The Bionic Eye Sees the Light of Day

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eyes are a difficult thing to replace. You can't exactly just stick a prosthetic in the socket and repair someone's vision; trust me, I've tried, it just doesn't work. The human eye is a complex organ, which makes replacement all the more difficult.

Luckily, that challenge hasn't deterred scientists. In fact, the first bionic eye was just unveiled in the US - and believe me when I say, it's a sight for sore eyes everywhere.
Developed by Second Sight (Get it? Get it?) Medical Products, the Argus II Retinal Prosthesis System has helped more than 60 people partially recover their sight, with some experiencing better results than others.

Consisting of 60 electrodes implanted in the retina and glasses fitted with a special minicamera, the Argus II has already won the approval of European regulators. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration is expected to follow suit soon, making the Argus II the world’s first widely available bionic eye.

“It’s the first bionic eye to go on the market in the world, the first in Europe and the first one in the U.S.,” said Brian Mech, the California-based firm’s vice president of business development.
arrow.gif
Japan Times

Plus, it's quite the looker.

Now, before you start throwing money at Sarif Industries Second Sight Medical Products, there are a few hitches. This particular bionic eye is designed for sufferers of a rare genetic disease, and it's still far weaker than natural eyesight. Not only that, this thing is slated to cost roughly $100,000 in Europe (the US price hasn't yet been confirmed) - the future, as it turns out, is very pricey at the moment.

So yeah, you shouldn't be asking for this just yet - that comes later.

Don't get discouraged just yet, though. This particular eye is surely a sign of things to come, and as the technology improves (and competition sprouts up), we should hopefully see the price drop as well.

All in all, this is pretty cool. No, actually, it's better than cool - it's eye-ballin.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Question- can I have a third eye either able to
a) be able to placed in my hand or something so as to see around corners
b) be able to placed in the back of my head

I realise the feeble human brain is not geared to understand info like that (see people that have an eyeball pop out of the socket) but I reckon I could get something going on.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question- can I have a third eye either able to
a) be able to placed in my hand or something so as to see around corners
b) be able to placed in the back of my head

I realise the feeble human brain is not geared to understand info like that (see people that have an eyeball pop out of the socket) but I reckon I could get something going on.
well I think for that particular eye placed in the hand to work, the brain would need to be connected to it's optic nerve... or something...

D

Deleted-236924

It might be better to wait until they release the updated v2 version that lets you completely regain sight.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
I saddened that this tech wasnt developed sooner, I feel like weve just missed out on commercial implants. In a 100 years or so people will be able to freely buy an implant that would be an actual improvement to their organic body parts..

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Question- can I have a third eye either able toa) be able to placed in my hand or something so as to see around cornersb) be able to placed in the back of my head

Just a third eye? Surely you need one more, otherwise you only will see 2d behind your head or around the corner. :P
Reminds me of this

and this.

P

pasc

Well blindness is the biggest fear I have so that's great to hear..
Probably because I slipped on ice while taking a shortcut to school several years (8-10yrs) ago in order to be there on time [math exam], I hit the back of my head (accelerated by the slipping - man this sounds weird).
After I got up the right part of my complete vision was like... a fog that wouldn't go away.
I was eerily calm back then - now that I think about it.
I luckily went away after several 10th of minutes passed (maybe it was just some kind a paralyisis)

However, I guess when your retina is damaged then you won't have a use for this anymore either, right ?

I would find it funny if they one day brought out implants that are actually better than the real eyes and everyone would go crazy (actually that would be kinda sad).

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I would find it funny if they one day brought out implantats that are actually better than the real eyes and everyone would go crazy. (actually that would be kinda sad)
Ah yes, the ethical quandary of transhumanism.

Reactions: pasc and Gahars
P

pasc

well I think for that particular eye placed in the hand to work, the brain would need to be connected to it's optic nerve... or something...
Direct Wireless Lan ftw ! Or perhaps Bluetooth, but that would have lags lawl.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I would find it funny if they one day brought out implants that are actually better than the real eyes and everyone would go crazy (actually that would be kinda sad).
First for future reference- a head impact followed by a vision change that does not clear in very short order (seconds) is time to go to the hospital and do it fast.

As for eyes being better.... in some ways things have started to head that way; see some of the disabled sports events and their opinions on carbon fibre running blades. As for it kicking off... if it happened tomorrow I might see it but given this will probably be several years coming and it will be less of a jump there.

Re optic nerve.... wireless devices can not be so commonplace as to be unnoticeable as a leap from years past?

Re eyes popped out. Mainly conversations with some of my more macabre friends that have been playing medic. To experience something like it get a periscope (you can build one with a couple of mirrors) and try to walk with the other eye open. Consider you can at least close your eye as well.

Edit- wireless lag. You act like human senses do not have a lag of their own.

Reactions: pasc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BigOnYa, i did that in the morning but with vinegar +2