Tablet windows/android or ultrabook for emulation

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by Joydivision, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    Hello,
    I want to buy a very light combo (tablet+keyboard) or an ultrabook to have an all-in-one in my bagfor all days (surfing,videos,comics and emulation).
    I hesitate between a windows tablet (or ultrabook but il's more expensive) or an android tablet.
    I want to play older consoles (16-32-64 bits and perhaps gamecube and ps2 if it's possible).
    Which system'is better for you between android and windows 8?
    I hesitate between very small things like the toshiba click mini (intel atom 3735), the surface 3 or some others tablets with intel core M, the pro 3 i5 model or some ultrabooks or xperia z tablet or'else on android
    .I want a combo under 1,3 kgs.
    It s difficult on the web to find videos about emulation on intel core M.
    Thanks for your advices.

2. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    See, it all depends on how much you are willing to spend.

A chinese Intel Atom 3735F tablet with 2gigs of ram and internal memory of 16gb costs as low as $100 (ofc terrible battery life). Not to mention they also dual boot Android and Win8.1

They can handle 4K vids so emulation shouldn't be a problem.
    for eg Chuwi Vi8

Accordingly, there are tablets with Core M with 2k displays at ofcourse a higher price point.

Core M is just a newer cpu with a newer architecture with newer instruction sets. If anything, emulation should be better on them.

So the first step to determine what you should get would be to set a price point on how much you wanna shell.

3. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    Thank you for your answer.
    I have a budget of 800€ .It ´s the reason why i'm asking if the surface pro 3 or an ultrabook brings me a lot in matter of performances (in 128 bits emulation) compared to cheaper tablets

4. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    So, in terms of emulation, Android can do:
    - everything 16-bit and 32-bit
    - N64 to a certain extent and PSP almost flawlessly
    - has slightly better battery life (depends on the tablet)

Desktop Windows(also known as x86/x64 Windows, like the one found in the Surface Pro 3) can do:
    - everything 16-bit and 32-bit
    - N64 decently well(Project64 was updated recently, if I recall correctly) and PSP flawlessly
    - PS2 and Gamecube/Wii if the processor is strong enough (I believe the Surface Pro 3 should handle these at native res)

Portable Windows(like the one found in the regular Surface 3) can do:
    - pretty much nothing

I'd say pick up a Surface Pro 3 if you don't care for the battery that much (especially of you're going to emulate, which drains the battery for 2-3 hours) or get something like a Nexus 7/9 if you want something cheaper with better battery that isn't as capable.

If you ask me, seeing as you'll use the tablet purely for media consumption, I'd recommend an Android device, since it just does a better job.
    Windows tablets are meant for people who want to do work on the go (or play League/Dota 2 :P).

5. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    Many thanks for all your advices!
    that's what i thought about the intel core M found in the surface 3.(it's a great object but the processor seems to be poor)
    I've got in the past the nexus 7 (the first one) it was a great machine at this time.
    I was looking at the new xperia z tablet too on adroid.
    The great point on windows is that you can play too at independants games found on Steam.(draining the battery in emulation is not problem for me)

6. master801

master801 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    United States
    Android also has the Dolphin emulator.

7. ilman

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Well, if battery is no problem to you, your choice is either a tablet or an ultrabook...depends on whether you really want a touchscreen and/or an integrated keyboard. If I were you, I'd just search for the ultrabook with the best specs I can buy and call it a day.

And it runs way too slow on current hardware. Maybe in 2-3 years it will be viable, but now it's not even worth considering.

8. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    The ideal for me will be a convertible (to use in tablet and laptop mode) but it s really expensive.There is a model of ultrabook (the zenbook ux303 with a dedicated graphic cardh) who cost 800 euros and seems to be the best in this price range (processor,screen,weight)

For dolphin on android agree with you.Actually only the shield android TV is enough powerful to use it

9. ilman

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    Yup, that zenbook looks pretty good in terms of raw specs. After reading up on some reviews, I saw that the QHD version has a yellow tint, so be sure to get the 1080p one(having a lower-res display will also save some battery life). Also, consider getting an SSD for it, since an SSD on an ultrabook is very benefitial to an its performance and usage(quick boot-up, loads programs faster, breaks less easily).

10. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Only thing with a zenbook is it will struggle abit with some dolphin games and what due to the specs and heating

11. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    Yep il will take a look at this one and follow your precious advices.this type of laptop-ultrabook will be "more sure" for my needs than a pro surface 3 (and thenprice is not the same!)

12. raystriker

raystriker Alpha PC Builder

Dec 28, 2011
    India
    Bloomington
    Would you consider looking at Chinese tablets? Or are you only looking for branded ones

13. weatMod

weatMod GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    I am waiting for the Nvidia shield 2 with X1
    I still don't even own a tablet
    I was thinking about the shield but figure I may as well wait till the shield 2 tablet comes out

from what I hear it's speculated the shield 2 will retail for the same price as shield one and shield one will get a price drop

hopefully dolphin will run GC flawless on it

also I wonder if we will see another x1 tablet, so strange that we only see the shield tab using the K1 besides one other Chinese tablet, the mipad
    I wonder if we will also a Chinese X1
    funny enough he mipad I think is selling for more than the shield now
    also strange Nvidia had tegra 4 made by evga with the tegra note but they never made a K1 version

Last edited by weatMod, Jun 9, 2015
  14. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    The shield tab had k1 also nexus 9 does too

15. Joydivision
    OP

Joydivision Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2014
    France
    yes i would consider also chinese tablets like the cubei7 or else.i 've already a gpd Q9 for emulation.
    I hope the next tablets will integrate some good processors

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yep.This one have a "decent price" ( compared to some machines who cost more than 1200€).
    A model like this one is pretty decent for the price (the ideal is a good processor, a light weight for a on-the-go device)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Me too but we don't know the release date.It might be this year or in 2016 (i've already the 1st shield portable it's a very good device)

16. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    oh yeah I forgot about the nexus
    yes I know the shield has a K1, I said that
    I said it is strange that EVGA made the tegra note with a tegra 4, but we never saw another evga with a K1
    unless evga makes the shield for NVidia? but I thought it was made by NVidia itself but now i'm not sure

17. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    I think nvidia made the shield tab.
    The original shield tab was made by evga because nvidia licensed it to them (I think HP and dell also were in talks?) And HP made a version of the tn7 called the HP slate extreme and they have the same specs

18. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    For GC games, the only thing that's anywhere near fullspeed are Tegra K1/X1 devices, with X1 being the best, and the only device with X1 in it so far is the Shield Android TV, but there's a new Shield tablet in the works using that CPU.

Some gameplay on the Tegra K1:

I don't think there's a PS2 emulator for Android, and I don't know of any ultrabooks/windows tablets that are powerful enough to emulate GC/Wii. The problem is that while they are technically powerful enough, they use ULV CPUs so the performance is capped if power draw goes above the (very low) power rating of the CPU. My Surface Pro 3 gives me fullspeed in Dolphin for a few seconds or so, but then FPS drops severely and I'm pretty sure it's the power draw that's being capped as the temps don't get that high.
    PS2 should work pretty well on an Ultrabook or Windows tablet though (just not an Atom)

19. RevPokemon

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Generally it would be best with a i5 (not u and would be decent wish) or a i7(ideal) but either way cooling is a problem as ultra books have poor cooling generally

20. weatMod

Aug 24, 2013
    United States
    yup, this 1000 times this
    I have an I7 haswell ultrabook (4500u i think) ,with 8 gigs, ultrabooks are complete shit intel ultramobile is total crap
    if I knew it was such shit I would never have bought it

can't even run chrome on it without damn near burning my house down
    the battery life sucks shit too, not even 1/5 of what was promised
    i'm lucky if don't die in 45 min after being taken off AC

just the other day I had another problem, the POS will get up to like 130 degrees with almost nothing running
    so i was setting it on one of those reusable gel paks , cold packs you put in the freezer, it has some blue gel in it that don't freeze
    I have been doing this for a few months with no problems ...until a few days ago
    the fucking thing melted through the plastic and ruptured the fucking bag , blue gel all over my sheets and bottom of the ultrashitbook
    this thing is literally a fucking firehazard

Last edited by weatMod, Jun 9, 2015