The general hatred online of NSMB and you

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
When the first NSMB dropped on the DS I was all "Eh" because it in no way shape or form felt like it equaled or bettered SMW. Played a couple of stages and that was it. Then Nintendo in a really bizarre move seemed to release a veritable slew of NSMB titles everywhere which was quite odd and it felt really over saturated, not to mention the blatant recycling of a crappy art style and mediocre music. More to ignore.

I decided to give the DS version a spin a while back and found the controls very floaty and "off" but after playing SML2 on the GBA - Which is an absolute tour de force of level design, graphic quality, music etc.. and very impressive for the hardware it was running on - and trying NSMB DS again it clicked as the physics are very similar and to my surprise I discovered a very good game underneath what seemed so uninspired as everything has been placed with precision and its got a great curve. Better still is that each level has a groove that you can flow through very intuitively and thats a really great addition but what impressed me the most was this:

The Wii U version is exceedingly good as illustrated and sets a high water mark in 2D Marios that most people are totally unaware of and is lots of fun. Its the pinnacle of the style and if you play it first the others aren't worth checking as its so refined but what is so intriguing is what I read online.

It was said that the entire NSMB wave was based on "What if SMW didn't exist?" as they took the original NES concept and move forwards with it and then it starts to make sense for those of us expecting SMW2. Shame that the best one is the one the least amount of people have played.

Also of note is that console Stans often riff on Nintendo saying "Teh graphix are crap!" which are met with replies of "Muh gameplay" and yet those self same people did exactly the same thing with this franchise and wrote it off based on visuals without even giving the game a chance, much like people who run off to play "Zombie shooter football creed +1 edition" with shinier graphics this year and no underlying change in the mechanics of the game.

Hopefully one or two of you will check this out with fresh eyes, or at the very least give Super Mario Land 2 another spin first as that is what really makes it click. Or if you have played all of them which one is the best and what do you think of the series?

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love the series as a whole but loved the wii version more than the wii u one for some reason. I think after playing the ds and wii versions so much (also fully modding every level the wii version myself - another story! ) i think i was maybe tired out by the time U and luigi U came out. Really didn't care for the 3ds version tho..... The whole coins everywhere giving too many extra lives... Just wasn't on board. Should maybe try the U versions again niw it's been a while.

The weirdest thing tho..... Play the wii version with the shake mechanic, then play the ds version and see how many times you shake your ds out of habit!!!

Of course, the newer team helped keep it alive I think with their superb efforts and games on wii and ds.... Check them out if you can.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I always felt the same about the NSMB games as you did initially. They are nothing compared to SMW, and sadly I still feel that to a large degree. I'm not saying the NSMB games are bad but god damn, Super Mario World is so shockingly full of personality and wonder that just isn't there in NSMB. I played through NSMBU recently and I had a good time with it, but I don't remember a single level, nothing stands out. It's just good.

I always wanted a new Super Mario World with the same snappy physics and the spinning and the perfect item throwing and carrying mechanics.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Yeah, I agree that SMW is hard to top as it did everything it did so perfectly but on the other hand had Nintendo just rolled out SMW Redux people would've complained that they are unoriginal and milking an old idea etc... and still refused to play it.

The one thing that is bad about this series is the obvious asset recycling which gives it a bland personality but the gameplay mechanics are sheer awesome platforming goodness.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I agree that SMW is hard to top as it did everything it did so perfectly but on the other hand had Nintendo just rolled out SMW Redux people would've complained that they are unoriginal and milking an old idea etc... and still refused to play it.

The one thing that is bad about this series is the obvious asset recycling which gives it a bland personality but the gameplay mechanics are sheer awesome platforming goodness.
Yeah well, how about Super Mario World 2? :D
I don't see why all future 2D Marios have to be NSMB, or why the alternative to that would be remakes.

Deleted member 42501

OP
Trophies
XP
Was observing this earlier:

And noticed he skipped directly from SMW to NSMB whilst discounting Super Mario Land 2 when discussing the physics. Ye gads, we're talking about the physics of a fat pixelated Japanese plumber with a stereo typically Italian voice and the variances of his locomotion therein.

If that isn't 1st world problems I don't know what is. Folks you've really got to play SML2, not just for how awesomely designed it is or the catchy tunes or even how impressive what they achieved with the hardware as the leap from the original to the sequel is like going from Atari 2600 to a Jaguar except it isn't crap. Then and only them will the physics of NSMB click like they were supposed to and you too, foul Call of Duty playing heathen that you are, may enjoy this merriment.

Proof of Marios faith:

qboj0bblv6e41.jpg

Its also suspected that Sonic was in fact of the Islamic persuasion as he could often be heard chanting about he "Needed to go fast"

k4PLnFe.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out