SX Pro dongle vs installing it internally vs trinket m0?

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by EvanVanVan, Aug 11, 2018.

1. EvanVanVan
    OP

EvanVanVan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    I bought a SX Pro dongle, now I'm wondering if I would prefer an internal install rather than needing to keep the dongle handy (and possibly SOL if it's not).

I found one video/diagram on installing the sx pro internally, but it doesn't seem like that popular of a solution. Any advice on whether I should do that, or just grab the license file and use it with a trinket m0 internal install?

Also what are the differences between the trinket m0 vs the gemma m0? Any reason to use one over the other?

Thank you

2. electronrancher

electronrancher GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2018
    United States
    I think that internal is a little riskier from a detection standpoint, and the install is not trivial. If you don't want to mess with disassembling and soldering inside your switch, go external. See Canna's thread about DIY builds using trinket, or my thread about a little loader dongle that I sell.

EvanVanVan likes this.
  3. EvanVanVan
    OP

EvanVanVan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    I'm not too concerned about detection. Once I mod it I'll probably leave it keep it offline and just get a second Switch if necessary. I'm more concerned about losing or forgetting the dongle, and I don't use my switch that often so I usually power it off when it's not docked. Plus, I have fun soldering since I rarely get the chance to do it lol.

Will look at those threads, thank you. Basically I'm wondering between the sx, trinket and gemma, any guesses on which is going to get the best developer support long term?

4. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Developer support comes from the switch community, the trinket support is already far enough that it wouldn't matter if no one ever updated it again. All major issues have been resolved and you can flash whatever payload you desire. I've done several trinket installs and they can definitely be tricky due to how small the points are. The usb points are especially tricky as any bridging can RIP your system for good.

So be sure to use a multimeter and verify none of the points are bridged before powering up the device.

I don't think there is any advantage of the gemma over the trinket. You should buy whichever one is cheaper. I've found the trinket to be cheaper usually, but the price flucuates widely on amazon. Right now its $1 cheaper than the gemma.

EvanVanVan likes this.
  5. EvanVanVan
    OP

EvanVanVan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    Perfect, thank you for the information. Yeah, I guess I'll see how things go with the dongle for a while, then make a decision.

Thanks!

Edit (5 minutes later): Annndddd I search how to put something on the sd card, and realize I have to power off the switch and pull out the dongle again. Yeah, this dongle situation isn't going to last very long! haha

Last edited by EvanVanVan, Aug 11, 2018
  6. iriez

iriez GBAtemp Fan

Oct 27, 2016
    United States
    Yes, I personally hate the dongle method and the day the trinket install was available I was ordering it to do it. Much cleaner to do the internal install.

Just be sure that you pickup some 32-38 awg magnet wire or 30 awg insulated wire. I've used both and prefer the 30awg insulated wire as even though magnet wire is enamel coated, heat can remove that layer pretty easily and with how small/tight these enclosures are its *very* easy to accidentally ground/bridge magnet wire. I literally lost a switch to this situation, RIP. So be very careful. Only attempt to do the internal install if you have reasonable experience soldering and steady hands. You'll 100% need a fine tip soldering iron too.

30awg wire i use, which is also great to have color coated that way you can just solder green/yellow/red and then put the shield back on and not worry about it.

https://www.amazon.com/StrivedayTM-...TF8&qid=1534018914&sr=8-3&keywords=30awg+wire

do the method 1 install and setup autorcm. Don't screw with the autocrm wires there is no need for it. method 2/3 are really unneccessary and only puts your switch at risk for no benefit that I can see.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/internal-modchip-trinket-m0-gemma-m0-guide-and-files.508068/

Last edited by iriez, Aug 11, 2018
    EvanVanVan likes this.
  7. EvanVanVan
    OP

EvanVanVan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    Sounds good, thanks for the amazon link. I'm proficient enough at soldering that even when I get myself in trouble usually I can get out of it lol

Last edited by EvanVanVan, Aug 11, 2018
  8. badman112

badman112 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2008
    Im looking into this now i have taken apart my switch and SX pro.... the communication point to solder looks like 3 wires but i will be testing this out.
    Probably might need a power source to. In any case auto rcm will be a problem as it has bricked things in the past. Just gotta wait when rcm is not needed.

The sx pro board can easily be placed near on top of the heat sink.

EvanVanVan likes this.
  9. Xandroz

Xandroz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 19, 2018
    Egypt
    id go for the install once the caps fail honesty its pretty much the same as the trinket.

EvanVanVan likes this.
  10. EvanVanVan
    OP

EvanVanVan Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2018
    United States
    I'm assuming you've seen these,
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/sx-pro-internal-install.510549/
    https://imgur.com/a/JLUm4uV

You mean the internal sx install? I did see you posted on that other thread, hard to miss the avatar lol.

Xandroz and badman112 like this.
  11. invaderyoyo

invaderyoyo invader

Mar 17, 2014
    United States
    Southern California
    If you can solder, definitely go for the internal install. It's really convenient and I couldn't be happier. I've installed it on mine and my friend's Switches and it's really not that bad. If you've ever installed a modbo on a PS2, know that this is a lot easier.

badman112 and EvanVanVan like this.
  12. badman112

badman112 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2008
  13. 3DS4FUN
    This message by 3DS4FUN has been removed from public view by Quantumcat, Jan 18, 2019, Reason: Requested.
    Jan 18, 2019