taskeng.exe keeps replicating in vista :S

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by da_head, Apr 18, 2009.

Apr 18, 2009
  1. da_head
    OP

Member da_head A dying dream..

Canada
    my os is vista home premium 64 bit. sometimes (i'm not doing anything in particular), i feel that the computer is starting to slow down. so i open up task manager, and instead of using its usual 1.4gb of ram (or so), its instead using 2gb! so i checked the processes, and nothing big was running. however, i saw that taskeng.exe duplicated itself about 50 times, and whenever the computer is running normally, there's only 1 of em (i think).

after doing some research, people suggested i disable it. something to do with a task scheduler? however, i wasn't able to. plus people said this is a very important function and not to disable it. as far as i can tell, this isn't caused by a virus, and i did a scan just in case. any thoughts? perhaps its vista screwing up with a particular program or something?

Warning: Spoilers inside!

2. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
  3. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i've already tried that. i know how to google thank u very much.
    when i open up task scheduler, i get this error:

Task Scheduler service is not available. Task scheduler will attempt to reconnect to it. and yes, i haven't disabled it or anything

4. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    Did you continue reading that whole link!?

Do you have/use RSS feeds if you do then that's your issue!

Try disable RSS feeds and see if the problem goes away [​IMG]

5. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i have no feeds and i sure as hell don't use IE

6. kjean

Member kjean GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Korea, South
  7. B-Blue

Member B-Blue im a slut

does it happen when you're in safe mode?

8. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i already told you, i can't access task scheduler. maybe i need to fix that first.

EDIT: ok, i'm not sure if this is related but a few months ago, when i installed a cracked halo 2, i had to replace my mf.dll file. ever since then, whenever i turn on my computer, i get this error message:windows media player network sharing service stopped working and was closed

and whenever i try running a few window based programs (such as media player), i get this message: media foundation protected pipeline exe has stopped working.

i'm quite certain that this is why task scheduler doesn't work. i googled both of these problems, but their solutions had to do with updating drivers for things i didn't have, and nothing to do with the mf.dll file. but these problems specifically arose when i changed that file, so i'm sure that's the cause.

i even tried replacing my modified my mf.dll with clean ones (from m$ and my friend's computer) but that didn't help.

any suggestions?

9. da_head
    OP

Canada
    bumped for great justice

10. kobykaan

Member kobykaan GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom

you kinda answered your own problem here when you was asking for the mf.dll file ... you just need to put it back ... the hack of halo caused this as you overwrote it with a different version to the one you had before [​IMG]

another tip is if your using the DFX plugin for WMP or WINAMP disable it and see if that resolves the issue when loading WMP [​IMG]

but .... best advice is to replace the dll file from the same version of windows + service pack that you are currently using [​IMG]

11. da_head
    OP

Canada
    i already tried replacing it! it made no difference
    i dled a few online, and one from my friend (that has the exact same version of vista, and is also updated), and it made no difference :S