The Future Of Mobile Gaming

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iOS. But as already pointed out, the true gaming potential of either device is severely stunted compared to a proper handheld system like PSP.

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think games like this should remain on handhelds with buttons.
It's bad enough trying to play a NES emulator on my phone without slipping out of the control region.

It might be okay if there's more screen to touch though. (4.3 inches)
tongue.gif

AeroblitzR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phone gaming is just a fad.
don't get me wrong, i luvs me sum plats v. zombies, but when it comes to REAL gaming...

these developers should stop wasting their time on limited, goofy phones that in the end are no good for real games.

RLLY hope this comes out for 3ds/ngp, looks kinda clutch

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AeroblitzR said:
don't get me wrong, i luvs me sum plats v. zombies, but when it comes to REAL gaming...

these developers should stop wasting their time on limited, goofy phones that in the end are no good for real games.

In the end, you're wrong. I can see mobile gaming getting even bigger. But not with the kind of games they keep putting out right now. Think about it. Phones nowadays can emulate the PSX. Phones are quite capable of gaming. However...no one is really putting in the time and effort it'd take to make a good game. And that's because of price. They have to keep them low-tech because of prices of the phones themselves.

I can see mobile gaming as an alternative...because let's face it. Are our "dedicated" gaming platforms really all that dedicated? No. 3DS can do music, internet, games, video. PSP can do that, and even has skype and possibly other messengers. The 360 can do video to certain extent...so it's closer to a "dedicated" gaming system. PS3 is a fullblown media center. It's not a dedicated gaming platform, no matter how well it does them. It was built to do more then that.

And that's exactly what smartphones are now. Built to do multiple things.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I play games on my Galaxy S but they're just five minute diversions on my lunch break, they're not really 'games' if you ask me. Compared to the epic story of a good RPG on a major console, the phone market's got nothing. There's some amusing stuff on there, especially the mighty Android market where I just found a touch screen controlled remake of the NES classic Duck Hunt, but it just lacks the depth of a dedicated gaming machine. Compared to my SNES and PS2, the Galaxy S is nothing special. Alchemy is good fun but it's no match for Super Metroid. And compare 'Slice It!' to Final Fantasy 6. No contest.

The future of gaming is developers remembering what made games great in the first place instead of just trying to make a quick buck pleasing the short term 'casual' crowds that will soon get bored of stuff like Kinect and move on to the next fad, probably this Zumba thing from what I've heard. Then the market will dry up because everyone's been so focussed on casual games they've not made anything serious for years, leaving the hardcore gamers bored. Then we suffer another market crash, and with any luck Nintendo or somebody will help our beloved hobby to rise from the ashes again by giving the gamers what they want.

Sorry, went off on a bit of a tangent there...

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shinkukage09 said:
AeroblitzR said:

In the end, you're wrong. I can see mobile gaming getting even bigger. But not with the kind of games they keep putting out right now. Think about it. Phones nowadays can emulate the PSX. Phones are quite capable of gaming. However...no one is really putting in the time and effort it'd take to make a good game. And that's because of price. They have to keep them low-tech because of prices of the phones themselves.

I can see mobile gaming as an alternative...because let's face it. Are our "dedicated" gaming platforms really all that dedicated? No. 3DS can do music, internet, games, video. PSP can do that, and even has skype and possibly other messengers. The 360 can do video to certain extent...so it's closer to a "dedicated" gaming system. PS3 is a fullblown media center. It's not a dedicated gaming platform, no matter how well it does them. It was built to do more then that.

And that's exactly what smartphones are now. Built to do multiple things.
The thing is the 3DS/NGP was built for mainly gaming therefor they will always be better than a phone with gaming as a after thought.

imz

GBAtemp's vigilante
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The only problem with smartphone gaming is that a new smartphone comes out every year with better features and game developers are constantly looking for the best hardware to work with so it's likely even if you buy the latest device it will be obsolete within a couple of years, this is particularly true for android phones. The reason this problem does not exist with gaming devices is that when you buy a recently released device you can guarantee it will be the standard for the next 5-6 years (different versions of the same system don't count e.g. DS lite)

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be *brutally* honest, if a cell phone came out with buttons for gameplay, I'd gladly chuck out my 3DS, DS, and PSP.

And then the Xperia came out. Oh well then 3DS, you had a short run.

shakirmoledina

Legend
Trophies
Website
vfootball.co.nf
XP
Country
Tanzania
there is a difference between mobile gaming and phone gaming. Now unless one says mobile means mobile telephones then yes its not like a phone was made to play a game even an iphone. They have tried very hard but still havent reached par with a full fledged gaming handheld be it psp or nds etc.
Graphically this looks fantastic/fabulous and something that ppl would not have seen 10 years ago (at least where i live)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm