Tempmas 2014 Starts Here! Week #1

Vengenceonu

Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought contests should have a minimum post count requirement. Lurkers don't generate any discussion or contribute anything to the community.

trust me, I can assure you post count contribution. Some people talk mainly to hear their own voices.

EDIT: my 2000th post!

jomaper

Trophies
XP
Country
Uzbekistan
trust me, I can assure you post count contribution. Some people talk mainly to hear their own voices.

EDIT: my 2000th post!
Haha, kinda funny!
I agree, I don't have much free time so I just try to talk when I can help, as you can see in my posts, but I understand too the point of view of the people that gets mad when new accounts win this kind of stuff, it may be frustrating, but truth is, it's a contest not related in any way to the post count, so...
Waiting for the results! (Even tho I don't really think I stand a chance against that amount of good stuff that got uploaded in the last 3 days ;_; )

Reactions: djavs

djavs

Trophies
XP
Country
Usually, they will announce it on the front page of this thread AND the front page of gbatemp.net. Winners are also PM'd personally to get their shipping address'.

Loser bitch and moan after the results come out because usually the winners have low post counts or they lurk for years and only come out to win these events.

probably announce it in the next few days :-) either way it was laugh joining in the festive fun

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Lurkers are still tempers to me. Although some might consider me a lurker...
you can lurk and still have a high post count :P I'm proof enough. I lurk way more than I post now days.
I don't think you two quite understand what a lurker is. A lurker is someone who never posts. Not "they used to post a bit but now they don't really", but just someone who joins and either never posts, or only posts a small handful of times. Most notably, lurkers tend to only come out during contests around here. This means potentially being a member for years while only posting maybe 20 some odd times, if not less, always during Tempmas competitions or otherwise. They're here for the information and the occasional free stuff. They otherwise don't feel a need to add their voice to any conversations on the site at any point. On boards without competitions, lurkers are just those with accounts who exist. They literally never post for any reason.

After a certain point, you can lurk, but you are not really a lurker once you've made yourself known to the community in regular discussion. You're just a less active member.

And really, there is no way to fairly stop people who purely lurk from competing in skill based competitions. For one, it wouldn't particularly be fair that just because they don't feel the need to post that they be disqualified, especially if it's something like this where someone is skilled and wants to contribute their work. So that's a negative on using post count. If you try to discriminate based on account age, you then have to figure out where the line is. In that scenario, you then risk excluding new contributing members who don't meet the age requirement, regardless of where the line is drawn, and further risk pushing people away from the community who feel excluded right away as a new member.

In the long run, it's easier just to include everybody to get the widest range of entries possible. Even if they lurk, if it's an art based competition like this, it isn't as if just tossing a post in will potentially get a win. If they're willing to work at the competition, they should be just as eligible as anybody else, regardless of how much or how often they choose to post.

Of course, age based restriction does work sometimes, like with a raffle type competition. In that scenario, it keeps people from potentially making multiple accounts exclusively to enter.

Reactions: djavs and jomaper

WhiteMaze

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I don't think you two quite understand what a lurker is. A lurker is someone who never posts. Not "they used to post a bit but now they don't really", but just someone who joins and either never posts, or only posts a small handful of times. Most notably, lurkers tend to only come out during contests around here. This means potentially being a member for years while only posting maybe 20 some odd times, if not less, always during Tempmas competitions or otherwise. They're here for the information and the occasional free stuff. They otherwise don't feel a need to add their voice to any conversations on the site at any point. On boards without competitions, lurkers are just those with accounts who exist. They literally never post for any reason.

After a certain point, you can lurk, but you are not really a lurker once you've made yourself known to the community in regular discussion. You're just a less active member.

And really, there is no way to fairly stop people who purely lurk from competing in skill based competitions. For one, it wouldn't particularly be fair that just because they don't feel the need to post that they be disqualified, especially if it's something like this where someone is skilled and wants to contribute their work. So that's a negative on using post count. If you try to discriminate based on account age, you then have to figure out where the line is. In that scenario, you then risk excluding new contributing members who don't meet the age requirement, regardless of where the line is drawn, and further risk pushing people away from the community who feel excluded right away as a new member.

In the long run, it's easier just to include everybody to get the widest range of entries possible. Even if they lurk, if it's an art based competition like this, it isn't as if just tossing a post in will potentially get a win. If they're willing to work at the competition, they should be just as eligible as anybody else, regardless of how much or how often they choose to post.

Of course, age based restriction does work sometimes, like with a raffle type competition. In that scenario, it keeps people from potentially making multiple accounts exclusively to enter.

Well, I'm generally not a lurker. However the fact that this years contest had the possibility of using my skills as someone that works as an Illustration artist, I decided to enter. For the very first time.

Unfortunately, due to work and general lack of time during these past few days, I was unable to finish my entry on time.

However, I am still going to finish, and probably will use it as a "donation" (if you can call it that), to GBAtemp and its community. I hope this is enough to clear my name as far as a lurker goes.

Reactions: djavs

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I still maintain that lurkers, even by Drake's definition (which we share, BTW), are still a welcome part of the community. I was a lurker (as in nonposter) for years and still felt welcome. I don't think I would have become active and helped so many people on the GBA board or ran those dumb voting competitions if I didn't feel welcome.

Reactions: WhiteMaze

ss4gogeta069

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose I would prob be considered a lurker. I contribute when I can but a lot of people don't contribute bc they don't feel like they have anythign helpful to say. It's not that they just sit around waiting for the competitions and giveaways. Some do I'm sure but most just don't think they have anything to contribute!

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm a mix bag when it comes to activity, I had few friends 2-3 years ago who've left now (I used to be super active, gbatemp all day everyday).

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a long time lurker long before I "signed up". Bit more active in the past month than I normally have been though.

endawmyke

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a lot of people don't contribute bc they don't feel like they have anythign helpful to say. It's not that they just sit around waiting for the competitions and giveaways. Some do I'm sure but most just don't think they have anything to contribute!

This

I've been frequenting GBATemp for a while, mostly for tutorials and I realize that I don't really have anything to say.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for the results! (Even tho I don't really think I stand a chance against that amount of good stuff that got uploaded in the last 3 days ;_; )
I feel quite the same way, I have a snowball of a chance of winning, and they're better ones posted then mine by long shot. So weather or not you win, as long as you have fun designing a Christmas or Tempmas card, then that is all that matters.

I suppose I would prob be considered a lurker. I contribute when I can but a lot of people don't contribute bc they don't feel like they have anythign helpful to say. It's not that they just sit around waiting for the competitions and giveaways. Some do I'm sure but most just don't think they have anything to contribute!
I second this as well.

This

I've been frequenting GBATemp for a while, mostly for tutorials and I realize that I don't really have anything to say.
Been doing a lot of this lately, and it's mostly for news and I most often times don't have anything to say also.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: it looks like a little kids' game, and bunny (welcome btw) is looking for an uncensor patch