Gaming The Dark Spire!

Kishire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's here! its here!!! arg I wanna play it but I just recently been playing FFT A2
sleep.gif

rawr oh well I can play both >_>

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game is a lot more old-fashioned and nostalgic than Etrian Odyssey -- The Dark Spire is pretty much a remake of Wizardry, when you get down to it. Of course, I'm a huge fan of Wizardry, so I'm loving it, but YMMV.

This also makes it a lot harder (although not as hard as Wizardry -- it no longer costs 2000 gold to resurrect teammates, say, and there's no longer a chance of failing and having them crippled or permanently dead.) But the game has things like darkness zones and spinners and pit traps and so on, and poison / paralysis are deadly effects. Well, at least you can get cheap snake oil potions, which you definitely couldn't do in Wizardry.

Shistar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
Porkdish said:
Which version though?

The Amiga and IIGS versions where drop dead gorgeous in revolutionary 16 bit colour and the sound, god the sound. I still have the little ditty the bard in the guild plays/intro music in my head. I hear the atmospheric audio that occur every step in my head whenever I played Etrian Odyssey.

Did you see on the success website you can download PDF character sheets, and map grid paper!!!

Played them on an Apple II.....something or other. Mainly though, I was a C64 man back then. I played all the Phantasie games, Questron games, there was one called Legend of Blacksilver (which was a lot like Questron), a couple of the Bard's tale games were on C64 too. There's those ones I can't seem to remember the name of right now.....made by Origin and that "Lord British" dude......ULTIMA, that was it. The only Wizardry game I ever played was Wizardry 8, the graphics were a little too minimal for my tastes on most of the older ones.

Back in the day, I was big into RPG's and mapping dungeons on graph paper......glad we don't have to do that anymore. Nowadays, not so much. I burnt myself out on them and they can never seem to hold my interest much anymore.

I'm just hoping that Dark Spire might spark that old feeling I had back in the C64 days. Probably won't, but I can't try.

EDIT: Gamestop is showing as actually having the game in the stores now. I'd go buy it and dump it, but I was laid-off and am running purely on bank account money, so I ain't buying anything I don't absolutely have to.

EDIT2: The game is out in the scene if you know where to look.

Reading this inspired me to register and reply for the first time. I was also a C= 64 and Amiga fan. The games you mentioned flooded my memory and I had to add to your list of great games I played. Legacy of the Ancients, Times of Lore, Alternate Reality: The City, Faery Tale Adventure, Telengard (first one I ever played on the C=, I think it was on a datasette tape), Temple of Apshai Trilogy, Demon's Winter, and Might and Magic. I'm sure I'm forgetting some but thanks for the trip down memory lane
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Sigh