The best linux operating systems ?

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by azoreseuropa, Aug 7, 2017.

1. azoreseuropa
    OP

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese but I am in USA.
    The topic above says it all. :)

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    For me: Lubuntu for low resource machines. Linux Mint for everything else.

Edit: But I generally prefer Windows.

Youkai likes this.
  3. olimar718

olimar718 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 5, 2017
    France
    Debian above all else. Very stable and simple. But if you want video games go windows.(sadly)

EthanAddict and wolfmankurd like this.
  4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I've been using Solus Linux since late February. I actually stopped Distro-hopping to make Solus my main.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. Xanthe

Xanthe Sith

Dec 23, 2015
    United States
    Arch. 100% arch.

6. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    So many choices.

7. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    get Linux Mint..

its best all round.

8. StackMasher

StackMasher GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2016
    I usually hop between Linux mint xfce and elementary os, tried solus once but I had problems with wifi drivers so that didn't last long

9. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    Linux Mint or Cent OS.

Linux Mint provides a decent OOTB experience and is good for casual stuff but suffers while trying to do certain things e.g. it was a PITA to get Oracle running and couldn't run my tutor's C samples.

For these reasons I ended up installing Cent OS which is what my Uni uses, although I did install the Cinnamon UI.

azoreseuropa likes this.
  10. jerbear64

jerbear64 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2011
    United States
    There isn't really a "best" Linux distribution. Try them for yourself, and stick with whichever one you like the most.

The more popular distributions are Ubuntu, Mint (an Ubuntu derivative), Arch (please don't try this one as your first distro), and Fedora. Of those four I like Arch the most, but that's because I know how Linux "ticks", so to speak. Ubuntu, Mint, and Fedora all have graphical installs. Arch is command line, and while it isn't a very difficult install, it's daunting if you have no Linux experience, and especially no Linux command line experience.
    If you're looking for a good first distro, I would tend to recommend Fedora. It's more up to date than Ubuntu and Mint, while still being user friendly and stable. I've also seen Elementary OS thrown around, and that might be a solid first choice given that Elementary is an Ubuntu derivative, you're currently using a Macintosh according to your sig, and Elementary's desktop environment is very similar to Mac.

Really, though, the distro you use is up to you. Try the ones that intrigue you, and whichever one you like, go with that one. The reason so many distros exist is because people didn't see a distro that fit for them, so they made their own. Linux isn't about having a "best" distro, it's about having the best distro for your use case.

Last edited by jerbear64, Aug 8, 2017 - Reason: typo
  11. aut0mat3d

aut0mat3d GBAtemp Regular

Mar 15, 2017
    Australia
    Linux Mint Xfce matches my needs

azoreseuropa likes this.
  12. Flirkyn

Flirkyn GBAtemp Regular

Aug 9, 2014
    France
    Personally I'm more of a Windows user and I use Linux only for coding and school project, so I'm not an expert of the subject. But for what I've tried, I really like Linux Mint Cinnamon, and it's the main Linux I use at home. I recommend it, it's pretty user friendly.
    At university we use Ubuntu, and personally I really dislike (to not say hate) Unity (the graphical interface that was on the one of my university) so I won't recommend it. But it's more of a personnal choice.
    We also used Debian before they installed Ubuntu, and I haven't got a good experience from it, though it's more because is was poorly installed and configured (it was buggy as hell and crash/freezed a looot of time).

Last edited by Flirkyn, Aug 8, 2017
  13. nIxx

nIxx GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 30, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    You are asking the wrong question.
    Linux is just Linux.
    KDE and so on are "desktop enviroments" ;).

14. Felek666

Felek666 Archdemon | #AMDForever

Jan 3, 2017
    Poland
    reddit.com/r/satania/
    Windows.
    jk, Linux Mint.

15. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    My favorite is Devuan, not like there are too many dpkg-based non-systemd options

16. azoreseuropa
    OP

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Thanks. I am not referring to my macOS since I love my laptop. I am talking about my other old laptop of windows xp to any linux.

Since Element OS looks good but it is not free. What a bummer. For Fedora but they have three options: Workstation, Server, or Atomic. My old windows xp laptop can works with Workstation, Server and Atomic ? I read them and not sure which one is preference.

17. StackMasher

StackMasher GBAtemp Regular

Nov 29, 2016
    Elementary is free, just enter $0 on their site :)

azoreseuropa likes this.
  18. romain337

romain337 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 7, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Linux Mint 18.2 on MSI-GS73VR.

19. robingilh

robingilh GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2009
    France
    not far from a computer
    There is no best linux distro for every usage. You should tell us what you want to do with your system first.

20. jerbear64

jerbear64 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2011
    United States
    If you're going to go the Fedora route, you want Workstation. Server is for servers, and Atomic is for containers.

Also, Elementary OS is indeed free, as mentioned earlier you just have to enter 0 on their site.

azoreseuropa likes this.