Hacking sys-hidplus-client-rs - An alternative client for sys-hidplus

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, this release was actually done two days ago, but it took a bit since I was holding off updating my Switch firmware and Atmosphere. Plus, I wanted to take some time to test that everything worked on a basic level before publishing it. That said, it's done and should be fully compatible with 13.0.0 (unless I missed something).

Link: https://github.com/kenesu-h/sys-hidplus/releases/tag/1.3-alpha.0

I'm not too familiar with the sysmodule side of things, but if anyone's using older versions of the Switch firmware, this probably won't work on them, so I strongly recommend updating.

Reactions: BurningScarlett

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I created an account on GBATemp just to say thank you for this ! This is actually really awesome and usefull. Congrats to you and the creators of the original software ! (and excuse my bad english please)

Last edited by Sylx3,
Reactions: kenesu_h

Shaddap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huge thanks for this, it works great! Just one question.

Is it possible to change controllers from Pro Controllers to single joycons? I'd like to be able to play Clubhouse Games but it won't allow usage of Pro Controllers. I know the original had the option to use single joycons, so I was wondering if this can be added in to your client as well. Thanks again!

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huge thanks for this, it works great! Just one question.

Is it possible to change controllers from Pro Controllers to single joycons? I'd like to be able to play Clubhouse Games but it won't allow usage of Pro Controllers. I know the original had the option to use single joycons, so I was wondering if this can be added in to your client as well. Thanks again!
Yep it is. I didn't add the single joy-con options to the GUI version of the client since the Rust GUI library I use doesn't support dropdown menus yet (or anything else along those lines), but it's still technically there.

One of the things you could do is open config.toml with a text editor and check out the "switch_pads" section. It should be in the same folder as the client executable. There, you can replace 'ProController' with 'JoyConLSide' or 'JoyConRSide' for the respective controller slots (the single-quotes and capitalization matter). You can open the client back up after you save those changes. I can clarify this a bit more if I worded this confusingly.

I don't have Clubhouse Games though so I personally can't test if the emulated joy-cons work fine for it. As far as I know the implementation is basically the same as the original, but things might be wonky here and there. Let me know how it goes and if you've got any more questions!

Reactions: Shaddap

Shaddap

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep it is. I didn't add the single joy-con options to the GUI version of the client since the Rust GUI library I use doesn't support dropdown menus yet (or anything else along those lines), but it's still technically there.

One of the things you could do is open config.toml with a text editor and check out the "switch_pads" section. It should be in the same folder as the client executable. There, you can replace 'ProController' with 'JoyConLSide' or 'JoyConRSide' for the respective controller slots (the single-quotes and capitalization matter). You can open the client back up after you save those changes. I can clarify this a bit more if I worded this confusingly.

I don't have Clubhouse Games though so I personally can't test if the emulated joy-cons work fine for it. As far as I know the implementation is basically the same as the original, but things might be wonky here and there. Let me know how it goes and if you've got any more questions!
Worked like a charm! I had taken a look at config.toml but I wasn't sure exactly what I should replace "ProController" with, so I figured I'd drop by your topic to ask you directly. The controllers did show up as the left and right joycons respectively but I quickly realized that Clubhouse Games is kinda...lame. lol Amusingly, you have to hold your controller (friend and I are using Dualshock 4's) sideways, as the analog directions are rotated 90 degrees for the menu and in some games in Clubhouse Games. Not a major issue, as we didn't really enjoy the games offered as much as we would've liked but it's nice to know that we have the option to try out forced single joycon-per-player games.

Thanks again!

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Worked like a charm! I had taken a look at config.toml but I wasn't sure exactly what I should replace "ProController" with, so I figured I'd drop by your topic to ask you directly. The controllers did show up as the left and right joycons respectively but I quickly realized that Clubhouse Games is kinda...lame. lol Amusingly, you have to hold your controller (friend and I are using Dualshock 4's) sideways, as the analog directions are rotated 90 degrees for the menu and in some games in Clubhouse Games. Not a major issue, as we didn't really enjoy the games offered as much as we would've liked but it's nice to know that we have the option to try out forced single joycon-per-player games.

Thanks again!
Of course! Even if it's not a major issue though, I'm pretty interested in correcting that analog behavior for joy-cons. I may or may not take some time soon to work that out.

