The dust has settled.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Saturnplanet5, Jan 16, 2007.

1. Madrigal

Madrigal GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2006
    Canada
    Victoria, B.C
    "Trustworthy" isn't a word I would use to describe him. I remember when the Supercard Lite came out, he spammed across several forums that it would have massive slowdowns without an ultra high speed Micro SD card and that the footage of the Castlevania intro playing without stutters that the SC team released before the SC Lite came out was fake and it would NEVER play without stutters on a regular Micro SD. Well, we all know how that worked out. And that's just one example.

2. Saturnplanet5
    OP

Saturnplanet5 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 8, 2006
    [​IMG] Hahaha!

[​IMG]

All I've got to say about the card is that it is pure genius. I can't pick a fault with it at the moment. POR only freezes when you try to teleport and happens so rarely it's barely a bother. There's usually a save point nearby so it's just a matter of saving before you teleport. All the roms I had problems with when using the SCSD work with no problem on this card. [/fanboy]

3. [M]artin

[M]artin .

Nov 7, 2006
    United States
    It's not delivery, it's Digiorno, f00! [​IMG]

4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Honorary R4 Fanboy

Dec 27, 2006
    Hull/Manchester, UK

^^

..haha but seriously, the product's looking great with a nice healthy stream of firmware updates which add more and more features each time. Going from 1.01 to 1.06 with various revisions in between in the space of 30 days, that's not bad going... let's just hope they keep it up. Game compatability seems to be unbeaten (unlucky for those few who struggle with C:POR and TH)... but with the right combination (kingston-jap) it really is 100% compat. Only problems nowadays seem to be GUI, downloadplay (difficult to overcome with mario game's secure area), and homebrew. GBA support was never really in mind when they designed this card, so I can't really say that that's a problem with it.

10/10

RE: kiruyana/FifthE1element... if that were true, then why are M3 cards in shops in hk/china? and also the R4 had a global worldwide release. There's also issues of firmware release times. There's just too much evidence and statements from M3 that point to the fact that R4 are the producers of both cards. Sorry, i'm not trying to be bitching... i'm just "fanboying" it up, as you seemed to have coined up.

5. Nestea80

Nestea80 GBAtemp Fan

Jul 25, 2006
    Canada
    LMFAO. Here in Canada, it goes "It's not delivery, it's Delicio" ... the brand has a different name.

6. gbasho

gbasho Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2006
    United States
    LMAO i'm so glad the carpet broke my fall haha

7. gbasho

gbasho Member

Newcomer
    Nov 25, 2006
    United States
    i'm extremely happy w/ my r4. it's so nice to have all my games on one cart; if i wanna play one game after playing another, i just push my the soft reset, and i'm back at the rom select. no card switching. no spamming the on/off switch; just smooth streamless exchange..

..and Chism's DLDI makes homebrew compatibility issues vanish, well almost (/glare Ninjapass X9TF, DS-X).

8. GexX2

GexX2 Lurker

Oct 23, 2006
    United States
    Tennesee, US
    M3 Team already said (in some other thread, on some other forum) that they were selling the M3, and that the R4 is being sold by their manufacturer. M3 Team /=/ R4 Team. Its just the same hardware.

9. manomanx2

manomanx2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2006
    United States
    Maybe it's

PARENT COMPANY -------> M3 AND R4 (spawnlings of said parent company)

10. manomanx2

manomanx2 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2006
    United States
    Saying that, who cares?

11. iisdev

iisdev Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 31, 2006
    post deleted by author.
    reason: CNET affiliation

12. Devante

Devante Crescent fresh at best.

Nov 29, 2002
    United States
    iisdev, that's just Engrish. Let me rephrase the bolded line for you.

4) The backlight should now turn off when closing the DS Lite.

13. Katalyst

Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    From H-Town, Residing in ATL.
    I think he understood that part and was telling rippon that that's probably why his R4 is drawing more power. He's using a firmware below 1.06beta which doesn't turn the light off when you close the DS. [​IMG]

14. jelbo

jelbo Ōkami!

Sep 12, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    Indeed, the little fag he is (edit: apologies for this outburst in my next post xD). His 'info' about the need for an Ultra II MicroSD made me buy an Ultra II MicroSD. It was just made up shit, regular Sandisks have the same performance on my SCLR.

Right now he's busy spamming his new 'Moddz' website across several forums. He just jumps in discussions and says things like "for more information about this flashcard and more, visit Moddz". And then users need to sign up to read anything. I actually respected him for all of his advice and stuff, but I totally lost it due to all the shit he does. [​IMG]

15. stoicstudios989

stoicstudios989 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2007
    Canada
    Since this is the first flashcart I have owned, I have nothing to compare it to.

IMHO the R4DS is awesome. It delivers on all advertised claims, and does it all incredibly well, even for a first timer like myself. I could have gotten the DSX or M3 Simply, but I decided to go with the least expensive product that does what I need it to do. In addition to DSOrganise and Doom, my R4 plays everything I have come acrossed perfectly, no issues at all. Custom skins were very easy to install as well.

Another 10/10.

I find it rather amusing that one can actually find a product of this quality for 1/3 the price of the DSX :).

16. Empyre

Empyre Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2006
    Farnborough (UK)
    I had quite a few heated 'discussions' with him on the MC forums about how PassMe/FlashMe/SuperPass worked. Annoyed the hell out of me so I spent a couple of days correcting all his posts but there were too many of them and it was too boring to keep up [​IMG]

It's not that he's malicious he is just ill informed and over opinionated (a dangerous combination), if he doesn't know something he makes it up and you can't make him see the truth.

You're being a bit strong calling him a fag though, he's just another personality on 'tinternet.

17. jelbo

jelbo Ōkami!

Sep 12, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    That explains a lot. Hmm, sorry for calling you a fag, Fifth (if he's reading along >_>), I'm just annoyed by spending an unnessecary double amount of cash on an Ultra II and your recent spamming [​IMG] I'll let it stay in my post since I said it and it's quoted as well. Oh, and sorry for going way offtopic.

Btw, R4 is working on a revision on R4's shipped after January 20, according to someone who wants to remain anonymous. Apparently they want to make the R4M3S soldering mod to be impossible.

18. Katalyst

Katalyst Johnald Everyperson

Oct 26, 2002
    United States
    From H-Town, Residing in ATL.
    Hey, as long as this so-called "revision" isn't any better than the current one, I'm fine. If it was, I'd feel like I was jipped and hope that they'd send me the revision free of charge. [​IMG]

19. jelbo

jelbo Ōkami!

Sep 12, 2003
    Netherlands
    Netherlands
    If it's true I guess they won't add any new features and just keep it compatible with current firmware.

20. sarah99

sarah99 Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2006
    I now have a X9 (beta2 GUI), DS1 (v1.1) and R4 (v1.06)

Metroid Prime Pinball
    1) barely works in the X9
    2) works very well in the DS1 with slight music stutter on a fast (Kingston Japan) TF card
    3) works perfectly in the R4 with no music stutter on a bog standard slow (Sandisk) TF card

To get a new release game to work you have to
    1) edit a data file with the game code name and correct memory save type on the X9 (notepad on a PC will do)
    2) change the save size setting to the correct size on the DS1 (done on DS)
    3) do nothing on the R4 (it works straight off)

The R4 is clearly the most advanced and simplest device to use with no thought needed, but the DS1 does have a nicer menu system.

All considered, buy the R4

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted