Tablet Recommendation

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Prior22, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Prior22
    OP

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    My four plus year old Ipad mini is need of replacement and I'm looking for some tablet recommendations. I would just need it for app and web browsing, so I would prefer spending under 100 dollars if possible. Any good value based recommendations for a tablet that can be trusted for long term reliability? Thanks.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Amazon's Fire Tablets are probably your best bet I suppose, if you want cheap and long lasting. Not the greatest tablets in the world IMO, their specs are garbage and the newer ones are pretty firmly locked into FireOS so you're stuck with Amazon's App store. But if you want cheap and long lasting for just web browsing and an app or 10, that's probably your best bet unless you're fine buying used stuff.

There's also some of the cheaper Chinese ripoff tablets that can be decent, if they get user firmware support, but I can't name anything good that's $100 or less.

3. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    If I were to want to stream video via an app like MLB.TV would I need something with more spec power behind it?

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo G'nome

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    For streaming video, virtually any tablet you can find will work just fine for that, specs don't really matter there unless you want 4k whatever.

Prior22 likes this.
  5. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So is the only reason to buy a high dollar tablet, like a Galaxy, to get better specs for gaming? Just want to make sure if I'm only spending 40 dollars or so for a Fire Tablet that it's capable of providing 720p streaming with no buffering.

6. EmBlaze

EmBlaze GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2018
    Canada
    For most people IMO, it's better graphics, multitasking, performance/responsiveness, more storage, maybe camera and other improved hardware, etc. For your requirement, WiFi quality is most important.

I'd probably recommend the Kindle Fire as well, at least for well-known brands. Don't get one that's too old, performance may suffer and updates will cease. You'll probably want 5Ghz WiFi AC and at least 720p screen.

A simple Google search yield more info like this: https://www.androidcentral.com/which-android-tablets-should-you-buy-under-100

7. Prior22
    OP

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    So a new Kindle Fire is a safe bet to provide 720p streaming on any app with minimal chance of buffering? Would be great to get a tablet capable of doing that for under 50 dollars.

8. EmBlaze

EmBlaze GBAtemp Regular

Feb 25, 2018
    Canada
    Personally, I would get the Kindle Fire HD 8 for 1280x800 display and 1.5GB RAM.
    The smaller Kindle doesn't even have 720p display resolution, it's 1024x600 so you may not see best quality.
    Also it has 1GB RAM, which is 512MB less than the Fire HD 8. For only watching 720p video, it may be enough. But maybe not for web browsing with many tabs or even a few tabs of heavy websites.
    Lastly, there's the size of that thing. 7-inch tablets might as well be a big phone lol.

9. PanTheFaun

PanTheFaun The Uninspired Artist

GBAtemp Patron
    PanTheFaun is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    Amazon Fire 8 tablet is really nice!

10. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    The only tablet I recommend is nvidia shield so i guess no one should listen to me :ninja:

Better watch QVC or HSN for those sales. :P

PanTheFaun likes this.
  11. PanTheFaun

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    They really are great tablets but for under $100.00 it's great.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    That's why I said QVC & HSN :ninja:

PanTheFaun likes this.
  13. PanTheFaun

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2015
    United States
    Unknown
    Haha my bad. I wasn't familiar with the channels and such.