System Update Affecting Gateway Release?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mastermodr94, Dec 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastermodr94
    OP

mastermodr94 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    United States
    So with news of 9.3 looming I am just curious what happens if for some reason when nintendo attempts to fix Ninjhax and ends up causing the gateway to not work on 9.3 Does anyone think this will affect the release date of the new Gateway firmware. Personally I think that if the Gateway exploit is not patched on 9.3 they will release much later than if it gets patched. If their exploit is patched I would expect them to try to release almost immediately.

2. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    makes sense,

3. drwhojan

drwhojan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Where I Am!
    I think GW will stay with "9.2.0-20"

And quote

"Do not update beyond this version."

4. iNFiNiTY

iNFiNiTY GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 18, 2004
    Why do you think that, you don't have any idea and you're worried about a patch that doesn't exist yet? GW seemed to have had it known for a while possibly, it looks like they have things planned out... the entry point will probably be patched immediately and the kernel exploit was sometimes later, considering GW try and hide it so much.

9.3 will probably come first; i'm guessing some extra checks on certain old savegames, and a fix for whatever smea is exploiting to get further access. And probably a method to check for sky3ds. They might fix the GW issue before its even out (thats what happened originally with 5.0) but they seem to have added a lot to 3DS lately, there's a lot of extra firmware to go over and check.. every new feature they add is something they need to secure. After all this effort on updates it must suck to have this particular one now after the New3DS release.

5. Pestilence204

Pestilence204 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 15, 2014
    Canada
  6. Aman27deep

Aman27deep GBAtemp Fan

May 3, 2007
    India
    Calcutta.
    Nor is 9.3 out, neither is Gateway's support for 9.0 - 9.2, so whatever anyone says right now is pure speculation.

7. :-infern:

:-infern: GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2013
    United States
    Hopefully my import comes before 9.3 release so i can transfer my system and update to 9.2

8. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    im just going to play it safe and keep my main on 9.0.... :ph34r:

drwhojan likes this.
  9. Runehasa

Runehasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Ohio
    I hope gateway waits till the new 3ds hits the US shores. Would make the most sense from a sales stand pt

10. digipimp75

digipimp75 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2014
    United States
    I'm just going to keep mine on 4.5 :D But yeah, for anybody with 9.0-9.2, for the love of God, stay there until more is known!!

11. TheDutchman

TheDutchman GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Netherlands
    absolutely not, those with a 3DS (XL) beyond 4.5 have been hoping for a card forever.
    Like me, i HAD a 4.5 3DS unit, but back then there was no sign of a working flashcard, then Mario/Luigi Dream Team Bros came out that forced new FW in order to play.. i still resent myself for not beiing able to wait. And now finally current FW support is (nearly) ready for release

the market of regular 3DS units is way bigger then any potential N3DS market.
    Only a very small amount of people that have a regular 3DS see any reason to upgrade to the N3DS. there are no games (cept c stick / amiibo in smash) that make use of N3DS functions.
    Get gateway now worry about potential new FW on N3DS later. and if you really cant wait just import them from JPN/AUS

12. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Yes, no, maybe.
    Who can tell?
    I'm just gonna sit tight and hope they release soon.

13. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    im ready, bring it gateway :)

14. Runehasa

Runehasa GBAtemp Regular

Oct 12, 2007
    United States
    Ohio

You do realize Japan has already stopped producing XLs and is now only making New 3DS LLs. Alot of people including myself will be exchanging their old 3ds for the new ones or are holding off on even buying a 3ds now as to not buy last generation hardware when the new one is months away. From a Gateway sales stand pt it would be stupid to release now and potentially ruin all chance of it working on the US model by jumping the gun. Course this is the opinion coming from a 4.5 owner

15. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tonga
    yes but what hes saying is, how many 3ds's are out in the wild that are on firmware 4.6 > 9.2...... ALOT and that means alot of sold gateway cards. ££££$$$£

16. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.