shunesburg69

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone!
I'm tied to always be persecute by Atmosphere users who said me to abandon SX OS.
I hear here and there, that is over and we need to switch our Switch to Atmosphere (sorry for the word play)...
BUT, it's not true. SX OS work on FW 11.0.0 and we can patch the new games to play on it.
I know Atmosphere is very good, but there is no possibility to run XCI without install it, and I don't want to install all my games.
And more, now that the SX OS is hacked all people can use it without pay a licence.
I think it will be perfect if one day the hack allow us to add this feature on Atmosphere, but until this day let me play on my SX OS without said me to use another thing.
Thanks you

(It's just a shout to evacuate)

PS: And sorry for my English (I know, I don't speak properly)

Last edited by shunesburg69,
Reactions: Chrisssj2

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
I'm tied to always be persecute by Atmosphere users who said me to abandon SX OS.
I hear here and there, that is over and we need to switch our Switch to Atmosphere (sorry for the word play)...
BUT, it's not true. SX OS work on FW 11.0.0 and we can patch the new games to play on it.
I know Atmosphere is very good, but there is no possibility to run XCI without install it, and I don't want to install all my games.
And more, now that the SX OS is hacked all people can use it without pay a licence.
I think it will be perfect if one day the hack allow us to add this feature on Atmosphere, but until this day let me play on my SX OS without said me to use another thing.
Thanks you

Games using 12.x SDK can't be patched to run on 11.x because of new syscalls only in 12.x

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Technically speaking, Atmosphere is fully open-source so if you want to write some code in order to support install-less XCI support, you're always free to do so.
SXOS isn't hacked or reverse-engineered, only the key generation part has been cracked.
The remaining part is just a black box, too hot to handle.
Nintendo will come after you the moment you release such an XCI patch.
That is why nobody wants to make it.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!
Thanks you

(It's just a shout to evacuate)

They shouldn't be telling you to ditch SXOS, but at the same time there's no reason why you shouldn't be setting up Atmosphere for future games. You can use both SXOS and Atmosphere on the same SD card.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The fact that there are ppl who want xci loading support in open source confirms that the sxos still has it uses, but we all know thats not going to happen. The way I look at sxos its more similar to an exploited ps4 where downgrading new games "Backporting" is essential b/c the latest JB firmware isn't reliably stable. I do agree with Raging, anyone with a hacked switch should have Atmosphere setup either on the same SD card or on another. Im pretty old school towards the home console hacking scene so I prefer a library of games on my external I'm not a portable fan since I work half of my day anyway.

D

Deleted User

I would be upset too if I didn't get a gaming PC. Before that I had a 512 gb sd card full and an external using SX OS of 500 gb that was mostly full. Now I only have about half the 512 gb full due to moving most Switch games to PC so Atmosphere alone is now ok to me.

Reactions: LeyendaV

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fact that the marketing guys behind TX have been caught, nintendo are still on the hunt for resellers so its too risky for resellers and if no one is shipping/selling and now someone has cracked the license, then if no sales, the guys who do the work, arent going to work for free.

so yes, sx os its safe to say is dead, sure people may find ways to patch games (which is risky as you dont know if its legit or not), but unless someone can actually break the dat file and add updates then you wont get any updates.

and then you have the point, why would anything waste time updating sx os when atmos does practically everything sx os can other than xci loading, which is risky as this is official nintendo code.

xci feature was probably the best part of sx os, not having to download a game, then making sure you have space to install it, you simply stored one file on your sd or usb hdd and boom click/play no installation required.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally, I never would have used XCI files even if they had been available to me on Atmosphere. I play portably too much. I know that a 1TB HDD is around $50 and a 1TB microSD card is around $150, but I don't see any reason other than that to use XCI files. I'd personally invest the extra money in getting a high capacity microSD card for the added portability, and a 512GB microSD card for $70 should more than suffice.

That all being said, even if a person didn't care at all about portability and would have rather saved a few bucks, the death of TX and SX OS makes it so using SX OS is untenable. Newer games eventually won't be able to be patched to work with 11.0.0, so updating to a newer system version (and Atmosphere) is the only option. @Shadow#1 did a good job explaining why.

djpannda

GBAtemp's Pannda
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol I understand your Pain I love my XCI (Rather Then using the GameCard) but Hope is fleeting. Thats why MY 2nd switch Runs Atmos.. and the third one is a Virgin (eshop only) .. and fourth to sixth are unopened... ..:unsure::unsure:. I think I have a Problem

Reactions: Lacius

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You think so? I disagree, supporting xci doesn't seem any more 'illegal', court worthy etc.
I simply think the people with the skills needed to do it, aren't interested.
This. Most of the homebrew scene aren't pro-piracy and would never support something like this.
Also, the way TX did game cart emulation requires bundling proprietary Nintendo code/keys in the boot.dat, which gave Nintendo a solid case against them for prosecution, needless to say we don't want our talented homebrew devs to be arrested.

Bonovox40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shouldn't be telling you to ditch SXOS, but at the same time there's no reason why you shouldn't be setting up Atmosphere for future games. You can use both SXOS and Atmosphere on the same SD card.

Do you have a good guide/reference on how to set this up? I have SXOS (non-emunand) on OG unpatched Switch, and looking to do this so I can use XCI when needed, but have latest OFW/updates/compatibility as well. Most guides i've seen are for setups already on/or wanting to use emunand. Thanks!

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you have a good guide/reference on how to set this up? I have SXOS (non-emunand) on OG unpatched Switch, and looking to do this so I can use XCI when needed, but have latest OFW/updates/compatibility as well. Most guides i've seen are for setups already on/or wanting to use emunand. Thanks!
If your goal is to use SX OS while also being able to use Atmosphere for newer games that require newer system versions, then you are going to have to use an emuMMC for either SX OS or Atmosphere. It's impossible to be on two system versions (11.0.0 and 12.1.0, for example) without using at least one emuMMC.

You would save yourself a lot of time, effort, storage space, etc. by just transitioning to Atmosphere on your sysMMC and ditching SX OS altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1