Asking communauty for help finding the name of a Dos shoot'them'up

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi Experts!
I'm asking the communauty, specially the Japanese people for help trying to find the name of an old MS-DOS Game..
Somehow, it seems to have been forgotten from all memories, only mine.
I'm 48, so this shoot must be from the 90's I would say....what's important about it:
It was the first better shoot them up on dos as good as on a amiga, and that was something amazing at that time!
It had a amazing introduction very fluid , it was a JAPANESE vertical shoot them up nicely colored comparable to Xenon 2 with very good music also!!
It was only taking one floppy 1M44 floppy disk, I've never seen anywhere on abandonware, that's a problem.....
You could play it with the keyboard.
Could someone of that century or video game historians give me possible game names??

Reactions: impeeza

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any chance it's SideLine you're talking about? It ticks most of your boxes.
It is a DOS sh'mup.
It released in 1996.
It was made by a taiwanese team.
It looks equal to or better than an Amiga game.
It was lost to time and never found on old game sites until recently.

Check out info about it here: http://sideline.ghegs.com/

The only things against it are that it wasn't one floppy and it's horizontal not vertical. Figured it was worth taking a shot at it tho since memory from our youth can be a fickle thing. I'm 46 so I know what that can be like. :D

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty sure that using the unabbreviated word "them" in the genre name is illegal in every country on Earth.

The only name that springs to mind as an early DOS shoot-em-up is Tyrian, but that's far from obscure and not Japanese.

• Haha
Reactions: impeeza

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nope, not Tyrian of course, everyone knows that title....It's not japanese and there no intro, and it's not unknown at all.
SideLine....Great game that I didn't know of so not very famous....But it's not that one....It not horizontal but vertical, thanks for answering with a nice reply! Any other Ideas people?? I need a WINNER!!!
The main Sprite was a spaceship, like a kind of aeroplane.....Come on, any Japanese at least 45 Yo around here?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea, but I'll throw out 2 of my favorites from that time, OverKill and Raptor: Call of the Shadows.

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
No, it's much more unknown that OverKill and Raptor: Call of the Shadows...Those are not Taiwanese or Japanese.....You can find those 2 Easily in abandonwares.....The one I'm speaking of is rare and very hidden gem....Did you know sideline that Esmith13 propose? That is very unknown and a hidden jewel for Ms-Dos, but mine is Vertical and can STAND On a 1M44 HDD DISK!! (sidemine is 550MB stands on a CD).....The game I'm talking about must be taiwanese, anyone can give me where I can find all taiwanese and jap dos firm makers?

Last edited by mrmagicm,

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice try Wa59!! Baryon is quite good indeed/Vertical south korean, quite easily findable on abandonware, it takes 2.4MB so a bit more than a disk...but It is not the title I search. Baryon is quite Slow but colorfull on background.
I've checked the creator of Baryon, Kingsformation CO, but they didn't do any other shoot, I think it's before 95.

I remember a jap/thai/South korean vertical shooter game with a INTENSE intro with music (better than any other shoot!!), the background was kinda black and even much better shooter than Baryon to me!! It was the SECOND BEST SHOOTER on DOS after Tyrian or maybe even the first I would say, that is why I don't understand why no one remember of it!!! (it was asian and very RARE, that's why!!)
Just like Dungeon master on atari ST (best game EVER for the size of a floppy, with wonderboy which is 89Kb I would say!!) This shoot was amazing for it's size just like them!! Maybe I can't remember the Title because it was ASIAN I think.....
It was a bit like ChoRenSha but for DOS and before!!! So imagine how good it was!!
Please, if you are ASIAN, help me to remember that title!! It was on DOS on ONE floppy disk for sure,

Last edited by mrmagicm,

torrent_get

Trophies
XP
Country
dawn-raider_1.png

Dawn Raider.

Reactions: hippy dave

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Nice try Torrent_get.....we are getting closer thanks to you, this game you cited is from 1990, the firm that made this game is "SOFTSTAR", they made another game called "Mirage Thunder: DIF-2" in 1993, this game has good music/Graphic.....That game is even better than Dawn raider you said, this might be what I was Searching, so I had a look.....Mmmm, it's very Ressemblant, but not has good in my memories, and the intro is no that......But indeed, it very similar, it take around 5MB so could have been almost that once uncompressed.....
Just to say to the communauty, this Prove that "Mirage Thunder", a game no one knew about can be as good as Raptor/TyrianBecause it is really nice! The Arcade Style makes me think the game I am searching is a shooter from 1990 to 1993. Please Help communauty or Torrent_get if you know some others!!!

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France

testing123...Didn't remember flying tigers was under dos (it's on multiple platform), it's a very good dos game, but not the asian game i'm searching that isn't in this video...I Feel desperate to find it, it was the best shooter game, maybe with flying tigers indeed.​

Jayro: sorry, it's not raptor, raptor is very well know like tyrian, it's a very unfamous game that I have never seen the title for 30 years and I look video on youtube every day!!​

torrent_get : No I haven't probe that knowledge base, but how to use it if you don't know the title?? That's why i'm using this forum here, it this forum better than GBATEMP forum? I doubt it, there are experts (and I'm maybe one of the best experts ever, 40 years of gaming, I know ALMOST EVERY GAMES and can't find this one, that's why i'm searching for an expert as old (40 YO of gaming) and wise in VG as me.... It in my brain but cannot recall it! I'll try the forum you've pointed me.​

mrmagicm

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Still no found...Seems no one can help, so difficult to find....I need an asian expert that played a lot of dos games please!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.