Team-Xecuter announces future-proof Switch exploit

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by SonyUSA, Jan 2, 2018.

1. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
  2. tpax

tpax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    I am, but there is nothing on the radar right now or at least announced for this year. Years will pass until Metroid, Bayonetta or Animal Crossing. I hope that there will be something interesting announced at the next Nintendo Direct.

3. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
  4. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    A modchip alone doesn't mean Nintendo can't try something, depending on the hack, I remember MS once updated phat 360 consoles which required alterations to RGH.

The Real Jdbye likes this.
  5. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    As has already been said a number of times in this thread, a hardware reviosn has been used by MS, Sony and Nintendo to combat modchip style hacks.

6. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Yeah... but somehow Microsoft was able to patch J-Tag - even though its a hardware mod

You can only install J-Tag right now if you have an older version of the dashboard

7. Diego788
    This message by Diego788 has been removed from public view by Minox, Jan 9, 2018, Reason: One-word post.
    Jan 3, 2018
  8. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    They haven't even had their January direct yet, which is where they will very likely announce their 2018 lineup.

spacelaser likes this.
  9. MeAndHax

MeAndHax GBAtemp Fan

Feb 7, 2017
    United States
    Well, I hope.

10. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 12, 2009
    And they've also tried software methods (JTAG, RGH 1 vs 2, boot 2/system menu 4.2 and 3.56+).

They didn't ultimately prevent hacks but they did make it harder.

11. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Microsoft fixed the JTAG exploit because they burned one of the CPU's e-fuses after updating the 360's kernel, effectively patching the exploit and rendering a downgrade impossible at the same time. Howerer, if Team Xecuter has actually managed to take over the Switch's bootchain then no downgrade should be needed at all, so even if the Switch has e-fuses just like the 360 they're basically useless in this scenario.

Of course this is all speculation as nobody knows how this method works, and even if it's something like that then it can still be "patched" by making another hardware revision. But hey, no matter what it is, it's still pretty mindblowing to see the Switch hacked wide open in so little time if you ask me (and I don't even own one, so I coulnd't care less about muh piracy).

DayVeeBoi and MeAndHax like this.
  12. haxan

haxan GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    in my room?
    do you guys think that early switch hacks will cause developers to step away from the switch? (not that i have any problem with the hacks)
    just a thought and a worry i have.

13. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    You expect something worthwhile to come from a Nintendo Direct, something all those other second and third party devs have not shouted from the rooftops, investor reports have not detailed and journalists have not variously dug up? Are you still drunk from new year's eve?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Nintendo announced the 2017 lineup at their January direct, including odyssey and Zelda. We only knew slightly about Mario because bits of it showed up in the December switch announcement video. We got actual announcements of games at the direct.
    And info on a game announcement for the January direct was accidentally leaked

Last edited by TheCyberQuake, Jan 3, 2018
  15. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    That is true. Xecuter claims it can't be patched, but they might have missed something. Just as Nintendo constantly misses flaws in their code, hackers can also make mistakes.

DayVeeBoi, SLiV3R and Orangy57 like this.
  16. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBAtemp Regular

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Nah, I don't think so. Look at the DS and Wii: they both have been hacked in all possible and imaginable ways out there and they still had a huge number of third-party games. Sure, they've both had a ton of shovelware games too, but that was mainly because they were hugely popular consoles with very cheap development costs, so that doesn't have anything to do with piracy (afterall the whole point of shovelware games is to make a game with very low effort/dev costs and then try to sell a lot of copies by pricing it lower than other games, so shovelware devs should avoid platforms riddled with piracy instead of releasing stuff on them)

17. haxan

haxan GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2011
    in my room?
    thanks for the reply man!
    I do see your point and i'm glad/relieved hacking won't kill off the switch (seeing how short life span it had before the hacks dev kicked in)
    looking forward to see the switch scene grow :D

18. AkitoUF

AkitoUF Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2016
    Cote d'Ivoire
    This is exciting news but for some reason I don't want the Switch to be cracked yet.
    I KNOW if I pirate mine I'll stop playing on it, I already know I'm not playing my games on my recently hacked PS3, games I always wanted to bought.
    For some reason, when games don't cost me money I don't feel the will to finish them and I'd hate that happened to me with the Switch, I'm loving the console and its games so far.

Still, exciting news, I want to see how this turns out.

CallmeBerto and Johntendo like this.
  19. tpax

tpax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Well, no one is forcing you to pirate anything. I know what you mean, if you don't buy a game, you don't feel the value of that game and actually no motivation to finish it, a lesson I learned in my early gaming days. Even though I had CFW on my 3DS, even with a backup loader, I bought every game that I wanted to play and used the CFW solely for emulation.
    Same story with the Switch, I'm really looking forward to play some old Nintendo and Sega stuff on it.

20. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

Aug 17, 2015
    United States
    Yeah i think this is the issue with me too. If I have a million games, I just never finish any of them. I got a flashcart for my DS years ago and loaded it with tons of games, but I never made any progress because I had such a large collection of games I wanted to play that I never could truly experience them

Johntendo and SLiV3R like this.
  21. tpax

tpax Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    You won't have that problem with the Switch, since the Switch doesn't have a large collection of games that you will want to play. So don't worry, mate.