Homebrew System Transfer woes

Zaulism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read a guide or anything before attempting a system transfer, which was a mistake. What I did:

• Backup SD card
  • Put SD card in new 3ds, perform a system transfer (3ds system options, wireless transfer, whoops.)
  • Setup the new 3ds some
  • Hack the 3ds, installing Godmode9, Luma, boot9strap, checkpoint, FBI, rosalina... the standard stuff from the guide
  • Couldn't find titles, googled a bit and discovered faketik.3ds. I put it in my 3ds folder, and ran it from homebrew. My titles such as Ultra Sun, X, Alpha Sapphire, a couple rom hacks, appear (ultra sun, X, alpha sapphire are legitimate, installed directly from a game cart.
  • Everything works ... except:
Checkpoint isn't seeing these titles anymore. What is the course of action I should take? Do I need to uninstall the games and reinstall from game carts/cias or is there a easy solution that I can do (something like writing the titles to system memory??) I found a guide for this after the fact that do this, so of course, those don't help in my current situation. I do have a backup of the SD card...

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I didn't read a guide or anything before attempting a system transfer, which was a mistake. What I did:

• Backup SD card
  • Put SD card in new 3ds, perform a system transfer (3ds system options, wireless transfer, whoops.)
  • Setup the new 3ds some
  • Hack the 3ds, installing Godmode9, Luma, boot9strap, checkpoint, FBI, rosalina... the standard stuff from the guide
  • Couldn't find titles, googled a bit and discovered faketik.3ds. I put it in my 3ds folder, and ran it from homebrew. My titles such as Ultra Sun, X, Alpha Sapphire, a couple rom hacks, appear (ultra sun, X, alpha sapphire are legitimate, installed directly from a game cart.
  • Everything works ... except:
Checkpoint isn't seeing these titles anymore. What is the course of action I should take? Do I need to uninstall the games and reinstall from game carts/cias or is there a easy solution that I can do (something like writing the titles to system memory??) I found a guide for this after the fact that do this, so of course, those don't help in my current situation. I do have a backup of the SD card...
You could look at refreshing the checkpoint game list first to see if that brings up the games you're missing

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Zaulism

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, that option is not listed in the 'Hold SELECT to see commands.'

I seen from another post from you, just now "press and hold B while in checkpoint to reload and refresh the games list. Aswell, the codes may or may not work, depending on a few things. if it dont, then you may want to look elsewhere to get codes."

That did the trick. Thank you!

Bert519

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don’t know if this is where I should ask this but

I’m considering buying my nephew a 2DS/3DS. Is there a way I can transfer just 3DS games from my current one on CFW to another one with CFW? I just don’t want to have to download them on the DS for my nephew because of how slow the downloads are so I was wonder if there a way to transfer games on pc. Like if I just copy the games cia file or whatever it is will it work on another DS ?

If this is a dumb question , sorry I’m kinda new to CFW of 3DS

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I’m considering buying my nephew a 2DS/3DS. Is there a way I can transfer just 3DS games from my current one on CFW to another one with CFW? I just don’t want to have to download them on the DS for my nephew because of how slow the downloads are so I was wonder if there a way to transfer games on pc. Like if I just copy the games cia file or whatever it is will it work on another DS ?

If this is a dumb question , sorry I’m kinda new to CFW of 3DS
No. You are still going to have to either reinstall for the first console. or dump the roms and install to the new console.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way I can transfer just 3DS games from my current one on CFW to another one with CFW? I just don’t want to have to download them on the DS for my nephew because of how slow the downloads are so I was wonder if there a way to transfer games on pc. Like if I just copy the games cia file or whatever it is will it work on another DS ?
Yes, it's easy if both systems have cfw. You just either install the cia files on the new system (if you still have them on your sd card), or if not, you need to dump those installed games (legitimate or not) with GodMode9, to get cia files so you can install them on the newly bought 3ds.
Either way no need for a system transfer..

Bert519

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok so if I downloaded games through fbi on my 3DS after they installed the cia file probably deletes right ?

So from what I understand, the games I downloaded and installed through fbi there isn’t just a file that will be on my current SD card that I could just copy and paste to new SD card for my nephew. I have to use godmode9 to make the installed game back into a cia file and copy that to new sd card and install it from there on my nephews console, correct ?

Sorry again , very new to CFW and want to learn some because I also would like to get my niece one so having to download them both games again through fbi on 3DS would take forever cause it’s so slow lol

Also , Thank you very much for helping, much appreciated 🙏

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so if I downloaded games through fbi on my 3DS after they installed the cia file probably deletes right ?
You don't download games (cia files) from FBI, you install said cia files (games) with it.
So from what I understand, the games I downloaded and installed through fbi there isn’t just a file that will be on my current SD card that I could just copy and paste to new SD card for my nephew.
If you still have them (cia files) on your sd card or your pc, yes, just copy /paste them and install them with fbi. Otherwise you'd need to either dump them or re-download them.
I have to use godmode9 to make the installed game back into a cia file and copy that to new sd card and install it from there on my nephews console, correct ?
Read above.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You really should have started a new thread rather than bumping a completely unrelated one from ten months ago. But too late now.

Regardless, instead of using FBI, you can use custom-install to (mostly) install a .cia from a PC.
https://github.com/ihaveamac/custom-install

You can also use cartinstall (which is built into the latest version of godmode9) to install a cartridge game to the SD card.

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)