Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ONM is the offical nintendo magazine in europe.
They reviewed the conduit, a very hyped shooter for the wii. I was looking forward to it and I am sure a lot of you guys are too. But this is kinda dissapointing...
I beleive it is the first review, I might be wrong. They critised it for being outdated and it looked like 10 years old.
The summary was
Varied, enjoyable weaponry
Assured shooting gameplay
Nice plot
Repetitive action
Dodgy grenade mechanic
blink.gif

Anyways what are your thoughts?
Will you still buy?

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ReverseFate said:
If everyone base their game purchase solemnly on game reviews, then no one would ever buy any games anymore....
Good point, but the way this game has been hyped up I think a better review would be excpected. I'm still going to probally pick this one up

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ONM seems to only give a handful of non-Nintendo games raving reviews, in my opinion. And people still say it is the SINGLE best FPS game for the Wii. I considered Onslaught to be the best until this (I know it's WiiWare, but the only was great and the control scheme was a lot better than MoH: H2), so it wasn't too too hard to win that crown, but still. It'll be amazing.

9th_Sage

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Someone (I forget who) in the most current RebelFM podcast said that The Conduit felt like "Perfect Dark" (on the N64(....they all agreed this was a very good thing. Maybe it'll capture some of what made PD and GoldenEye good.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looks 10 years outdated... So it looks like a new Wii game then?
I think the official mags are usually there to serve as advertising for first party titles more than giving honest reviews.

Like all Wii titles I get, this will be a download first and if it proves itself a purchase. I don't need a review to tell me what I like.
That said if I read nothing but negatives about a game I'm interested in I'll put off trying it myself. But anything that looks interesting gets a trial and a few (very few) get a purchase.

maduin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've learned to never trust reviews when it comes to Wii games, it usually comes down to whether or not the reviewer has a real grasp of the Wii audience. A game like the conduit is tailored to the so-called "core" gamer, so that makes it doubly hard to review a game for a system that goes for the "casual" gamer. The Wii is the first system to have both kinds of gamers playing. I for one haven't had much hope for the conduit since it was first announced, which means I'll probably enjoy it since I already have lowered expectations.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
maduin said:
The Wii is the first system to have both kinds of gamers playing.Whilst I believe this to be completely untrue (My mum used to play Alex Kidd in Miracle World on a casual basis on the master system) I understand your point. The Wii is popular, really popular and it sells games to people that aren't into gaming. The Conduit doesn't fit the typical market of Wii game buyers. Most people like to 'play Wii' as if it is the game itself, playing it is using it and that is enough for many. I believe most 'core' (what is that supposed to mean exactly? hardcore?) gamers are not playing Wii that much. It is my personal experience that my gamer friends and I spend more time and money on XBOX than Wii because of the number of quality engaging titles available and the multiplayer experience that is worth paying extra for.
QUOTEI for one haven't had much hope for the conduit since it was first announced, which means I'll probably enjoy it since I already have lowered expectations.
As Much as I'm interested in this game my expectations are somewhat low too. Not because of the game but the platform it is on.
I think it is hard to make a truly good game for the Wii, I'm sure it is easy to make a crap one judging from the constant barrage of crapware on the system. It will be hard to make a game that controls well with the wiimote (most make a hash of it and use motion controls when button presses are better) and chuck acting differently from a gamepad. Most should probably leave it as joystick and buttons but few do.
Graphics are never going to be amazing on the Wii compared to it's peers. That's OK a game doesn't need to have a billion polys per nanosec to look good but it does need care in the artwork. Few titles seem to get that care though.
I guess I think this is worth a look because I believe it was made by individuals that were trying to make a different and good quality game for the Wii.
Whether the final product is any good I don't know. But I will.

Quality Wii games are few and far between but some really shine. I hope this is one.

PettingZoo

yesss
Trophies
Website
iancoulton.com
XP
Country
Don't trust ONM's the Australian one last week did a top 100 Nintendo games and Golden Eye was at 55, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl at 10 whilst Red/Blue was at 45 I think. And Mario Kart Wii was number 4. In my honest opinion, ONM's are just over hyped Nintendo fanboy dickheads. Just can't trust them anymore ;_;

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If D/P ranked better than R/B, if MKWii ranked higher than MK64, there's a problem.

I can understand not ranking GoldenEye better than 55; unlike a lot of other games, GoldenEye has become tremendously outdated and surpassed by other shooters, whereas Pokémon Red and Blue are still incredible games today.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Covarr said:
If D/P ranked better than R/B, if MKWii ranked higher than MK64, there's a problem.

I can understand not ranking GoldenEye better than 55; unlike a lot of other games, GoldenEye has become tremendously outdated and surpassed by other shooters, whereas Pokémon Red and Blue are still incredible games today.

I totally agree with Pokemon. D/P were excellent, by RBY (even GSC) are classic games. Even after 10 years they're enjoyable.

Goldeneye is a little old, but many consider it the best shooter ever (although I personally find Perfect Dark to be better and still fun). It was still revolutionary though and popularized FPS games, as well as successfully bringing them to 3-D (compared to Doom and Wolfenstein).

D

Deleted-171178

If anybody wants a scan of the ONM article, just message me and ill post it here.
Ive got it sitting on my shelf, I got a free donkey kong badge
tongue.gif

bytor

Trophies
XP
Country
I'd like to see that please
biggrin.gif

Although any reviewer that doesn't appreciate the high quality visuals on The Conduit I'll have trouble taking seriously tbh.

Acetic Orcein

Trophies
XP
Country
ONM doesnt know where its own backside is, especially since the entire team changed to complete retards.
Really, it's a fun magazine, but I hardly ever take it seriously. The reviews always vary in consistency, and in general most reviews should be taken with a whole salt shaker full of salt. It can be helpful to give you a general gist of what to expect in a game... but meh.

I'll use my own judgement to decide whether it's a game worth playing or not.

xDlmaoxD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bik75 said:
Will you still buy?

No I just got socom confrontation for the PS3 and I was a bit spectacle at first playing it wasting 65 USD on it.
But now I got the hang of the game and I enjoy it alot.
When I didn't have a PS3 or 360 4 days ago
tongue.gif
I was killing myself to play this game but now my wii is collecting dust in the closet
tongue.gif

It should have been released sooner and maybe I would have bought it, I was actually thinking about it a few days ago.
A flashed 360 pwnz the wii in FPS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL