Text encoding in moonshell`

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by noblelement, Oct 15, 2008.

Oct 15, 2008
  1. noblelement
    OP

Newcomer noblelement Newbie

United States
    I am running moonshell on a Cyclo DS Evolution and am having a hard time figuring out what encoding to use on some plain text files that i converted from .doc and .docx files in word 2007. I've tried unicode, UTF-7, UTF-8, and US-ASCII and some others, but so far, I always encounter various amounts of bugging. Specifically, the ["] and ['] characters, as well as the following 4 characters are replaced by a [?] This is a huge pain, since I want to be able to read short stories and game guides, but it's often difficult to decipher. Also, should I enable "insert line breaks?" If so, what should I end lines with? Should I "allow character substitution?"

TL;DR: What encoding for plain text is most compatible with the Moonshell on CDSE, leaving the least amount of text scrambling and bugging? Please do not refer me to DSReader or talk about the upcoming in-game text reader that's in Beta. Thanks.

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Take your text file, open it with Wordpad, and save it as type "Text Document - MS-DOS format". I don't know exactly what encoding that is, but it's always worked for me with Moonshell and DSReader.