SX pro ban risk =/= offline

Discussion in 'Switch - Backup Loaders & Modchips' started by aofelix, Jul 13, 2018.

1. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    Hey,

I'm planning to buy an SX Pro to demo and probably play single player games like South Park, etc.

I still want to play legit games bought from a store on my Switch (Tennis, Smash). Is this possible or will I still get banned because I've played other titles on the SX Pro?

2. c80

c80 Banned

Banned
    Jun 1, 2018
    Germany
    possible to get banned

3. Deathscreton

Deathscreton GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 1, 2009
    United States
    You're running software that allows you to pirate games on your Switch. There is ALWAYS a possibility you will be banned. Unfortunately, we can only try to mitigate the risk.

Wrathcaster likes this.
  4. rwn

rwn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2010
    United States
    cali...
    The best option will be to pick up a second switch. One for backups and one for online. You can pick up a tablet only on eBay for about $180

5. aofelix
    OP

aofelix GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 21, 2013
    yeah i think long term, waiting for switch hardware rev 2.0 then using 1.0 switch as backup loader is probably the way to go.

6. Wrathcaster

Wrathcaster GBAtemp Regular

Jun 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Don't think we will ever get a 100% answer to that, but I have kept my switch offline for now but been tempted then back out scared a few times to boot into OFW to play my legitimate Mario Kart online.

7. Kukielka

Kukielka GBAtemp Regular

Jul 11, 2018
    Germany
    If you're scared of a ban, then wait for EmuNand. Everything that is outside the boundries of the official firmware is ban-able.

8. JupiterJesus

JupiterJesus Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    United States
    I went with the ebay tablet approach, and got a low firmware switch to boot! Plus, it was actually in *better* condition than my main switch! Wait for a 15% off ebay coupon (every week or two, works on almost everything in the store).

The downside to this is that I wanted to hack originally to dump all my carts and avoid having to swap carts all the time. Obv I can't do that on my second switch unless I update that to a newer fw *and* make it my main switch and find a way to xfer my saves (so have to hack my main switch)... all of that defeats the point of having a second switch, so I'll just keep cartridge swapping I guess.

Before anyone says to buy digital - carts are cheaper (BB GCU 20% off and $10 preorder bonuses), come with their own memory card so don't waste space on yours, and can be easily swapped among me and my 3 kids, who are all switch obsessed. I foresee more switches in my future for all these buttheads. I probably won't ever resell my carts, but I could if I wanted to, which lowers the effective price even further. Those advantages outweigh (for me) not having to swap carts, so I put up with the small inconvenience. I only complain because it is easy to ignore a game when it isn't right there in front of you, in favor of one that is, so some games can end up languishing just because I don't want to go downstairs and grab the case.

9. Rel

Rel GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2018
    United States
    Yep this is the same thing I did and recommended, get a second Switch tablet on eBay when there's 15% everything coupon.

10. ModDog

ModDog Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    I personally would get both now. If revision 2 fixes homebrew I would rather have two older revisions. And if something goes wrong with homebrew unit your online can become homebrew and you buy a new online unit at that time. Hard to say but they could go up in money to get.

Last edited by ModDog, Jul 14, 2018
  11. BulleT2k

BulleT2k Member

Newcomer
    Jun 19, 2018
    Netherlands
    You signed two agreements, one for your offline console and one for your online account. Piracy breaks your offline agreement, and modifying certain services breaks your online agreement. Both violations will result in a console ban, repeated offenses will get your whole account banned.

The problem with CFW right now is that we don't know what is reported back as soon as you go online. The safest bet is a backup on day 1, staying offline, and reverting back when emu-Nand becomes a thing. But if you can't wait like the rest of us; just hope your offline data does not contain nullified or hacked activities.

In my view, I sincerely doubt Nintendo would ban you for offline homebrew. There are local laws that allows you to do that, and even the agreements refer to them.

Last edited by BulleT2k, Jul 14, 2018
    RAGER likes this.