Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stormwave said:
Ah right, I know why that is. Give me a minute and I'll fix it and upload the new version.
Awesome
biggrin.gif

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, should be fixed now. I've uploaded the new version to filetrip (check the first post to download it). Hope it works now, let me know.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stormwave said:
Okay, should be fixed now. I've uploaded the new version to filetrip (check the first post to download it). Hope it works now, let me know.
Works.. but I found one problem, and I have one suggestion.

First the problem:
Changing the settings causes all the text to either not display (including the interface) or be white-on-white.

Now the suggestion:
Swap the reading/preview screens (so the 100% is on top, the scaled size is on the bottom) and allow for the stylus to control/move the viewing area.

I should add that I'm loving it so far!
biggrin.gif

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
That problem is strange, I've not seen that happen on my end through the emulator or on my DS (just tried to make it happen a few times and failed). Any idea what you did to cause that problem? Due to a small memory leak, that has been annoying me for ages, the program can become unstable if you load too many files or change the settings too many times, resetting fixes that.

As for your suggestion, it's a good idea. I prefer it the way it is, but it would be good to add an option to change it. I'll add that into the next version.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Stormwave said:
That problem is strange, I've not seen that happen on my end through the emulator or on my DS (just tried to make it happen a few times and failed). Any idea what you did to cause that problem? Due to a small memory leak, that has been annoying me for ages, the program can become unstable if you load too many files or change the settings too many times, resetting fixes that.It happens the first (and only) time I change the settings... from then on I can't do anything except for turning the DS off and back on. The settings save, so it's not huge.
I'm running it on an AceKard2i with AKAIO 1.6RC2. I'll try my R4 with Wood in a minute and report back.

Happens on my R4 with both WoodR4 v1.07 and YSMenu.

QUOTE(Stormwave @ May 23 2010, 07:50 PM) As for your suggestion, it's a good idea. I prefer it the way it is, but it would be good to add an option to change it. I'll add that into the next version.
Awesome! Options are always a good idea.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It happens the first (and only) time I change the settings... from then on I can't do anything except for turning the DS off and back on. The settings save, so it's not huge.
I'm running it on an AceKard2i with AKAIO 1.6RC2. I'll try my R4 with Wood in a minute and report back.

Happens on my R4 with both WoodR4 v1.07 and YSMenu.

Hmm, fair enough. I'll look into it and see if I can figure out why that's happening. It works fine on my end, so it'll be hard for me to figure out whats wrong
biggrin.gif

As long as it saves and you can use the program after resetting, I suppose it's not a huge issue for now (more an inconvenience).

It shouldn't be anything to do with the colors, as the interface uses black and white regardless of the settings. When you save the settings the program clears the font cache and renders all the usable characters into bitmaps (makes refreshing the screen much faster). It seems like it's having a problem rendering the images for a second time, but I've got no idea why.

I'm going to bed now, so I'll have a look at it again tomorrow.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
twiztidsinz said:
Now the suggestion:
Swap the reading/preview screens (so the 100% is on top, the scaled size is on the bottom) and allow for the stylus to control/move the viewing area.
I kind of like the idea of this suggestion (but what of the kickass scrollbar TT-TT we must keep the kickass scrollbar xD). As a third option to the viewing layout (for those who just want to see a lot of text at once?), you could have both screens show the text in full size though I don't really know if anyone would use it.
The only extra things I can think of would be to make it skinnable (I like all things skinnable for some odd reason) and maybe use a color wheel or gradient bar for selecting the colors of the font/background.
On the other hand, everything looks like it works.

A couple little things:
-The novel option seems to have some problems word-wrapping (I did portrait, save, novel, save in case this is a specific thing...I don't think it is though)
-You missed adding the ability to exit from the settings menu using the B button (unless that was intended)...also, maybe you can have the A button work as an OK when in the settings menu because I was poking that button a couple times before I remembered that it was the touch screen button I was after xD
-Might have just been something on my side, but after playing around with it for a little/not so little while (swapping the options and text), it gave out and stopped at "Rendering normal chars" while loading a text.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Skinning is a good idea, and I certainly plan on adding it in. I like skinning things myself ( I get bored of a certain look very quickly ). I figured I'd focus on features first, and then usability second. Since I can't think of many more features to add (mainly just minor tweaks), I'll work on the usability and customisability next.

QUOTE said:
-The novel option seems to have some problems word-wrapping (I did portrait, save, novel, save in case this is a specific thing...I don't think it is though)

I have noticed it do that on occasion, I'll have a look into it. Normally to fix it, you can just open the file again. If that doesn't do it, then I'm not sure. I'll see if I can replicate it.

