task manager only showing 2 cores on quad core cpu

worm28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi im having a bit of a problem task manager is only showing 2 cores on my quad core cpu i have tried everything i can think of like going to msconfig/boot/advanced options and setting the number of processers to 4, I also looked at it under speccy and it shows 4 cores in use i think. i really hope someone can help me. Here are my screenshots
UlDGx4V.png
RrS8TZe.png

Last edited by worm28,

worm28

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys it had me wondering why on taskmanager it only says 2 cores shouldnt it say 4 cores but i dont know shit about computers so thanks a lot im glad to know its working correctly.

Last edited by worm28,

Elizabethx90

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is hyperthreading, you don't have 4 actual cores. Two physical cores and 4 logical ones.
That's AMD, it doesn't have hyperthreading. The AMD FX 770K is quad core, and doesn't have SMT, since SMT(AMD equivalent of hyperthreading) will come out starting with Zen. The reason why task manager is showing 2 is probably some stupid crap how windows detects them.

Last edited by Elizabethx90,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
That's AMD, it doesn't have hyperthreading. The AMD FX 770K is quad core, and doesn't have SMT, since SMT(AMD equivalent of hyperthreading) will come out starting with Zen. The reason why task manager is showing 2 is probably some stupid crap how windows detects them.
It doesn't? Huh. I did see it was AMD, and I did figure it was weird, but oh well, I figured it had to be hyperthreading.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
It doesn't? Huh. I did see it was AMD, and I did figure it was weird, but oh well, I figured it had to be hyperthreading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: ❄️ 😡 ❄️