Television or av to hdmi adapter?

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So, i decided to brought to my home a trinitron wega 21 i used for only 2 years because the only av television in my home is from my younger brother now. After using it, stayed for more than a decade in my grandma's salon. When i talked about picking it back to my grandma, the boyfriend of my cousin talked about an av to hdmi adapter that costs only 40 reais. So i was thinking what is better to use to play old videogames, The television or the av to hdmi adapter?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So, i decided to brought to my home a trinitron wega 21 i used for only 2 years because the only av television in my home is from my younger brother now. After using it, stayed for more than a decade in my grandma's salon. When i talked about picking it back to my grandma, the boyfriend of my cousin talked about an av to hdmi adapter that costs only 40 reais. So i was thinking what is better to use to play old videogames, The television or the av to hdmi adapter?

Talking from experience:

If you don't have consoles with HDMI outputs, you better stick with Composite cables and Composite inputs on your TV.

If you have consoles with HDMI outputs, you better use one of those fany LCDs panels to connect through HDMI.

I believe, if your console supports it, and if your TV supports HDMI-v3 you can play at full 4K.

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Talking from experience:

If you don't have consoles with HDMI outputs, you better stick with Composite cables and Composite inputs on your TV.

If you have consoles with HDMI outputs, you better use one of those fany LCDs panels to connect through HDMI.

I believe, if your console supports it, and if your TV supports HDMI-v3 you can play at full 4K.
I have videogames with hdmi outputs and av outputs. I am thinking in just have a tv to play old videogames or have an av to hdmi to play them.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
YOU KNOW WHAT?
Now that I rethink your question... the best way to play Old School games is the following:

1.- Get a 4K TV and HDMI-v3 cable.
2.- Get a console capable to support HDMI-v3
3.- Install Retroarch to your console.

That's the best way you could EVER possibly play old school games.

If you're like me, get a 29+inches Sony Trinitron, get a Wii, get Composite cables, install retroarch to your wii and play your games that way. You won't get input lag.

Last edited by JuanMena,

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
YOU KNOW WHAT?
Now that I rething your question... the best way to play Old School games is the following:

1.- Get a 4K TV and HDMI-v3 cable.
2.- Get a console capable to support HDMI-v3
3.- Install Retroarch to your console.

That's the best way you could EVER possibly play old school games.

If you're like me, get a 29+inches Sony Trinitron, get a Wii, get Composite cables, install retroarch to your wii and play your games that way. You won't get input lag.
What i want is to play old school consoles i have here. I want to know if it's better to play my megadrive, Super Nintendo, Ps2, Wii, N64 and Famicom on this television or play them through an av to hdmi adapter. Now that you talked about retroarch, what is better? Play retroarch on wii in this old television or play retroarch on pc with shaders?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What i want is to play old school consoles i have here. I want to know if it's better to play my megadrive, Super Nintendo, Ps2, Wii, N64 and Famicom on this television or play them through an av to hdmi adapter. Now that you talked about retroarch, what is better? Play retroarch on wii in this old television or play retroarch on pc with shaders?

Megadrive, Super Nintendo Famicom: Retroarch Wii.
Ps2: CRT TV with Composite inputs.
Wii: CRT TV with Component Inputs.
Nintendo 64: CRT TV with Composite Inputs.

Now with the Nintendo Wii: You can install Retroarch on it, and hook yout Wii to a CRT TV with either Composite or Component cables.
If your TV supports EDTV resolutions (480p) then by all means do use Component cables. If not, stick with Composite.

If your computer has a lot of power, I'd install Retroarch on it, and I'd hook my computer to a HDTV (LCD or PLASMA) trhough HDMI and I'll play my games on it and of course I'd use Retroarch Overlays.
Shaders are different than overlays.
An overlay is an imposed image over your games, for instance, scanlines, grids, etc.
Shaders takes out resources from your PC to work. For instance, smooth filtering, dithering, scaling, texturing, etc.

If you are able to emulate powerful consoles on your pc, by all means go with it.

I WOULD REALLY PASS OUT THE AV TO HDMI CONVERTER BECAUSE IT ADDS INPUT LAG

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Megadrive, Super Nintendo Famicom: Retroarch Wii.
Ps2: CRT TV with Composite inputs.
Wii: CRT TV with Component Inputs.
Nintendo 64: CRT TV with Composite Inputs.

Now with the Nintendo Wii: You can install Retroarch on it, and hook yout Wii to a CRT TV with either Composite or Component cables.
If your TV supports EDTV resolutions (480p) then by all means do use Component cables. If not, stick with Composite.

If your computer has a lot of power, I'd install Retroarch on it, and I'd hook my computer to a HDTV (LCD or PLASMA) trhough HDMI and I'll play my games on it and of course I'd use Retroarch Overlays.
Shaders are different than overlays.
An overlay is an imposed image over your games, for instance, scanlines, grids, etc.
Shaders takes out resources from your PC to work. For instance, smooth filtering, dithering, scaling, texturing, etc.

If you are able to emulate powerful consoles on your pc, by all means go with it.

I WOULD REALLY PASS OUT THE AV TO HDMI CONVERTER BECAUSE IT ADDS INPUT LAG
Ok, thank you by the answer.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
To actually answer your original question and not just recommend emulators, you would NOT want to use any AV->HDMI adapter period, unless it's a proper upscaler (which is much more expensive than a standard adapter, like $150 USD expensive). They will introduce awful scaling, which will make your OG games look way worse on any HDTV vs an old CRT.

You should use your old CRT for your classic consoles, including your MegaDrive, Famicon, SNES, N64, and probably the PS2. For your Wii, I also might suggest the CRT, but using it on an HDTV is fine if you have component cables (which are like $10 USD).

Emulation is also a fair option if you don't care about playing on your actual consoles, and was already covered above.

ericgobbo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
To actually answer your original question and not just recommend emulators, you would NOT want to use any AV->HDMI adapter period, unless it's a proper upscaler (which is much more expensive than a standard adapter, like $150 USD expensive). They will introduce awful scaling, which will make your OG games look way worse on any HDTV vs an old CRT.

You should use your old CRT for your classic consoles, including your MegaDrive, Famicon, SNES, N64, and probably the PS2. For your Wii, I also might suggest the CRT, but using it on an HDTV is fine if you have component cables (which are like $10 USD).

Emulation is also a fair option if you don't care about playing on your actual consoles, and was already covered above.
Ok. I just play the games i don't have in emulators. The games i have i play on my consoles. And i don't use composite, i always use av cables.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Goku likes to flip the bean to get others healthy