Tegra X1 power for homebrew?

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Jacobh, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Adoptive father of my kitty named Zelda

Banned
    GBAtemp Patron
    Noctosphere is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Back with kitty Zelda forever :D
    Not sure, but i thougj shield had a lower version of tegra in switch
    Idr the name though, tegrak1,?

2. TheVinAnator

TheVinAnator GBATemp's Greatest Vin

Jan 10, 2016
    Canada
    NO COFFEI!
    Really? On that rig you can't run any PS2 game? I find that very hard to believe.

3. Jacobh
    OP

Jacobh Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies. It seems like theoretically GBA/SNES emulation which occasionally pushes a PSP / Vita for some games should work at full speed, N64 should be as good as it can be, and maybe a decent library of Gamecube games if we're lucky. I have a PSP, so while the big screen and up-sampled PSP emulation would definitely be an improvement, I think Game Cube would be the big a draw for me.

4. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Well, that is Shield TV, which runs its CPU cores at 2.0Ghz, whereas the Switch runs at 1.0Ghz. Could cause an issue in the actual emulation. Also, Shield TV runs with Android, which also cuts into available resources. Getting Android on Switch may not leave much for actual apps like Dolphin.

5. Enigma Hall

Enigma Hall GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 6, 2013
    Brazil
    Dont ilude yourself. This system is fadded to doom.
    I doubt it will play ps2 games at a confortable speed and vita games. Not only because the processor but i think you people are waiting to mutch of the people who will create and adapt the emulators to run with the switch. I belive it's a lot of work for a problematic hybrole.
    But good luck with it.

zoogie likes this.
  6. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Banned
    Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    lol.

zoogie likes this.
  7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Shield TV has Tegra X1, Shield TABLET has K1, Shield PORTABLE has Tegra 4, which makes it better than Ouya which has Tegra 3.

8. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    I also predict DS/3DS emulation, since those consoles and the Switch both use an ARM processor emulation should be less intensive than emulating on PC

9. nmkd

nmkd GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    DS? Easily.

3DS? no way, we don't have an emulator on Android yet, and even the PC one isn't mature.

Tumoche likes this.
  10. zacchi4k

zacchi4k GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 6, 2015
    Italy
    Somewhere eating pizza
    Sorry for the offtopic, but what do you mean by "software mode"?

11. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    Software mode doesn't allow you to upscale the resolution, but has better compatibility and performance - as long as you have a decent dual core/quad core with high clock speeds (which is what emulation thrives on, not GPU, you can use an older Geforce 6800 just fine with that emulator).

For example, "Psychonauts" and "Constantine" have graphical glitches and slowdowns, even in this basic mode, "Futurama The Game" has some minor glitches but SEVERE slowdowns during most levels (I barely managed to finish it, with tons of frustration), "Star Wars Racer: Revenge" has a swamp level that crashes the emulator... I guess developers focused on the more "popular" games, like God of War maybe? I don't know, I have both GoW collections remastered on the PS3.

PCSX2 is an emulator in development for fifteen years (according to its Wikipedia page), while a PS2 emulator for the Switch is in development for -4 years.

Last edited by DSpider, Oct 18, 2017
  12. nmkd

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    For Android, not for Switch, to be exact.

Though we might get Android on Switch eventually.

13. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    For PC. Android wasn't even around back then.

14. nmkd

Oct 25, 2016
    Germany
    I thought you meant Play! for Android that has been in development for a few years.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted