Tetris DS Tourney - Rules & Opening

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
first to 5 the best of all.

I'd agree with that. Matches go freakishly quick.
you know what?
nothing prevents you from finding an agreement with your opponent to play more games...
if the people that are in your game (your opponent + the refs because the refs will have to wait till you're done playing) agree to play more than 2 games, then fine, we have no way to control it anyway.
But in any case, if you can't find an agreement with all 4 players, the default number of wins will be 2.

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
first to 5 the best of all.

I'd agree with that. Matches go freakishly quick.
you know what?
nothing prevents you from finding an agreement with your opponent to play more games...
if the people that are in your game (your opponent + the refs because the refs will have to wait till you're done playing) agree to play more than 2 games, then fine, we have no way to control it anyway.
But in any case, if you can't find an agreement with all 4 players, the default number of wins will be 2.

Well then, is anything stopping the four players from doing a normal 4 player with items match rather than a this proposed/final setup?

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Your decision.
Input = 4 players,
Output = 1 player

We have defined the standard set of rules to prevent cheating and lying. If you're deviating from our rules, there will be nothing we can do to help you if someone cheats or lies.
We would prefer that you respect the rules we've set, but since there won't be a staff member in every match, we can't control it.

Pikachu025

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wait, wait... What now? The rules state that you will have ONE match with your opponent, then the other two have a match and the winners have another match. The winner of the Winner-Match is then the one who will advance. However, you just said that you will need TWO wins to "win" a match... Uh...

Does that mean that the first two players have three matches, then the second two have three, and the two who won most out of the three have another three matches against each other? o.o

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
There is a difference between a match and a game.
To win the match, you need to be the first to win 2 games.

If you win your match, you'll play with the winner of the other match. OK?

Killermech

Cookie Monster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just two wins? It takes me at least 4 matches to learn the opponents tactic and way of playing =|

And as mentioned earlier.. a big boo for the items.. that's the whole reason I didn't want it to be 4 player.. sigh

QazzaQY2K

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whats stoping us to agree all four players to just play normal 2 player mode .. and then we agree to have hounor in our game play and the winner wins .. with maybe first to 10 wins .. not only way easyer for only 2 ppl to find time to play .. but it's with NO ITEMS! anyway i do respect for your guys hard work.. but i actualy don't think ppl will start to lie .. and to think you guys think that most of them will lie.. anyway u'll get your results in one way or anothere and i'll do my game if the othere's allow.. ;P just my point of view here.. but sure fragg away..

P.S i have played like 5 turnaments in 2 player mode and there's still never been a lyer .. just a sorrow looser but it's not like he started to lie.. just maybe stoped talking with me or soemthing ;P most of the time ppl agree to play untill you clearly c who the best player of the two is.. and there's no issue .. as they are 100% beat and get it they will still not stand a chance to progress.. *sigh* making things way way to complicated.. ohh well.. ur turney and ur rules ur prizes.. only we have to enudre them tho;P anyway.. great work hope this works out for everyone..

Hunter

i'ma stuffup the board
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.bundleupdates.com
XP
Country
Australia
Whats stoping us to agree all four players to just play normal 2 player mode .. and then we agree to have hounor in our game play and the winner wins .. with maybe first to 10 wins .. not only way easyer for only 2 ppl to find time to play .. but it's with NO ITEMS! anyway i do respect for your guys hard work.. but i actualy don't think ppl will start to lie .. and to think you guys think that most of them will lie.. anyway u'll get your results in one way or anothere and i'll do my game if the othere's allow.. ;P just my point of view here.. but sure fragg away..

there is nothing stoping you aslong as you all agree though.

in the end it's as costello said
Your decision.
Input = 4 players,
Output = 1 player

so in the end it's upto the four players how it goes
but in the end only one will come out.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMO you guys really shouldn't have opened that can-o-worms. Telling people that the rules are changeable as long as everybody agrees = people lying about what was agreed. Sorta seems to contradict the reason you set these rules in the first place.

IMO pick a rule set and stick to it. I think your solution is the best for everybody, I think you should enforce it. In the end though I'll play however you guys want, it is your tournament and your site.
grog.gif

Shinji

҉҉ ҉҉
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Everybody is complicating things waaaay too much. The mods set the rules, nobody liked them, the mods say you can stray from the rules as long as 4=1, and people are still confused....It makes perfect sense =P

4=1, nuff said.

Zaraf

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
With this whole rule thing, I think that in the beginning, it won't be much of a problem in the beginning, and maybe closer to the end of the tournament, when the stakes are higher, we might want to be a little more consistent with the rules.

So basically, 4 players are given 2 weeks in which to decide who the single winner is. They could take the first week to have 1 on 1 games for each pair, and the second week to arrange the final match. If at the end of two weeks, they have not come to an agreement as to who the final winner is, eliminate all 4. Seems simple enough, and like Qazza mentioned, I have faith that people won't lose the spirit of the tournament and start lying/cheating. Heck, those of us with digital cameras can take pictures of the after game results if need be.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What Costello is saying is..

