Tesla - The Nintendo Switch Overlay Menu

fhwyjbd.png

Hey all.
I'd like to introduce to you, Tesla: My answer to the growing need for proper ingame front ends for sysmodules.

What is this?

• Tesla consists of three individual parts. nx-ovlloader, the Tesla menu and libtesla.
    • nx-ovlloader is basically nx-hbloader ported to run as a sysmodule. It runs in the background and loads overlay NROs (.ovl files) given to it.
    • Tesla Menu is the equivalent to the hbmenu. It's the initial thing loaded by nx-ovlloader and acts as a hub for you to select all other overlays.
    • libtesla is where it becomes interesting for developers. It's an easy to use library that handles layer creation, UI drawing and all the overlay UX. It makes it very easy to create a new overlay for anything
  • A frontend for sysmodules that before required either a homebrew or a config file to change settings or used sounds or the LED to give the user feedback.

What is this not?

• A tool that lets you create overlays that are always visible. Overlays can get unloaded way to easily for this.
  • An excuse to port absolutely everything to a overlay. Nobody's going to need a title manager overlay. If you consider making a overlay, keep it simple. You don't have a whole lot of memory to work with.

How do I use this?

First of all, download the latest release of nx-ovlloader and the Tesla Menu from the GitHub Release page and extract it onto your SD card.
After a reboot, hold down L and DPad Down and push on the right joy stick to bring up Tesla at any time. Navigation works as you imagine it.
Similar to normal homebrews, you place your .ovl files in the /switch/.overlays folder on your SD card.

Screenshots

W8yN2M6.jpg

fdfWAXw.jpg

Notice

Make sure to use the latest Atmosphere release when trying this as older versions ( as the one SX OS uses too ) probably won't have enough memory available for this to run. Overlays do take a lot of space so nx-ovlloader reserves 6MB. 2MB for framebuffers and around 4MB for overlay developers to use in their overlays.

GitHub

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader
Tesla Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu

For Developers

libtesla: https://github.com/WerWolv/libtesla
Tesla build template: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Template

Download

nx-ovlloader: https://github.com/WerWolv/nx-ovlloader/releases/latest
Tesla-Menu: https://github.com/WerWolv/Tesla-Menu/releases/latest
EdiZon Overlay: http://werwolv.net/downloads/EdiZonOverlay.zip ( As a little preview for what this is capable of and what EdiZon 4.0.0 will have even more of soon :) )

Special thank especially to averne without him, this would not have been possible!

Obligatory Donation links

GitHub Sponsors https://github.com/sponsors/WerWolv
PayPal https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=KP7XRJAND9KWU&source=url
Patreon https://www.patreon.com/werwolv

Thanks a lot and have fun using and extending it :)

Last edited by WerWolv,

LUCKASS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Do I need to add cheats to atmosphere/content in order to Edizon overlay to work?
And is it possible to disable cheat by default? Every time I open Edizon overlay, all cheats are by default ON

Last edited by LUCKASS,

1basti1

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It will not work with sxos. Do you have the latest atmosphere files? (and latest payload)

But I dont know anymore. It just works for me. I can boot to sxos and atmosphere without any problems.

gitbearded

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

haruka-cantabile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Sorry to hear that. Hope you can find solution soon. From my experience, you can post your config file here, maybe someone will look into that and help.

Hopefully I could figure this out or someone can help out else I'll be opting out of Tesla for the time being. This is the config if you, or anyone else, would like to check: https://pastebin.com/ggQpaU2t

Thing is, it's buggy. So far, Ive tried it on ACNH, FETH, Link's Awakening & Atelier Ryza and they're all auto-on. PMD XD is the only one that starts off as off.

except that it does work lol, this option is specifically for that and it works as expected

Good for you then, except that it doesn't on mine for some reason.

It was a quick add and drop for me, so I'm sure you miss the OP instructions somewhere.

Yup, already have but the same issue persists.

Last edited by haruka-cantabile,

Starhatred

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Hopefully I could figure this out or someone can help out else I'll be opting out of Tesla for the time being. This is the config if you, or anyone else, would like to check: https://pastebin.com/ggQpaU2t

Thing is, it's buggy. So far, Ive tried it on ACNH, FETH, Link's Awakening & Atelier Ryza and they're all auto-on. PMD XD is the only one that starts off as off.
Oh, I see. You must delete ";" at the line " ; dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0 " in order to get that line works.
Try make it like this
atmosphere/configs/system_settings.ini
change
Code:
dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x1
to
Code:
dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0

