The main distinction between preloader and Starfall

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Puma, May 1, 2009.

1. Puma
    OP

Member Puma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Since some people are stupid and can't realize this, I had to point it out.

Preloader and starfall were both coded by crediar. What seems to amaze me is the fact that people still think StarFall is safer than preloader, for one reason or another.

This is why preloader is MUCH safer.

Starfall creates a hacks.ini with the hacks you tell it to, similar to preloader.

Preloader, however, moves the system menu to a different spot, puts itself in the old spot, and also gives you StarFall hacks, customizeable via SD, so there is a limitless possibility on hacks now.

Oh, and BTW. Preloader has GC controller support, so if your wiimote won't sync, you can use a gamecube D-pad to navigate.

2. bdr9

Member bdr9 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The reason some people think Preloader is dangerous is because they hear that Preloader moves the system menu file and makes a new one, and starfall just makes safe edits to the existing one.

3. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well some people are just stupid and keep making pointless threads like this,
    People can like whatever they want, the last thing We Stupid people need is someone telling Me or Us what we like or need,
    Maybe Preloader is best for you, buts its not for me, I've used both and i know what i like,

4. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Very Much agreed and as far as I recal the Starfall tool never create a hack.ini file but rather physically patched system menu it's self. Either way in some ways preloader has more overall perks but at the same time offers a more dangerous install than the starfall like patches.

5. Puma
    OP

Member Puma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It probably does. I used it as an example because of the similarity. I haven't talked to crediar about it yet. Nor do I care enough to ask, I'm just saying thats how it seems.

6. Hells Guardian

Member Hells Guardian GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Ah I see. Fair enough.

7. Shinigami Kiba

Member Shinigami Kiba GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
    I'd use preloader but I keep hearing about people messing up when installing it or bricking their wiis with it installed after formatting the system memory.
    My Wii system memory sometimes corrupts, dunno why it just does and a quick format fixes it, I can't remember if i had to reinstall HBC and starfall after formatting last time couple months ago, but I know nothing messed up.

I understand that the bricking glitch after formatting only happened with reploader something.28 and that in the .29 version it was fixed, but i still keep hearing of people having more problems with preloader than with starfall.

I'm not the smartest guy around when it comes to stuff like this so i'd rather not mess with this stuff till bootmii comes out, my system works fine and i want to mess with it as little as possible, i don't even like installing WADs to it unless i have to.

8. Puma
    OP

Member Puma GBAtemp Fan

United States
    It's actually not a glitch. Formatting is designed to wipe everything except IOS's and the system menu (0000001/0000002/0000001.app). Since the 0000001.app is now preloader, it wipes the systemmenu thinking preloader is the real system menu.

9. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I use Starfall only since I'm on 3.2 and I don't want to add to my Wii's boot time and such. I'm pretty sure I'll only make the jump to 4.0 once BootMii is out.

10. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    Preloader isn't only for 4.0. Not even the latest version.

With the correct settings, Preloader runs without any mess ups.

Also, if you can't wait an extra second or two, why were you using Gamma? (Since it reads far more slower than originals).

Yes, I said 'were'.

11. icefireicefire

Member icefireicefire GBATemp Fails.

United States
    The format is fixed in the latest preloader, and the only brick is by installing iOS60 again, and you just fix that with re-installing prelaoder..

BTW...having a hacks.ini file on nand CAN NOT possibly corrupt the wii. and same for the install, the brick chance is pretty much the same.

12. Mark McDonut

Member Mark McDonut GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Starfall didn't fuck with me on april 1st.

13. afif95

Member afif95 I own a bungalow on Mars, and booked 4 corner lots

Malaysia
    And that is why you're staying away from Preloader?

Yes, I admit, it is a bad April fools joke, but let's face it, it's a great app. Heck, even better than Starfall. So it's a bad joke that's only done for one day, so what? Regardless, it's a good app.

14. micric100

Member micric100 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    hahahaha ya that was mean i agree

15. mikezila

Newcomer mikezila Member

United States
    The April fools day joke was cruel, but it was a clever joke. It's no worse than someone setting your desktop wallpaper to one of those pictures that makes it look like the screen is cracked.

Although I guess the possibility did exist for someone to fly off the chain and try to do some "repairs" that caused actual problems when there were none.

16. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    I rarely used the gamma launcher since most of my games are legit.

17. Justin121994

Member Justin121994 Bitcoin. coinbase.com/andrew

United States
    Does any off u know how to install preloader cuz i updated with waninkokos updater to 4.0 and patched ios 60 and preloader cant install cuz it says something about a facksigning bug but i cant read the rest since its cut off lol on top??any ideas

Can someone pm o tell me or just reply heere plzz

18. Sibe

Newcomer Sibe Member

Australia
    Never really cared for getting Preloader on before since I had Starfall, but thought I'd give Softmii a try and it works fine for me.

From what I know, it is more dangerous to use and install preloader, but at the same it offers better brick protection with the whole loading by holding reset thing to fix your system if something went wrong. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the movable disc channel it offers (as well as other stuff, and the themes that softmii offers), I didn't have any trouble with it. Before hand I had mostly a self-done softmodded wii following various guides and putting on different ios' when I needed them (e.g. MadWorld). Differences are minor overall, just mostly the look and feel that is different, still had the same stuff.

19. paul3100

Member paul3100 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Well im on 3.2u and everything and i mean everything works completly fine and that includes starfall so no need to fix what ain't broken!

Brick protection & update blocker is all thats really needed tbh

paul

20. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    i thought starfall wii region free was not working?