Hacking The Definitive Guide to Wii U Hacking

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for your input, pal. I didn't really buy Super Smash Bros to actually play it. I just bought it to use with Loadiine. If I had had higher interest in the game, I would have bought it earlier, and probably got a first print. So if the new print is useless with Loadiine, I might as well get rid of it, and hunt for a used first print.
The reprint isn't useless with Loadiine, you just have to spoof to 5.5.0 first so it will let you "play it." While I haven't got confirmation of anyone actually using a reprint for Loadiine, I'm 99% confident that it would be fine.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The reprint isn't useless with Loadiine, you just have to spoof to 5.5.0 first so it will let you "play it." While I haven't got confirmation of anyone actually using a reprint for Loadiine, I'm 99% confident that it would be fine.
Thanks, fiveighteen! I guess I will just have to try it by myself and see. Any downside to spoofing to 5.5.0 that you know of? Is it revertible (or upgradable) when 5.6.0 eventually comes out?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks, fiveighteen! I guess I will just have to try it by myself and see. Any downside to spoofing to 5.5.0 that you know of? Is it revertible (or upgradable) when 5.6.0 eventually comes out?
Don't blame me if I'm wrong :P but if you can spoof to 5.5.0 to play games that have an update on disc, I don't see any reason at all why Loadiine would treat it any differently. If you want to wait for confirmation or otherwise from another member it wouldn't be unwise.

Spoofing is not revertible. Basically, the Wii U has a version.bin file that tells what version you're on. Spoofing overwrites that file to say "5.5.0" instead of "5.3.2" so that when a game with 5.4.0 or 5.5.0 asks your system what version you're on, it thinks it's 5.5.0 and will be happy and still launch without wanting you to install a system update. AFAIK, this version.bin file can only be incremented (I thought @SonyUSA said there is a way to delete it and write a new one back to 5.3.2, but if something goes wrong you have a brick), so the only way to get back to a "normal" system is to do a full update (the rest of the system files) to 5.5.0 or whatever future FW comes out.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't blame me if I'm wrong :P but if you can spoof to 5.5.0 to play games that have an update on disc, I don't see any reason at all why Loadiine would treat it any differently. If you want to wait for confirmation or otherwise from another member it wouldn't be unwise.

Spoofing is not revertible. Basically, the Wii U has a version.bin file that tells what version you're on. Spoofing overwrites that file to say "5.5.0" instead of "5.3.2" so that when a game with 5.4.0 or 5.5.0 asks your system what version you're on, it thinks it's 5.5.0 and will be happy and still launch without wanting you to install a system update. AFAIK, this version.bin file can only be incremented (I thought @SonyUSA said there is a way to delete it and write a new one back to 5.3.2, but if something goes wrong you have a brick), so the only way to get back to a "normal" system is to do a full update (the rest of the system files) to 5.5.0 or whatever future FW comes out.
Interesting! I see the potential problems that could arise. I guess if the version.bin file can at least be upgradable to higher versions, it's still ok, since we don't want to move from 5.3.2. Thanks for all the information, that's exactly what I was looking for. As I said, I can be patient. I'll wait a bit and see if others have had first hand experience on using the reprint of Smash with Loadiine.

Reactions: fiveighteen

Ryuiku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay so i just went and got ssbu and i made sure the case read 83664A and i was all happy, i come home and put the disc in and its like "update!" i freak out, cancel it, and pull the disc out. the disc read "WUP-P-AXFE 02 USA S0" instead of "WUP-P-AXFE 00 USA S0" so im guessing this was a reprint? also should i worry about an update possibly cause it wanted to do that when i put the disc in and tried to play it? if so what do i do?

bartoruiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Correct. AFAIK, the Wii U does not direct traffic through the Primary DNS and the Secondary DNS, but only through the Primary unless it fails (which it then would try the Secondary). If it does fail through the Primary, isn't it better to have the Secondary there as nallar's rather than use 0.0.0.0 or 127.0.0.1 or something?

