Gaming Tentative tutorial on basic hacking info.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So I'm considering writing a barebones tutorial on "hacking" stuff for the PC. It'd cover a general overview of concepts like processes versus services and an introduction to hex editing (say, to modify things or find what format a file is), the concepts of various encoding methods (ASCII versus UTF-x, hex-decimal display versus hex display), and then into really basic info on modifying programs (debugging stuff, making a "cracked" exe replacement), just to show people the types of tools used and how they'd start learning to hack stuff. And of course for each section I'd also give links at the bottom to more advanced tutorials for looking into each subject.

And as usual, to try to encourage people to contribute for once.

My question is, should I? I've made various other tutorials like this (on a more technical level) in the past nobody really cared about, and I'm feeling kinda' lazy, and a lot of the info is in Fast's various guides (and the ROM hacking ones) as it is, so the only "new" info would really be specific to modifying windows programs, and there's tons of tutorials about that already.

Reactions: 2 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
I think that'd be good, I'd certainly appreciate it at least. it's hard to find a decent beginner's hacking guide that isn't written by some arrogant douche. Most of what I've seen are written by people that either a) Don't know how to write guides and don't think from a newbie's point of view and up just losing me, b) Are simply arrogant and not very helpful (ie "you don't know that? go google it"). or c) write pages and pages so that you eventually just give up out of boredom.
It'd be nice to see something different for a change.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Lazy is as lazy does. How often do people ask to learn how to hack?

inb4 Console forums.

Extra note, I'm about half way through creating that PC guide. There aren't enough hours left after work to really get into it, plus I've been feeling kinda lazy.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: