Tales of Phantasia (SFC) - Getting Technical Ring

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am playing the English patched version of Tales of Phantasia off of my sd2snes. In the game, there are multiple schemes for controlling your character. The one I want to use is "Manual" mode so that I have full control, but in the game this requires you to get an item called the "Technical Ring," which isn't available until the second to last dungeon of something like that.

Does anyone know of a cheat code or a save game editor that I can use to unlock manual mode earlier in the game? Using any other control scheme is extremely frustrating.

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I am playing the English patched version of Tales of Phantasia off of my sd2snes. In the game, there are multiple schemes for controlling your character. The one I want to use is "Manual" mode so that I have full control, but in the game this requires you to get an item called the "Technical Ring," which isn't available until the second to last dungeon of something like that.

Does anyone know of a cheat code or a save game editor that I can use to unlock manual mode earlier in the game? Using any other control scheme is extremely frustrating.
A quick Google search led me to something called Tales of Phantasia Editor, from all the way back in 2001. I don't know if I can directly link to it here, but it's not hard to find. However, it's for ZSNES saves. I have no idea if a save file from SD2SNES will be the same format or easily convertible.

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A quick Google search led me to something called Tales of Phantasia Editor, from all the way back in 2001. I don't know if I can directly link to it here, but it's not hard to find. However, it's for ZSNES saves. I have no idea if a save file from SD2SNES will be the same format or easily convertible.

It is not, unfortunately

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It is not, unfortunately
I just saw that the editor is for savestates. Perhaps you can find some way to load the save in ZSNES, make a savestate, edit it, load it back to ZSNES, and save. If the save formats aren't the same, at least they should be possible to convert. It's a bit of work, but it shouldn't be impossible

PityOnU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just saw that the editor is for savestates. Perhaps you can find some way to load the save in ZSNES, make a savestate, edit it, load it back to ZSNES, and save. If the save formats aren't the same, at least they should be possible to convert. It's a bit of work, but it shouldn't be impossible

This is what I was thinking. However, it seems the English patch also enables the "Manual" mode by default, so no worries after all.

Reactions: Shady Guy Jose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E