Let's put this in another perspective. Suppose you can setup more than 2 DNS, let's say 100 DNS owned by different people. You'll be very well protected against DNS outage and internet issues but that's not our goal. If DNS primary fails I rather keep it failing than trusting extra sources; Nintendo just need to buy 1 $oul (DDOS the rest) and we're all (using DNS only) waking up with 5.5.

Last edited by bartoruiz,

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's put this in another perspective. Suppose you can setup more than 2 DNS, let's say 100 DNS owned by different people. You'll be very well protected against DNS outage and internet issues but that's not our goal. If DNS primary fails I rather keep it failing than trusting extra sources; Nintendo just need to buy 1 $oul and we're all (using DNS only) waking up with 5.5.
A related question: Would a Secondary DNS set to 0.0.0.0 be certain to simply not connect to the internet? (or 127.0.0.1?)

okay so i just went and got ssbu and i made sure the case read 83664A and i was all happy, i come home and put the disc in and its like "update!" i freak out, cancel it, and pull the disc out. the disc read "WUP-P-AXFE 02 USA S0" instead of "WUP-P-AXFE 00 USA S0" so im guessing this was a reprint? also should i worry about an update possibly cause it wanted to do that when i put the disc in and tried to play it? if so what do i do?
Wow, that is news! I'm really curious to know what FW is on that disc, since 00 has 5.2.0 and 04 has 5.4.0. What FW is your system on? I'm wondering if 02 might have something in between, like 5.3.2?

I am looking into buying a Wii U with the Smash Bros Bundle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Basic-Pack-Super-Smash/dp/B00P68FXY4 although my retailer is Swedish) - what version do you think it is?

Also Hi! - lurker signing up!
Hi lurker :D

There really is no way to tell or guess. The older it is, the better. You have a much higher chance if it comes with a disc and not a download.

wilsey

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.emuxhaven.net
XP
Country
Just bought a spanking new Wii U Basic bundle from the Argos Store on ebay for £135 (Bargain)

It came with Version 1.0.2e , Am guessing they are clearing out old stock ...

Now to get my hands on a copy of Splatoon :D

Reactions: fiveighteen

Ryuiku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, that is news! I'm really curious to know what FW is on that disc, since 00 has 5.2.0 and 04 has 5.4.0. What FW is your system on? I'm wondering if 02 might have something in between, like 5.3.2?
im not sure. i was on 5.3.2U i just spoofed my firmware because i know i wanna do online play. it still asks about an update. maybe its an update for the game not the system? still scares me. should i let it?

bartoruiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
A related question: Would a Secondary DNS set to 0.0.0.0 be certain to simply not connect to the internet? (or 127.0.0.1?)

As soon as you setup the wifi you are connected to internet; DNS are just addons to make life easier.

DNS only translates domains hosts into IPs ( blahblah.nintendo.net -> 207.45.132.25 ), which is how machines talks (TCP/IP speaking)
That's how TubeHAX works, they translate everything as usual, except the nintendo and youtube hosts.

DNS servers works in the same manner as the Address Book in your cellphone; not having any contact saved doesn't mean you can dial directly a number. You might not set a DNS at all (0.0.0.0) and still access internet or fix94 website hacks trough http://81.4.126.191/wiiu/

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guide is missing:
What is DUMPIINE
What is SAVIINE
What is LOADIINE
What is WUP INSTALLER
What is TCP GECKO
What is CAFIINE

It's missing an overview section too. With these tools combined, what's possible with a 5.3.2 Wii U?

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im not sure. i was on 5.3.2U i just spoofed my firmware because i know i wanna do online play. it still asks about an update. maybe its an update for the game not the system? still scares me. should i let it?
Ah, that's definitely a game update then. No, do not "let it' update! Download the update with NUSGrabber on PC and install the updates with WUP Installer. I'm still curious what FW could be on the 02 disc though... Really thinking it's a 5.3.2 variant.

