ROM Hack Tetris DS [#0366] BGM removal hack

mufunyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, if you're like me and play tetris at every idle opportunity that presents itself and like to play WFC worldwide a lot, you might get annoyed by the mario theme constantly playing in the background. In marathon mode you have the comforting fact that music changes every level, but it still just cycles the same 10 BGMs over and over again. Another annoying thing is that the mario themes play disproportionally often in comparison with the other (more interesting) music.

Now because of all these complex factors, I've decided on a simple solution: simply remove all background music in Marathon and WFC games. The puzzle, touch, push etc. games still have music.

Download: http://mufunyo.net/tetris/Tetris_DS_(0366)_BGM_hack.zip

Simply apply the patch to your ROM and there she goes. Works with your existing save (obviously), and isn't detected by WFC.

Thanks go to FAST6191 for having lots of info around on the forum regarding SDAT files, and kiwi.ds for the very handy structs that I used to find out where to aim my hexeditor.

mufunyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
ok.. you might want to have all other SFX sounds, but.. it just sounds like turning off the sound is a better idea^^ (if not simpler..)
Playing ranked matches on WFC it's very handy to hear what your opponent is doing. And this hack was pretty simple, I was done in about 15 minutes after I figured out what I needed to do, and part of those 15 minutes were spent testing the Marathon mode to see if all BGMs were removed (at first I made a small error that left the Ice Climbers and Kalinka themes in). And for you people, simply applying a patch will be even easier! I don't see why you'd rather turn off sound entirely when it's so simple, unless you're extremely lazy.

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Here is that version: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=36870

(Yes the download still works, just tried it and heard the Tetris song going at 86% speed in No$GBA...
tongue.gif
)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The patch only works on the E version but I checked with the US versions and Japanese after messing around with it (all detailed in the thread linked) and it worked fine. I did not try the Korean version as it was not released at the time but it should still work.

asiekierka

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Now, who will make a version with just the Tetris GameBoy music (the A one, Korobeiniki)? Or how to make one?
EDIT: nvm, found one
wink.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It seems both I and the game makers got confused and my original hack had the music you want asiekierka.
The version inbuilt does seem to be a bit different to others I have found but as these hacks are basic file system hacks to replace takes a bit more effort.

You will need to convert a midi file to the DS format (luckily there is a tool: http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/midi2sseq.exe ( page here http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/ although link to above app is not entered correctly).
From here you will have to reinsert which should not be that difficult if you can follow the sdat specs.
http://kiwi.ds.googlepages.com/sdat.html
http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...id=38&Itemid=36
Can I suggest you add it to the end of the file rather than mess around repointing everything.
Oh some midi to save you a search:
http://www.rusmidi.com/en/song/573/
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f...Korobeiniki.mid

mufunyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry, but can't you just turn the Volume Control button all the way back...
I mean, there is no need for this, sorry to say.
You know, there are players who like to use other senses (like ears) to improve their gameplay. In wifi matches, the enemy makes sounds which you can use to judge their speed and skill without having to look at the top screen. In fact, I went a bit further with the sound hacking and modified the enemy sounds (kirakira and bomb1-4) to be louder from between 60 and 88 to 127, and also turned down the menu volume from 108 to 16. If anyone wants it say so and I'll publish the patch.

krazykirk

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ohmy.gif
I think the mario theme is the awesomest thing ever! Although I guess if you play it a lot it would be annoying... but i would just shut the volume off haha but yeah this patch is really a good idea!
toot.gif

Yeah this reply really has no point XD

mufunyo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
nels said:
can someone make the US version patch?
If you look up NDS release #0366, you will find this info:
QUOTENDS: 0366 - Tetris DS

Game Information
Name: Tetris DS
Publisher: Nintendo
Languages: English
Genre: N/A

Release Information
Release Number: 0366
Release Group: WRG
Release Date: 2006-03-20

As you can see, that is the US version, and the patch will only work with that. You'll get white screens of death if you try to apply it to the European version or any of the others.

YoYoDS

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bumped For Help......

Will someone be so kind as to help out a noob with this?
I love tetris DS sooooo much and find the music annoying.
I would just turn down the music but I like to hear the sounds.
I have been asking all over the internet for something like this
and finally found this page.
I downloaded the files, but when I click on them, looks like a DOS
windows flashes across my screen for a brief moment.
What i mean is the application is trying to open but then
closes.
I don't know how to patch this game. There is no README
file therefore I have no earthly idea what to do.
How do I patch it????
Wait is this for the actual cartridge hacking? Or is this for that word
we are not supposed to talk about?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2