Homebrew The All New 3DSThemes.com Huge Site Update! ツ

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad the site got killed like this, but it truly sounds like the database was way too open to attack from people that like to do stupid stuff like flex hacking muscles to take down a simple theme site...low hanging fruit, I guess.

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
I leave the place of site ownership for not even a week as I get my computer fixed, this happens!! I'm so full of emotions, I'm upset that the hack was so easy to produce but I'm also confused why someone would directly wipe the data of our users? Why would someone do this? Please if you have any questions I'm here to help, also if anyone with advanced programming experience would like to help with the issue PLEASE reply or message me! (also the server bills are up and we have about 8$ total donations...)

xFade, we are coming for you.
I'm really sorry about what happened to you and I wouldn't wish something like this upon anyone. Hope things get better for you :(

Reactions: DoJo_Master

xerochrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sad the site got killed like this, but it truly sounds like the database was way too open to attack from people that like to do stupid stuff like flex hacking muscles to take down a simple theme site...low hanging fruit, I guess.

Victim blaming isn't mature (or constructive). I've been helping out consulting and mentoring the 3dsthemes team for a while now and they are just learning the ropes (and learning fast). You are right that script kiddies do what they do to flex, but no one is impressed when you vandalize a free site with a few thousand users so I don't know why a site like this would be targeted.

3dsthemes will be back, I'm sorry for the users will have to sign up and reupload their themes again.

the assaf

Trophies
XP
Country
I know you guy spending money and hard work for this great site, but didn't actually lose money (the server cost is there anyway). it can be worst

dronesplitter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Victim blaming isn't mature (or constructive). I've been helping out consulting and mentoring the 3dsthemes team for a while now and they are just learning the ropes (and learning fast). You are right that script kiddies do what they do to flex, but no one is impressed when you vandalize a free site with a few thousand users so I don't know why a site like this would be targeted.

3dsthemes will be back, I'm sorry for the users will have to sign up and reupload their themes again.
I did not victim blame at all. You're twisting what others may have said and applying it to my post incorrectly. I commented on why they were victimized by pointing out they were an easy target, I did not then justify it happening using that. I called it stupid that anyone would do this and I mean it.

Also, when you make a site, you have a responsibility to protect any private information you collect. So, more than just the site owners could be victimized as a result of not securing passwords and the like in a good way.

Last edited by dronesplitter,
D

Deleted User

Thanks for all your support guys, thankfully, from the looks of it, they couldnt get access to the filesystem, which means uploaded content is still online. We do have an older backup of our database, and will be restoring to this, as well as rebuilding from our previous live database, because innodb can repair from attacks such as this. Most user accounts, sadly, will need to be remade, but luckily themes will only need to be claimed/edited (with our new theme information editor, which was planned to be released today. :/), this means you won't have to reupload theme content. Our site is also temporarily showing a status page, so you can always check there if you want too.

Last edited by ,

xerochrono

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did not victim blame at all. You're twisting what others may have said and applying it to my post incorrectly. I commented on why they were victimized by pointing out they were an easy target, I did not then justify it happening using that. I called it stupid that anyone would do this and I mean it.

Also, when you make a site, you have a responsibility to protect any private information you collect. So, more than just the site owners could be victimized as a result of not securing passwords and the like in a good way.

I was replying directly to you about what others have said highlighting the vulnerabilities. Apologies, i wasn't very clear on that and didn't mean to come off that way.

Last edited by xerochrono,
Reactions: dronesplitter

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
Pretty understandable i think, the devs probably trusted everyone to not abuse their site and gave functionality a bigger priority then security.
Some people said some rude stuff and i just wanted to say to them that they are idiots.
People that put so much effort in this community do not deserve to be treated like that.
And those who say that they are idiots, please share use one of your highly visited unhackable sites, and lets see how secure it really is ;)
Hack my server :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Toxic pills are best
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, He fucked around and found out.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Lol Veho
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :O OMG. A Very EXPENSIVE way to find out :ohnoes:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    He was trying to whip shitties but instead he wiped out and ate shit.
    +1
    He was better off Whipping his own :shit:. :unsure::unsure::unsure: But then again.. Maybe not. Eeewww
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Whip it real good
    Nah. Cool Whip is better :D
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Cool wHip
    Especially on Chocolate Ice Cream :D:wub::D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Especially on Chocolate Ice Cream :D:wub::D