Hacking Discussion Team Xecuter Switch SX

scary_dog

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess someone may dump the nand of cfw after it releases with the fusee payload in that usb stick thingy.. result will be same but you need you pc to deliver the payload instead.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I guess someone may dump the nand of cfw after it releases with the fusee payload in that usb stick thingy.. result will be same but you need you pc to deliver the payload instead.
I would imagine they have some sort of DRM that verifies the hardware upon initial boot

tbh I'm guessing something similar or better will end up being released fairly soon in terms of publicly developed CFW

Last edited by gamesquest1,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I hope they won't charge too much for this. Seems like it would be a fairly simple device that could use hardware similar to a Raspberry Pi Zero.
I'd expect it not to cost much more than $30 like a DSTWO.

Flying Scotsman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So they went with a cartridge emulator rather than just allowing people to install titles in NUS format.
I guess that makes sense, since all the current dumps are from cartridges, and Nintendo might have some measures in place to detect when titles are installed that aren't owned by any account on the system.
I like the PC-less dongle approach, but we need a device like this that works with other payloads, such as Linux and Atmosphere.

If I remember the Switch security talk correctly, Nintendo learnt from the 3DS to include anti-piracy code for eShop titles (mostly to check whether you legit purchased it), but they didn't mention carts.

It looks like Xecutor is just spoofing what game is in the slot to get around the anti-piracy check (as currently - there's no piracy check for carts but there may be soon enough).

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I hope they won't charge too much for this. Seems like it would be a fairly simple device that could use hardware similar to a Raspberry Pi Zero.
I'd expect it not to cost much more than $30 like a DSTWO.
yeah I was thinking to try make something similar out of a raspberry pi zero, but haven't had the time XD

If I remember the Switch security talk correctly, Nintendo learnt from the 3DS to include anti-piracy code for eShop titles (mostly to check whether you legit purchased it), but they didn't mention carts.

It looks like Xecutor is just spoofing what game is in the slot to get around the anti-piracy check (as currently - there's no piracy check for carts but there may be soon enough).

idk we know every cart has unique ID's (same as with the 3DS), so if they really wanted to Nintendo could start banning people using dupe/invalid cart ID's

Last edited by gamesquest1,
Reactions: peteruk

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Meh from what I see the payload only needs to be launched once and even then its probably doable over wireless using an Android phone.

Every time you start your Switch up you'll need to launch the payloads. Coming out of sleep mode however will keep them active. Many, (but not all) modern smartphones will work. All the same you'd be relying on a second device that needs power of its own, you'd have to launch something on your phone/computer, and you'll need to be in a situation where you can connect your Switch to your phone, (so for example, this method wouldn't be achievable on a plane with your Switch in airplane mode). If that stuff doesn't bother or apply to you, then yeah, just stick with the computer-tethered method. Else, you might want to at least consider this dongle, its actually a fairly decent device in my opinion, though certainly not your only option.

link42586

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think they demonstrate it with the latest firmware.... and they are a profit group so thats why you need their tools
It's the CFW that has people thinking more into this as it actually boots games i'm assuming. But we will soon enough have that. Probably before this thing is released. So again. Why would we need/want this.

Adhrast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The only thing this announcement did for me was to encourage me to go on eBay, buy a 3d printed jig and explore the free alternatives.

eXhumer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's the CFW that has people thinking more into this as it actually boots games i'm assuming. But we will soon enough have that. Probably before this thing is released. So again. Why would we need/want this.

The dongle to launch payload without the need of another device.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

We are going to run into the public/private header problem from the 3DS again though, and this time we might not be able to just take a header from one of our own games and use it to avoid bans, it might have to be a header from the same game.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Interesting. The macphone +2