If the four players get together and decide that instead of 2 on 2, followed by 2 on 2, followed by winners play each other, that instead they want to play against each other in a four player game and the winner goes on, that we can't control that. We have no way of assuring that you adhere to that particular setup during your matches. We have no way of assuring that you play 2 matches, for all we know you could decide first to 5, first to 10 - it's out of our hands.

We have defined the rules clearly. If you choose to deviate from them and complicate your match and the players can't agree - I believe it was announced earlier that we have a zero-BS policy, whereby there is instant disqualification for people that needlessly bicker and complicate the matchup.

So the final outcome of each of the initial match-ups is that four players go in, one player emerges the winner. Preferably you adhere to the rules, but if you choose to set your game a different way and still expel one winner, that's really all that counts in the first round.

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
OK, as I've said, it's a shame about the items, but I can see that does look like the best method, so let's go for it... they've set out some good rules, some good prizes, let's just play and have fun.
smile.gif

Can I ask exactly what happens on disconnects? I dunno how tetris itself handles them, but what happens in the various situations? (eg. player disconnect, spectator disconnect etc)?

I look forward to being destroyed in the first round!
smile.gif

Golds

Old Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great for me, I'm excited.

But I can hear it now.. " I thought I was supposed to go first, thats why I didnt kill my game right away"
"but it was me and this other dude not you this round, why did you use that item, it messed us both up"

I think it should be mandatory to set up an AIM/MSN/ICQ/irc room chat with a staff member before each game + the 4 players, so everyone is clear as to the 2 players who play first and the 2 players who play second.

(instant disqualification to those who dont show up to the chat), this would save some playing time,

and the staff member could join if 3 people show up, and give the person whos match partner didnt show up a bye for the round, and will automatically play the winner of the other team.

If only 2 show up to the chat session, they can play a 2 player battle best of 3 and the winner will go on to the next round while the other team was disquailified. Telling the staff member who the winner was in chat, both agreeing, if an argument insues both disqualified.

Players could also post their ratings if this happens, before the 2 player game, and post their ratings after each game so there will be no question on who the winner of 2 was. Even if ratings are differenet they still go down if you lose.

then while we play the games and still in the chat session the staff will instantly know the winner, or problems. The staff memeber can then ask if everyone agrees that so and so won the match.

alexp2_ad

Certified Smart Ass
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think having a chat set up between all players of a match and a staff member is a pretty good idea...

Though this might cause problems on staff member availability, I couldn't say.

QazzaQY2K

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hey as long as it gets from 4 players to the 1 player (winner) and how you get there don't really matter as long can agree on who's the best .. i bellive this to be as an sport of skill not luck .. and if ur any good you need to practise hard!! and if that time spent on this is destroyed by some luck i'd get really unhappy .. i'm a good player with a 7100-7400 Wifi rating .. and sure i have lows and tops .. depending on the day.. specialy when i have to wait up, at late hours for othere ppl in difrent time zones ... that's why i'd need a few rounds for warming up, geting in the tetris mode.. start to play by reflex.. kinda like my chess games.. you try playing 2300 ranked players with 1-2mins blitz games.. ;P not much thinking there ... same goes with the really good players of tetris .. it becomes like driving the car with out feeling that you are manualy sleceting a new gear.. it becomes reflex.. this my point of turnaments .. showing whos the best of the best.. not the luckyest .. ;S and there's to much luck in the picture for good players geting kicked by some lucky guy.. *sigh* tierd and talking to much.. anyway.. i'll atleast ask my players if they want to play it "normaly" if it's democratiic .. then sure it will work if not then the best of LUCK! to us all..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nah, a hit gives them mad meth powers, but makes them more difficult to control.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Before a hit they're like zombies, persistent but slow.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a tradeoff.
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    no i mean, before a hit is after the previous hit
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    if you keep them well enough fed, it's the same thing
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    By the power of Florida Man, I have the power!!! *Lifts up meth pipe* Meth Man!!! lol
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Guys, I just learned my little brother is in the hospital because he had a seizure last night.
  • cearp @ cearp:
    Sorry to hear that BakerMan
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Just found out he's doing alright, doing a lot of complaining too, rightfully so. Who wouldn't complain after having a seizure and being hospitalized?
    +1
    Glad he is OK and complaining is cool :)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah been there had that no fun
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They'll give him sleep studies eegs and possibly one week hospital stay
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    I hope it's not a week.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's standard so doctors can get a idea about what's going on
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    understood
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    well, i'm glad he seems to be doing fine, and ig i'm going to start spewing goofy shit again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Update: Turns out he's epileptic
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Get a 2nd opinion run mris etc they told me that also
    Also a food allergy study would be a good idea
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Turns out you can't sprinkle methamphetamine on McDonald's French fries
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    they wouldn't be called french fries at that point
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Probably just meth fries