ROM Hack Teach me the translation arts!!

metalgearoholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is hard stuff, but can someone link me to a tutorial on how to translate and what tools to use cause I really wanna learn. thanks in advance.

benhanks040888

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
yeah, me too. I tried reading the documentation in the sticky thread, but it's way too unorganized, and i think most of the software mentioned in it are difficult to be found.

There are a couple of great translators in this forum like psycoblaster, noitora, throughhim, etc, and I wonder if you guys can teach us the simple way to translate a game. Just to change the text in the game is enough.

Tell me if the procedures here are correct :
1. Dump / Unpack an NDS ROM (i can do it using NDSTool)
2. Locate the Script (done using CrystalTile or some software like that)
3. Dump the Script to text file (How?)
4. Translate the Script
5. Redump the text file to NDS script file (How?)
6. Pack the NDS ROM with translated script (using NDSTool too?)

thanks...

azerty1

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
benhanks040888 said:
yeah, me too. I tried reading the documentation in the sticky thread, but it's way too unorganized, and i think most of the software mentioned in it are difficult to be found.

There are a couple of great translators in this forum like psycoblaster, noitora, throughhim, etc, and I wonder if you guys can teach us the simple way to translate a game. Just to change the text in the game is enough.

Tell me if the procedures here are correct :
4. Translate the Script

thanks...

Use dslazy. It unpacks a rom really nicely. Once you know what to look for, you can also use Nitroexplorer, which allows you to manipulate individual files.

Windhex looks prettier, in my opinion. Get the sjis.tbl, open it with windhex, open some promising sounding file in the NDS_UNPACK folder generated by the dslazy and take a quick look in there. if you can't find anything, then pick another file. you might also want to try looking through the entire rom first, just to make sure the game uses the right table. THere may be compression, it's usually LZ77, for which you can use Darthnemesis' BatchLZ77, but if you still can't find any text, you should probably just post here and ask for some help, I guess.

Windhex can apply a table to a file and then dump it to a .txt file. That could work, or you could code a text extractor. or use Thingy...this one, i'm not too sure about since I always just write extractors. I'm sure there's another way to apply tables to stuff.

4. Translate the Script
without google translate.

this is the hard part, in my opinion. You need to make sure you know HOW the game outputs the text. Generally, games make sure they know where the text is and how long each line is. In a translation, you change those things, usually, so you need to be able to change those bytes. Manually or with a program.
the dslazy does that for you too.

suruz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
metalgearoholic said:
What are the text files formats where are they??

You have to look around yourself to find which files contain text. DS Roms are usually organized pretty well though, so they will all usually be in one folder. If you're lucky, it might be called text.. or maybe something else. If you've found a file you think contains text, look through it using CrystalTile2 or a hex editor to see if it contains any. (And dont forget to set CT2 to the right mode if the game is japanese)

Dark^'^Knigh

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I've got my suspicions about who the OP might be
ph34r.gif
Joined immediately after being banned and has already generated 3 threads about varying translation reqests/topics...and in a very demanding and "nooby" dialect (which caused him much angst and stress in his threads).
I just have a gut feel he is now having a "lend" and/or taking the piss out of everoyne here.

metalgearoholic

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark^'^Knight said:
I've got my suspicions about who the OP might be
ph34r.gif
Joined immediately after being banned and has already generated 3 threads about varying translation reqests/topics...and in a very demanding and "nooby" dialect (which caused him much angst and stress in his threads).
I just have a gut feel he is now having a "lend" and/or taking the piss out of everoyne here.

Excuse me I didn't get that are you talking about me? or whom exactly?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCYyXcb_pJk Lol spiderman dong