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Does anyone know if the sys module updated for 13.0 works also with 13.1 and atmo 1.2.4 ?
Edit : Nevermind, got the info, it works :)

Last edited by Sylx3,

SHRetro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who actively uses Input Redirection on multiple 3DSes at once for Shiny Hunting, would there be a way to use multiple instances at once since this allows the use of the Home Button. I don't have a 2nd Switch right now but I am considering getting another one soon, so this would be useful to allow Soft Resets with a single controller that's not the wavebird.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who actively uses Input Redirection on multiple 3DSes at once for Shiny Hunting, would there be a way to use multiple instances at once since this allows the use of the Home Button. I don't have a 2nd Switch right now but I am considering getting another one soon, so this would be useful to allow Soft Resets with a single controller that's not the wavebird.
Hey there, this is a pretty good question. Assuming you're referring to running multiple clients on a single computer, this currently isn't possible, but I think this could be changed without too many issues - whenever I have free time anyway, which is unfortunately pretty scarce right now.

I'll probably make a quick post here when I get to it. Maybe within the next week?

SHRetro

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there, this is a pretty good question. Assuming you're referring to running multiple clients on a single computer, this currently isn't possible, but I think this could be changed without too many issues - whenever I have free time anyway, which is unfortunately pretty scarce right now.

I'll probably make a quick post here when I get to it. Maybe within the next week?
Yeah multiple clients on the same computer. It's already possible with Wavebirds + multiple GBros Adapters but that's like 100+ USD excluding the 2nd Switch and the Multiviewer, so a custom firmware way is best.

KaedesPiano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I made an account just to comment on this software cause it's really amazing stuff, I'm able to co-op Luigi's Mansion 3 with a friend of mine who lives miles away from me, it's incredible!

Something I've noticed while using the software though, the "Controllers" menu on the Switch takes a few seconds longer to load and I was wondering if that was because of the sys-module and if it only effects that area of the OS and not load times for let's say a speedrun for example.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I made an account just to comment on this software cause it's really amazing stuff, I'm able to co-op Luigi's Mansion 3 with a friend of mine who lives miles away from me, it's incredible!

Something I've noticed while using the software though, the "Controllers" menu on the Switch takes a few seconds longer to load and I was wondering if that was because of the sys-module and if it only effects that area of the OS and not load times for let's say a speedrun for example.
I'm not too much of an expert on this area since I've personally tested this fork only with Smash Ultimate. I haven't had the chance to try it with other games, nor have I been able to check it out with the Controllers menu. That said, there wasn't any noticeable change with Smash loading times (no mods) in my experience, but unless someone does some in-depth testing, we won't know for sure. Sorry I can't really answer your question. I personally think that it shouldn't affect game loading times by much (if any), and that, without getting too technical, it should have no effect on anything other than the Controllers menu. However, this is only a guess based on what I know working with this project, which isn't an overwhelming amount.

Someone needs to edit this to be a TAS tool.... >.>
I was actually thinking about implementing this. I'm busy with college right now, so I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get this done. I'm totally fine with it if someone manages to implement this before I do though.

Reactions: KaedesPiano

Sylx3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm not too much of an expert on this area since I've personally tested this fork only with Smash Ultimate. I haven't had the chance to try it with other games, nor have I been able to check it out with the Controllers menu. That said, there wasn't any noticeable change with Smash loading times (no mods) in my experience, but unless someone does some in-depth testing, we won't know for sure. Sorry I can't really answer your question. I personally think that it shouldn't affect game loading times by much (if any), and that, without getting too technical, it should have no effect on anything other than the Controllers menu. However, this is only a guess based on what I know working with this project, which isn't an overwhelming amount.

I was actually thinking about implementing this. I'm busy with college right now, so I can't guarantee when I'll be able to get this done. I'm totally fine with it if someone manages to implement this before I do though.
I don't know if my experience can be usefull but I used your software for a good amount of time now, tested it with a great number of people, some who don't live in the same continent as me, and I didn't noticed any slowdown.

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has this been tested on 14.0 to work? I wanna make sure before I update my emuMMC
This hasn't been tested (yet). It looks like a number of sysmodules broke and one of the underlying libraries hasn't explicitly been updated for FW 14.x. Tesla does have reports of working in the latest FW, but those are kind of inconsistent.

For now, assume that this has a decent chance of being broken. I don't use my emuNAND that much nowadays though, so I could definitely take one for the team and see what happens lol

edit: a word

Last edited by kenesu_h,
Reactions: Bricked

kenesu_h

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated to FW 14.1.0 and Atmosphere 1.3.1 and can confirm it works fine. Hopefully there aren't any unforeseen problems, but a brief session in Smash didn't seem to cause any issues. Either way, while it seems to work okay like usual, update at your own discretion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: or well somewhat