System transfer between hacked 3DSes, how to keep "non-legit" titles?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by JasonPK92, Jul 9, 2017.

1. JasonPK92
    OP

JasonPK92 DQ Fan Translator

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So, when system transferring, it's known that all "non-legit" titles/themes/DLC/whatever don't make the trip across. At this point most of my stuff is non-legit, having ripped physical games, downloaded themes, and injected custom VC more times than I can possibly count. If one is going from a hacked 3DS to another hacked 3DS, is there any way to avoid having to reinstall everything? Like backing up the titlekeys/tickets on the source 3DS and then restoring the respective files on the target 3DS? Anything like that? I can't seem to find any real information about it that isn't vague or just says you're SOL.

2. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Backup your nand, transfer, then restore.

EDIT: Oh, you mean transfering them too. IDK then.

Last edited by osm70, Jul 9, 2017
  3. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Well, would there be an issue with backing up the NAND on my source 3DS, restoring the NAND backup on the target 3DS, and then simply putting the microSD card in the target 3DS? I don't have to use Nintendo's system transfer if there's another way to "clone" my 3DS to another one. My current 3DS is having hardware issues so I need to get everything to a new 3DS. I don't really care about being able to use my current 3DS once everything is over on a new one.

Last edited by JasonPK92, Jul 9, 2017
  4. HugaTheFox

HugaTheFox GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    Back up the tickets then restore them later. (Make sure the back up the Nintendo 3DS Folder before too)

JasonPK92 and Quantumcat like this.
  5. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    If you restore the NAND of a one console on another, it will brick. Do what HugaTheFox said, or you can use TikShop instead. The titles actually do get transferred, just the tickets don't (the tickets are what allow the title to show up in the home menu).

6. HugaTheFox

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    I was trying to find that video from Phineas and Ferb where it said Brick Brick Brick... ITS FUN

Zhongtiao1 likes this.
  7. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Okay, that should be perfect then. And that's what I thought. The system transfer doesn't erase the data off the SD card, but it takes away your "ownership" (tickets) of anything illegitimate.

I think I've already done it successfully, but just to be extra sure; to back up my tickets, I just go into Decrypt9, Ticket/Titlekey options, and select Ticket Dump?

It's not the 3DS games I'm the most worried about, it's all the custom VC stuff that I can't simply redownload from the eShop servers. But if I restore the tickets backup then all that should be fine.

Last edited by JasonPK92, Jul 10, 2017
  8. HugaTheFox

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    1. Navigate to [1:] SYSNAND CTRNAND -> dbs
    2. Press (A) on ticket.dbs to select it, then select “Ticket.db options…”, then select “Mount image to drive”
    3. If it exists, hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on eshop to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9out”
      • This process may take some time if you have many tickets
      • Once it has completed, press (A) to continue
    4. If it exists, hold (R) and press (A) at the same time on unknown to select the folder, then select “Copy to 0:/gm9out”
      • This process may take some time if you have many tickets
      • Once it has completed, press (A) to continue

Quantumcat and JasonPK92 like this.
  9. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, that's using GodMode9. I'll do that too to be extra careful, then.

10. HugaTheFox

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    You can do both, to be safe

JasonPK92 likes this.
  11. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Thank you very much for the help!

12. HugaTheFox

Feb 11, 2017
    United States
    Las Vegas
    No problem thats what we are here for.

JasonPK92 likes this.
  13. Zidapi

Zidapi GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 1, 2002
    It's recommended to use GodMode9 these days, decrypt9 is no longer being actively worked on.

Here's a guide for the most commonly used features.
    https://3ds.guide/godmode9-usage

14. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So... how do I import the tickets after doing the system transfer? I'm fiddling around in GodMode9, but I'm unable to copy anything into the folders inside ticket.db while it's mounted, so I'm kinda unsure where I'm supposed to put all the .tik files I dumped.

15. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Backup the tickets on your host system
    Create a NAND backup and an SD card backup
    Preform system transfer using PC option
    Swap SD card from old system to new system.
    On the new system, use FBI to restore previous tickets. Some won't be restored.
    Go into system settings and find all the games that didn't restore and make note of them before deleting them. Redownload all the games that didn't restore
    Use host system for reference and also to dump the saves of all the games that didn't restore properly.
    Restore saves on new system
    These are the steps I did when I went from my old3DS to my new3DS

JasonPK92 and HugaTheFox like this.
  16. JasonPK92
    OP

May 16, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Thank you very much! I was able to find assistance last night and got basically the same instructions. Restoring Decrypt9 ticket backups and GodMode9 ticket backups via FBI, and by using TikShop, I was able to restore almost everything. Only a few custom VC titles didn't get restored, but that's way better than nothing.

HugaTheFox and Quantumcat like this.