Tegra X1 power for homebrew?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Jacobh, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jacobh
    OP

Jacobh Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Apologize if there is already a thread on this, but I didn't see one. Can anyone provide context on what type of home brew the Switch might be capable of in the future?

The reason I am asking is that I wound up with an extra Switch that is currently on 3.0 firmware. I was probably going to buy an extra dock and set of joycons at some point in the future, so considering that the tablet portion itself isn't that expensive. If we'll likely see up to 16 bit emulation but not much else, I have other things that can do that and will return it. If we could see homebrew not possible on other portable platforms I'd likely keep it.

I know it's too early to say what and when homebrew will ever be available, so I'm asking more to understand the general power of the chipset for homebrew/emulation in theory.

2. yusuo

yusuo Jam Master Jay

Oct 19, 2006
    United States
    In theory you can expect full HD media player as well as emulation upto gamecube level.

May not happen but the switch should be capable of it

3. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    Well, we can easily compare it with the Nvidia Shield TV, though the Switch clocks lower.

PSP emulation is gonna shine, it will be able to run 95% of PSP games at full speed at 720p.
    GameCube depends on the game, lightweight/optimized games (Eternal Darkness, Luigis Mansion) will probably run while it would struggle with Zelda WW/TP.
    Everything below (PSX, N64, etc) should be no problem.

For native games, it should be able to easily run Quake 1-3 and maybe 4, plus we might be able to get Shield games to run (RE5, DOOM 3 BFG, etc).

Best case scenario is that we manage to run Android, because then we could run all Shield games plus all emulators without needing to code new ones.

4. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Gamecube would be a best case scenario, don't take it for granted.
    I wonder if a PS2 emulator could be made to run playable on it, but if I am to base my predictions on how Play! runs on the Shield, the future doesn't look bright.

petethepug and KiiWii like this.
  5. nmkd

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    I have a GPD Win which has roughly the same power as a portable Switch.
    Zelda Wind Waker and Twilight Princess run at 30 fps with some drops, but PS2 games are barely playable - using the best, most mature PS2 emulator there is.

TL;DR: We can forget PS2 on Switch, at least for the next 2-3 years.

6. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Don't forget that the Switch can overclock when in "docked mode" (hooked up to a TV). Jailbraking it would unlock it, kinda like "333 MHz" was on the PSP. But it will obviously draw more power... In "standard mode" the battery lasts a measly ~3h anyway, so when overclocked... probably around ~1-2h. But even so, I would be a happy camper with PSP emulation.

High-end tablets from a year ago or so, can emulate PSP games pretty well. And the Switch is just that. Especially when overclocked.

Edit: About PS2 emulation, I have a pretty baller PC (i7 6700k @ 4.6 GHz, 16 GB RAM, GTX 1070) and some games don't run that well on PCSX2, even in software mode. Let alone on the Switch... I guess time will tell. It's great that the Switch has L3 and R3 buttons, but too bad that it doesn't have pressure-sensitive L2 and R2 triggers. :( A lot of PS2 games make use of them. And also, the lack of a proper D-Pad.

Last edited by DSpider, Oct 17, 2017
  7. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    You don't want to overclock the Switch past its current clocks as that will compromise the thermal budget out of dock with the screen on.

The reason isn't battery life, its fire.

8. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    But you could use better cooling.
    Look like the perfect companion for that winter hike through Siberia.

9. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    A toasty companion on the long trip through the gulag.

10. sarkwalvein

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I don't know what would come first though, death by hypothermia or battery exhaustion.
    But probably both would have occurred after one hour.

11. MK73DS

MK73DS Non-commutative algebra

Feb 23, 2015
    France
    France
    Being able to run Android on the Switch may be the best thing we can do for emulation :D
    I hope that will one day be possible :D

12. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Gamecube and Wii games could be possible, no doubt, more so since RetroArch has begun work on everything Dolphin related as a main core.
    And Dolphin runs games quite nicely on the Shield, so no doubt they should run just as well on the Switch.
    PS2 I don't know, it's like a hit or miss kind of thing, I feel like the emulators for it are not as optimized as one would think.

My sweet dream of the Switch would be to be able to run a media player like Kodi on it, alongside with everything Nintendo up to the Gamecube/Wii.
    Perhaps Dreamcast could run too, but PS2 seems way too much for it at the moment.

13. AtlasFontaine

AtlasFontaine GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 18, 2015
    Venezuela
    Venezuela-Zulia.
    I think using the vulkan renderer may give better performance than the GPD WIN on dolphin.

This video is 1 year old, but I think it demostrates the gains of vulkan over OpenGL/directx.

Last edited by AtlasFontaine, Oct 17, 2017
    zacchi4k and ShadowOne333 like this.
  14. DSpider

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    If it reaches the clock speeds that are used when it's docked, it will be fine. The console was designed to work at those speeds. The fan will kick into high gear and probably become a bit noisier (more noticeable when holding it instead of under the TV five feet away from you), but that's fine, you can use headphones or something. I'm more concerned about the battery life. ~3h is pathetic.

Last edited by DSpider, Oct 17, 2017
  15. V-Temp

V-Temp GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 20, 2017
    United States
    The dock turns off the screen, thats a very significant delta on your thermal envelope.

zacchi4k and peteruk like this.
  16. DSpider

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    I didn't know screens heated up that much (or at all, really).

Running my finger across my desktop monitor, it doesn't release any heat at all, except for a small corner (which I suspect is where the integrated power brick is). Same with my N3DS XL and my PSP, no thermal output at all.

17. nmkd

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    It's not lol, screens like that barely produce any heat.

18. Frysenberg

Frysenberg Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2017
    Canada
    Not only this, the battery itself would heat up simply from discharging.

Enthalpy.

19. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    You say 3 hours is pathetic, i bout my new gaming laptop few momths ago, with high end tech
    The batrery last about that,3 hours, without gaming, so yea
    I think 3 hours battwry for switch ia pretty good

zacchi4k and ov3rkill like this.
  20. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Try apps on Nvidia shield tv, it is tegra x1 after all, if you really need something to compare.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted