The Guardian Legend Homebrew, Need Testers!

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by creffca, Jul 23, 2009.

Jul 23, 2009
  1. creffca
    OP

Member creffca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The guardian legend is an old nintendo game that doesn't seem to have any clones, so here is the start of mine. This is a pre-alpha version (the project is only two weeks old) but I want to make sure the shooter engine runs ok on various computers. It has a single level (although the editor is there for anyone who wants to make a new level) that throws a bunch of enemies on screen at certain points to test frame rate.

If anyone out there tries it out I'd appreciate it if you would post your frame rate (which can be seen in the upper left corner of the game) along with how much RAM, which Gfx card you have, and your CPU speed.

I'd also like it if major bugs are pointed out (sound skipping, incorrect animations, crashes), but please no "omg ur game sux" type comments as I haven't even started designing game content yet, this is just an engine test.

The link:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=ad03ce6...04e75f6e8ebb871

If you get an error running the game you'll need .NET 3.5 from microsoft:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Read the readme!!!!

P.S. Sprites are ripped from the nintendo game, but I'm not against putting in new sprites/tiles if there are any talented artists out there [​IMG]

2. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->I tested its pretty good, ill share bugs later, mind if I can look at the source?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

Vista Home Premium Laptop
    CPU AMD Turion64 1.9 gig cpu
    2.0 gig ram
    512 Shared Memory ati express video card

Game runs @ 119 fps

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Screenshot<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Debug Text<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

3. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    My game runs at about 586 FPS. My specs are in my signature.

EDIT: Ran it again and it went to 428 FPS. Nice song by the way.

4. creffca
    OP

Member creffca GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Thanks for trying it out you guys. Confirming it runs on other cpu's means I can go forward with the development. I'm extremely happy it runs at 100+fps on shared memory computers, was being very lazy with video memory.

Sorry emupaul, no source. Only because its very sloppy and a bit embarrassing for anyone to see. Trust me, it'd do more harm than good for you to look at it. The end project though will be 100% customizable (except custom enemy behaviors) via the editing tool BlueLander.

The music credits are in the readme. I'm using them without original authors' permssions...I really should stop procrastinating contacting them as the music really does add a lot even to such a small demo.

5. emupaul

Member emupaul GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I understand I feel the same way about my projects too but if i sit back and reflect on it, i knows its pretty darn good.
    I have been working a 3d game engine, design the UI in QT and everything else with opengl/sdl & dxd as video drivers,
    so far it can load fog,2d assets and 3d assets md3,md2,md5,3ds max models and milkshape3d models, lighting/shaders can be applied to any model format/scene (basic) and and input from controllers and little bit of game & camera logic like walking models. Icons all hand made on the left floating bar, the top bar icons i found.