QUOTE said:
-You missed adding the ability to exit from the settings menu using the B button (unless that was intended)...also, maybe you can have the A button work as an OK when in the settings menu because I was poking that button a couple times before I remembered that it was the touch screen button I was after xD

I did know that I hadn't added the B to exit thing in the settings menu, I didn't think it'd really be a problem, but I'll add it in anyway (not difficult to do). I didn't realise I'd forgotten the A to confirm though, heh, I'll add that in.

-Might have just been something on my side, but after playing around with it for a little/not so little while (swapping the options and text), it gave out and stopped at "Rendering normal chars" while loading a text.

Aye, that's unfortunately a common occurence at the minute. I think it must be a problem with FreeType2 which I'm using to render the TrueType fonts. I've traced the code down several times to a call to render the font, but I've been unable to fix that error. At the minute, the program renders the font to a bitmap cache as mentioned, and it has to redo this if you change any settings. What I think I'll do, which will fix that problem and also fix twiztidsinz's problem, is only render the fonts once at the start of the program. There are other ways that I can change the colours, and I could make it simply cache all the font sizes. I'll change that for the next version since, as far as I am aware, that is the only cause of unstability left.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, I've updated the program to version 2.3.

I completely changed the way the program caches and renders fonts to greatly increase stability, and in turn should fix twiztidsinz's problem. Previously I could crash the program after opening a new file or changing settings about 5 times, I've now managed about 50 without crashing, so the difference should be pretty noticeable.

The debug text when opening a new file has now been removed ( I traced a small memory leak to the generation of the console and then switching back to the full screen ), so a loading screen will now appear instead. This means it'll be harder to debug problems, but I hope that now the program is pretty stable and wo't have many problems.

I fixed quite a few smaller bugs I noticed aswell.

Hopefully this'll work fine for everyone now, if so I'm going to give the program a break for a bit and come back to it with skinning, moonshell2 extlinking, etc in a few days or so.

jurassicplayer

Completionist Themer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
xD This is working awesomely. The only thing I can really note that probably wasn't intended was when I looked at a particular text file of mine (the other ones loaded fine, but just this one specific text loads up initially with a blank screen every so often and then when you touch the screen)
Here are the files I used.
http://www.mediafire.com/?wzzilzrnzmi

I loaded up the Abducted to Oz (its a free e-book [link]) first and then scrolled to the very bottom (included the .sav file so you don't have to scroll down) and then loaded up the YouCaiHua (lyrics) file. Somehow on mine it ends up with the white screen (tapping fixes it anyways, but I might as well mention it since it probably isn't intended and you never know if it's important or not xD)

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Congrates on the improvements - It's becoming a great program.....except for one small tiny problem

When 'reading' in portrait mode - when you press 'start' or 'select' the file selector/Settings are still in 'landscape' mode - meaning you have to twist your neck or twist the DS to select a new file to read - or change a setting

owamugen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Awesome text viewer. Just 1 problem I found, it's not much but

I was looking at this guide on it
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/950181-chrono-trigger/faqs/54909

and at the end the last line is cut off.

EDIT: the path editor doesn't seem to work. It won't let change the directory to another other than Text. If I change it to another folder it gets stuck at Loading when you load a text file.

Stormwave

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
When 'reading' in portrait mode - when you press 'start' or 'select' the file selector/Settings are still in 'landscape' mode - meaning you have to twist your neck or twist the DS to select a new file to read - or change a setting

Yeah, I do intend to fix that in the future. When I add the ability to skin I'll add the ability to view the UI in portrait mode.

QUOTE said:
I was looking at this guide on it
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/950181-chrono-trigger/faqs/54909

and at the end the last line is cut off.

It seems to work fine for me (in both landscape and portrait), not sure whats going wrong there :/

the path editor doesn't seem to work. It won't let change the directory to another other than Text. If I change it to another folder it gets stuck at Loading when you load a text file.

Again, it works fine for me. What path are you trying to set it to? The path needs a / at the beginning and the end to work. I presume the program works fine if set to /Text/?

Thanks for the feedback guys, hopefully I'll be able to fix these problems soon.

owamugen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>.<
Then something is wrong on my end then...

and about the path editor, it works find if i set it back to /Text/ but other like /app/ or /FAQ/ just got stuck on Loading.

owamugen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't test right now but perhap it's relative to the location of the TextDS nds file which is in the app folder and not the root?

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Or me..

I'm now a proud owner of a DSTwo & I've set up DSText as one of the 'Plugins' (Just gotta make a 'suitable' icon for it now)

'DSText2.nds' is stored in '/_dsplug/'
'DSText.ini' & the font is store in (hidden folder) '/data/DSText/'
Text is stored in '/Text/' (although I did have it in '/TXT/' and it still worked after using the 'patcher')

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E