Team-Xecuter announces future-proof Switch exploit

Team-Xecuter revealed in a teaser a method to bypass all Switch security in a manner that they claim will never be patched by Nintendo and is compatible with every firmware available!

In the video, they show a custom boot image and have publicly posted the Stage2 Bootloader key (package 1.1) which has been confirmed to be legit as proof of their pwnage over the device.

This solution will work on ANY Nintendo Switch console regardless of the currently installed firmware, and will be completely future proof. This is *the* solution for opening up CFW (Custom FirmWare) on the Nintendo Switch. We want to move the community forward and provide a persistent, stable and fast method of running your own code and custom firmware patches on Nintendo's latest flagship product. And we think we've succeeded!

Below you can find a quick video showcasing a Nintendo Switch booting up, but there s something funny going on, can you spot it?

This is expected to be a DRM/paid "device", speculated to be a tx1 glitch style modchip that will enable CFW and full access to the system, which unfortunately(?) includes piracy.

A T-X forum admin expects release around Spring of 2018

:arrow:Source

hiroakihsu

SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Please enlighten me as to what happened. AFAIK everyone I knew had a NDS and the system itself sold pretty well even after the flashcards got released..

...The drop in 3rd party software support and the invasion of shovelwares?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The DS is quite literally one of (if not THE) highest grossing console(s) of all time, my dude. Pretty sure the PSP did really well, too

What I'm trying to point out is the drop in 3rd-party software support and the invasion of shovelware after that.

hiroakihsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
At one point I would have agreed with you, but then that EU study leaked that showed piracy has no significant impact on game sales. And on top of that, the Switch is already doing leagues better in 3rd party support than its predecessor

Although I do think that "predecessor" (the 3DS) was suffering in 3rd-party software support partly because of what had happened previously with the NDS.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Although I do think that "predecessor" (the 3DS) was suffering in 3rd-party software support partly because of what had happened previously with the NDS.

This. I don't think piracy has a direct effect on game sales.. rather than game development. It'd be a deterring factor to develop for a console that's open. In my opinion, anyways.

Last edited by Kioku,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

V-Temp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This guy is jumping to conclusions more than a grasshopper. How is he supposed to know what they have made....
Just gotta wait for more information instead of this theory crafting..

Misused 'stolen work' claims aside, the actual outline on what this is comes from an informed place and odds on his deduction being correct are quite high but certainly not guaranteed. The problem for near everyone is the lack of info in general and the rather brazen claims, which still ring as a bit more of a grandstanding for marketing than the actual reality but it will depend on the exact method.

The timing, of course, is very much opportunistic especially with how its a very targeted "put your fears aside" sort of angle on their announcement.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No way, is this real? And ALL firmwares? If so, absolutely embarassing for reswitched devs who kept saying to stay on 3.0 or we’re screwed/we’ll be waiting years if we update haha.

Hoping for the best, I’m on 4.0.1 and have been enjoying my Switch, gonna love it even more modded ;)
its just the process of waiting for homebrew apps/cfw to exist and of course installing the mod which will obviously be some kind of hardmod

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It’s not possible to “pwn” a device forever...
In the worst case there will be new revision of the console that will have a different bootloader and the modchip won’t work on those models

So what? They can't invalidate the old hardware. The old hardware will stay compatible with future games.

hiroakihsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was referring to the Wii U, which flopped

The same can be said for the Wii U as well, as it was suffering in 3rd-party support partly because of the rampant piracy scene on the Wii.

Edit: Anyways I'm not saying in any way that I'm against the Switch being hacked to run backups...It's a doubled-sided sword; I'm just as happy as the next person to see the Switch hacked to run backups, but I'm also worried at the same time that it'll affect 3rd-party support in the future, since I'd also like to see good official games come out for it.

Last edited by hiroakihsu,

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The same can be said for the Wii U as well, as it was suffering in 3rd-party support partly because of the rampant piracy scene on the Wii.
There were a lot of factors that went into the Wii U's failure, but I doubt that's one of them, given that EA and Ubisoft at least TRIED to support it at launch

Reactions: Kioku

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it's from Team Xecuter, it's likely a modchip of some kind, but their reputation suggests this will be actively supported for a good while.

However, given Nintendo made the Switch to be disposable with its sealed battery and no clean way to replace it, it's still a notion that you're basically just renting the console at $300 a pop. And that's assuming you can get one at all.

As long as whatever this "perma-pwn" device is that they'll plan to sell can be easily transferred from one console to the next, it has a chance of outliving the console. Otherwise, whatever they ask for it will be too much if its life is basically tied with the health of the sealed battery inside.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

There were a lot of factors that went into the Wii U's failure, but I doubt that's one of them, given that EA and Ubisoft at least TRIED to support it at launch
Agreed, like the fact that the PS3 and 360 were using modern POWER based CPU's while the WiiU's CPU was basically borrowed wholesale from the CPU that was in the PowerMac G3... a whole two decades ago (if not longer). It was more than a generation behind, and Nintendo's reputation for how it mistreats third parties is well deserved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N-3vv4kzdk