If you don't have that file, create it and paste this:
Code:
; Disable uploading error reports to Nintendo
[eupld]
upload_enabled = u8!0x0
; Control whether RO should ease its validation of NROs.
; (note: this is normally not necessary, and ips patches can be used.)
[ro]
ease_nro_restriction = u8!0x0
; Atmosphere custom settings
[atmosphere]
; Reboot from fatal automatically after some number of milliseconds.
; If field is not present or 0, fatal will wait indefinitely for user input.
fatal_auto_reboot_interval = u64!0x0
; Make the power menu's "reboot" button reboot to payload.
; Set to "normal" for normal reboot, "rcm" for rcm reboot.
; power_menu_reboot_function = str!payload
; Controls whether dmnt cheats should be toggled on or off by
; default. 1 = toggled on by default, 0 = toggled off by default.
dmnt_cheats_enabled_by_default = u8!0x0
; Controls whether dmnt should always save cheat toggle state
; for restoration on new game launch. 1 = always save toggles,
; 0 = only save toggles if toggle file exists.
dmnt_always_save_cheat_toggles = u8!0x0
; Enable writing to BIS partitions for HBL.
; This is probably undesirable for normal usage.
enable_hbl_bis_write = u8!0x0
; Enable reading the CAL0 partition for HBL.
; This is probably undesirable for normal usage.
enable_hbl_cal_read = u8!0x0
; Controls whether fs.mitm should redirect save files
; to directories on the sd card.
; 0 = Do not redirect, 1 = Redirect.
; NOTE: EXPERIMENTAL
; If you do not know what you are doing, do not touch this yet.
fsmitm_redirect_saves_to_sd = u8!0x0
; Controls whether to enable the deprecated hid mitm
; to fix compatibility with old homebrew.
; 0 = Do not enable, 1 = Enable.
; Please note this setting may be removed in a
; future release of Atmosphere.
enable_deprecated_hid_mitm = u8!0x0
[hbloader]
; Controls the size of the homebrew heap when running as applet.
; If set to zero, all available applet memory is used as heap.
; The default is zero.
applet_heap_size = u64!0x0
; Controls the amount of memory to reserve when running as applet
; for usage by other applets. This setting has no effect if
; applet_heap_size is non-zero. The default is 0x8600000.
applet_heap_reservation_size = u64!0x8600000

And restart Switch
And then restart Switch.

Last edited by Starhatred,
Reactions: haruka-cantabile
D

Deleted User

Then yes Ive extracted Atmosphere into the root of my SD, put fusee_primary.bat into the /bootloader/payloads. Now when I boot Hekate opens, I go to payloads, click fusee-primary and it just blackscreens. Does Fusee-Primary need to be in /Atmosphere as well?

big sxos fan and i use atmos all the time. Way i load it is kinda convoluted but it works And it allows me to use my sx dongle as opposed to a pc or phone

get to sxos payload menu
Load latest hekate
Go to hekate payload menu
Load fusee primary

if i have kosmos installed loading hekate to kosmos works fine.

hope this helps!

kickcross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just roughly skimmed through the thread, so if there's already a post going over this, just lemme know. Basically, I can't get it to open at all. I followed the instructions to the t: put the ovlloader folder and the Tesla master folder in the switch folder and put the Edizon .ovl in the overlay folder, but when I press L, DPadDown, and R3....nothing. Any stupid mistake I'm making you guys can think of??

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Ok I just roughly skimmed through the thread, so if there's already a post going over this, just lemme know. Basically, I can't get it to open at all. I followed the instructions to the t: put the ovlloader folder and the Tesla master folder in the switch folder and put the Edizon .ovl in the overlay folder, but when I press L, DPadDown, and R3....nothing. Any stupid mistake I'm making you guys can think of??
Have you restarted your switch? Do you have any other sys-modules? I remember it wasn't working for me cause of the olf ftpd sys module, so i had to change it for ftpd light.

kickcross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you restarted your switch? Do you have any other sys-modules? I remember it wasn't working for me cause of the olf ftpd sys module, so i had to change it for ftpd light.

1. ....yes? You're kinda forced to by booting into cfw after putting it onto the card...
2. Tried that one, but no luck, so imma go around redownloading all the sys-modules to see if that's my problem. Wish me luck...

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Your reading needs improvement. :P

bad361

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
1. ....yes? You're kinda forced to by booting into cfw after putting it onto the card...
2. Tried that one, but no luck, so imma go around redownloading all the sys-modules to see if that's my problem. Wish me luck...
i meant restarting after putting all of the required tesla files on your sd..

kickcross

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I have bolded what you are doing wrong... Proving my point. :ph34r:

But it only told me what was wrong, not what it should have been. I just decided that I was going to start fresh with the new Kosmos version, since it's included and working, and speeds up the whole updating thing I was doing anyways.

You've done it. You've turned me into one of those pissy little kids that I hate having to deal with on the Internet. I'm disgusted with myself...

Last edited by kickcross,
D

Deleted User

But it only told me what was wrong, not what it should have been. I just decided that I was going to start fresh with the new Kosmos version, since it's included and working, and speeds up the whole updating thing I was doing anyways.

You've done it. You've turned me into one of those pissy little kids that I hate having to deal with on the Internet. I'm disgusted with myself...

masagrator shindoshi master i bow before you. I am ever thankful to your contributions to the scene. But master this is why i make my video with helpful drag and drop setup. Merely point folk to this or let me help them. I assure you i will not ignore noobs. I was once a noob and am very thankful for your work. Do not busy yourself with them. There is no sarcasm here. This is legit how I feel.

hey man! I kinda anticipated stuff like this so I made a helpful video with a drag and drop setup. Give me like half an hour though cause he just updated the fps plugin with vulkan k. Hope this helps!

Basically what he is telling you is you are putting folders in the wrong paths or directories long story short but if you use my drag and drop you don’t even need to worry about that! I am going to throw in edizon just for you!

ok i updated my drag and drop setup with Edizon ovl and latest salty fps plugin

Last edited by ,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: I thought it was duck season, not... king kong season....