much always been in a league of their own too, and they've got AC6 this year followed by the Elden Ring expansion next year.

2023 feels like the year we finally got beyond all the COVID delays and started to see the dam break on new releases.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    I'm going to melt
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Going to smoke a bowl, eat pizza, drink a beer, and watch I Saw the TV Glow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Why do people on YouTube keep making themselves glow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    oh joy, heat wave all week where i live
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    plus there's thunder and lightning outside, and it'll rain soon, there's somehow no tornado watch tho
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and to make it worse, the heat didn't sway my brother away from wanting to spend some time swimming on his birthday tomorrow
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idr where in the US the heat wave is
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    idk if I'm in it or not
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    midwest, near me and bigonya
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    ah fuck NJ is in the heat wave
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    we're cooked, possibly literally
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    if you have a habitable basement, the heat shouldn't be down there and that's where you should hang out
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    No, but, the air conditioner in my living room gets fuckin icy
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    In a good way, not as in a "my coils are freezing" kind of way
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Not everyone lives in theirs mom's basement gosh
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    nah, my mom's basement is just for the weekends to check in on the family
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i usually live in your mom's basement
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    saves a lot of time fr
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It's 11:30 PM here, I just took the trash out and my god is it awful outside
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    This heatwave can eat my ass
    +1
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    omg same, it's VERY hot here, too
    MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight: omg same, it's VERY hot here, too