As soon as you setup the wifi you are connected to internet; DNS are just addons to make life easier.

DNS only translates domains hosts into IPs ( blahblah.nintendo.net -> 207.45.132.25 ), which is how machines talks (TCP/IP speaking)
That's how TubeHAX works, they translate everything as usual, except the nintendo and youtube hosts.

DNS servers works in the same manner as the Address Book in your cellphone; not having any contact saved doesn't mean you can dial directly a number. You might not set a DNS at all (0.0.0.0) and still access internet or fix94 website hacks trough http://81.4.126.191/wiiu/
Right, so what would be the advantage of having the Secondary DNS be 0.0.0.0 over nallar's DNS? The way I see it, you set Primary to TubeHax to block Nintendo, and Secondary to 0.0.0.0... If that fails, your Wii U is going to update, no? But if you set your Secondary DNS to nallar's DNS, then if TubeHax fails, nallar's would still block the URLs. Am I missing something here?

Ryuiku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that's definitely a game update then. No, do not "let it' update! Download the update with NUSGrabber on PC and install the updates with WUP Installer. I'm still curious what FW could be on the 02 disc though... Really thinking it's a 5.3.2 variant.
how would i go about checking? and i kinda figured the game update thing out and started it like half an hour ago. giving it another 10 mins cause 1.51gb is big :P still, i guess thats worth noting there is another disc print out there.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how would i go about checking? and i kinda figured the game update thing out and started it like half an hour ago. giving it another 10 mins cause 1.51gb is big :P still, i guess thats worth noting there is another disc print out there.
Glad you figured the update stuff out! The only way to know is to put the disc in someone's 5.2.0 Wii U offline and let it do the disc update, and see what lies on the other side...

Ryuiku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
welp, i sadly dont know anoyone in my area, so oh well :/ still, i kinda freaked when i saw 02. if anyone else comes up with it they should mention it to see if its like region or common or something.

bartoruiz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Right, so what would be the advantage of having the Secondary DNS be 0.0.0.0 over nallar's DNS?
You are trusting 2 sources instead of just 1. Take my last example, would you trust 100 diff people?, the risk just increase and it adds nothing having more

The way I see it, you set Primary to TubeHax to block Nintendo, and Secondary to 0.0.0.0... If that fails, your Wii U is going to update, no?
No, if primary DNS fails it will try second, which being 0.0.0.0 will fail too, then loop and keep failing. That's assuming Nintendo use DNS resolution only, they might switch to another update mechanism if both DNS fails, in that case you are right.

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You are trusting 2 sources instead of just 1. Take my last example, would you trust 100 diff people?, the risk just increase and it adds nothing having more
But who cares if nallar's fails if you have TubeHax as Primary? You'd only be screwed if both failed at the same time.

No, if primary DNS fails it will try second, which being 0.0.0.0 will fail too, then loop and keep failing. That's assuming Nintendo use DNS resolution only, they might switch to another update mechanism if both DNS fails, in that case you are right.
That's what I was asking when I said:
"A related question: Would a Secondary DNS set to 0.0.0.0 be certain to simply not connect to the internet? (or 127.0.0.1?)"

So 0.0.0.0 will refuse the Wii U from connecting to any internet source. In this case, I would agree that 0.0.0.0 is the best option as Secondary, and users would then choose to run TubeHax DNS or nallar's DNS as Primary (and no offense to nallar, but the obvious choice is TubeHax).

Last edited by fiveighteen,
Reactions: bartoruiz

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if this is a "durr" network question, but if i'm in wii mode (vWii hax) and want to update game title covers/art/etc, can the Wii U get updated if the all the DNS paths in the main guide aren't blocked on my router?

Just wondering if the Wii U can grap NOA updates while in wii mode, or certain Wii U functions are disabled while the emulator is running. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...