Homebrew Discussion SwitchRoot - Android

Fear86

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey y'all, just a quick question, is it possible to play android games on my Switch + keep my Switch games at the same time? Like opening Tinfoil app style?

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey y'all, just a quick question, is it possible to play android games on my Switch + keep my Switch games at the same time? Like opening Tinfoil app style?
You install Android to your SD, not your NAND.
If you boot Android you can play Android games. Booting Horizon let's you play Switch games.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I finally got Android on my Switch, but I have a question. While I was able to test things like Geforce Now and Android games portably at 60fps, it seems that when I dock it, it drops to 30fps and sticks to 720p on the TV while showing the footage on the Switch itself. Is this considered a bug? Also when docked while I have an ethernet adapter plugged in, my joycons seemed to stop working properly.

It's too bad that we can't make partitions to the eMMC while having Horizon in its own because of the size differential that I believe Nintendo can detect.

D

Deleted User

I finally got Android on my Switch, but I have a question. While I was able to test things like Geforce Now and Android games portably at 60fps, it seems that when I dock it, it drops to 30fps and sticks to 720p on the TV while showing the footage on the Switch itself. Is this considered a bug? Also when docked while I have an ethernet adapter plugged in, my joycons seemed to stop working properly.

It's too bad that we can't make partitions to the eMMC while having Horizon in its own because of the size differential that I believe Nintendo can detect.

I know joycons have issues. I have never noticed it when I use my nintendo ethernet adapter. Are you using one made by nintendo? If so are you sure that when you switch the wifi that goes away. I know you know your stuff. Me myself I play with a pro controller or a ps3 controller and my controls work great. I know that in new android they claim joycons work. I believe if interested you can go to their discord and build it.

no i would not describe the fps drop as a bug. Yes in android docked image continues to display on switch screen. That is normal. I would take that as you are now docked and the fps is adjusting. If you really think about it what it is doing is impressive. Not sure what you were playing.

personally for me i like yaba sanshiro and redream. They are very impressive I feel. Retroarch is cool I even managed to get decent performance out of bsnes hd! Also do check out fpse and drastic. But for me yaba sanshiro and redream is where it is at. I use my pc for pc stuff or xbox one x ps4 etc. to me the appeal of android is having basically a dockable tablet and the power of emulation. I certainly tested geforce though don’t get me wrong...

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I know joycons have issues. I have never noticed it when I use my nintendo ethernet adapter. Are you using one made by nintendo? If so are you sure that when you switch the wifi that goes away. I know you know your stuff. Me myself I play with a pro controller or a ps3 controller and my controls work great. I know that in new android they claim joycons work. I believe if interested you can go to their discord and build it.

no i would not describe the fps drop as a bug. Yes in android docked image continues to display on switch screen. That is normal. I would take that as you are now docked and the fps is adjusting. If you really think about it what it is doing is impressive. Not sure what you were playing.

personally for me i like yaba sanshiro and redream. They are very impressive I feel. Retroarch is cool I even managed to get decent performance out of bsnes hd! Also do check out fpse and drastic. But for me yaba sanshiro and redream is where it is at. I use my pc for pc stuff or xbox one x ps4 etc. to me the appeal of android is having basically a dockable tablet and the power of emulation. I certainly tested geforce though don’t get me wrong...
I had been using the images from July 2019 based on this thread...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...opment/rom-switchroot-lineageos-15-1-t3951389

If the older version is what's causing these issues, then I'll definitely go build the new one.

D

Deleted User

I had been using the images from July 2019 based on this thread...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...opment/rom-switchroot-lineageos-15-1-t3951389

If the older version is what's causing these issues, then I'll definitely go build the new one.

well i assume based on your reply that you tried with just wifi and it went away? Unclear. Anywho i guess you don’t have a pro controller? Or ps3? Cause if you do those work perfectly fine in my view. If you don’t mind compiling the new build no the one you posted is not it. It is on their discord. Not sure the discord though sorry.

almost forgot cause I don’t use them but there are various joycon fix did you try flashing one yet?

Last edited by ,

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
well i assume based on your reply that you tried with just wifi and it went away? Unclear. Anywho i guess you don’t have a pro controller? Or ps3? Cause if you do those work perfectly fine in my view. If you don’t mind compiling the new build no the one you posted is not it. It is on their discord. Not sure the discord though sorry.
I do have a Pro controller (2 of them), but forgot to mention them. They do have an issue for me though, at least regarding the analog sticks (besides acting like D-pads like the Joycons have been) where tilting right/up results in a slower action vs left/down. This issue I haven't seen with the Joycons. Using just WiFi while docked (disconnecting the ethernet adapter) makes the controllers work, but I typically keep it plugged in when playing Switch games.

Perhaps I went in over my head in thinking I could simply build Pie, but when I got to where I believe the stuff was, my mind went completely blank. It's been too long since I involved myself with anything programming-wise, and I feel embarrassed by not knowing what to do with the latest stuff. Perhaps I should just wait until Pie gets a more "unofficial" release. This was just for tinkering purposes of what could be possible on Switch by those who know what they are doing.

D

Deleted User

I do have a Pro controller (2 of them), but forgot to mention them. They do have an issue for me though, at least regarding the analog sticks (besides acting like D-pads like the Joycons have been) where tilting right/up results in a slower action vs left/down. This issue I haven't seen with the Joycons. Using just WiFi while docked (disconnecting the ethernet adapter) makes the controllers work, but I typically keep it plugged in when playing Switch games.

Perhaps I went in over my head in thinking I could simply build Pie, but when I got to where I believe the stuff was, my mind went completely blank. It's been too long since I involved myself with anything programming-wise, and I feel embarrassed by not knowing what to do with the latest stuff. Perhaps I should just wait until Pie gets a more "unofficial" release. This was just for tinkering purposes of what could be possible on Switch by those who know what they are doing.

you saw what i said about the joycon fix? That is really weird what you are saying. Maybe it is a geforce thing. I did not notice that. Now I do have a joycon fix flashed. I wonder if that is why. Now when I play gta san andreas i do have an issue with my pro controller but my ps3 controller works great so I just use that. All in all android is great but i guess it is not for everyone. My latest joy is finally being able to try the translated shining force 3 scenarios. But i love the old games very much.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Quality of life hack. :)

Buy the following two items from aliexpress:
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000030242955.html
https://aliexpress.com/item/4000072290952.html

Total cost: 4 USD shipped.

Manufacture yourself an impromptu microSD card holder on the backside of your Switch with it, like this: :)

atC8O9Q.jpg

4yofweT.jpg

The microSD card holder does feature a 'push in to release the card' function, so the sdcard is stored securely with no chance of falling out.

The added depth to your Switch is so minute, that it still fits in the official dock, with space to spare.

From now on you can switch to your android microsd for the Switch without additional tools (boot to rcm in Atmosphere, boot to rcm in Android (switch the .bin with a recent hekate one) using the addon (read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/reboot-to-hekate-from-switchroot.549433/).)

Have fun. :)

If you cut the last set of stickers in half you'll get a smaller footprint and probably a nicer looking pattern on the back of your switch. I didn't go for most aesthetically pleasing.. ;) Well, only 14 more sticker sheets left to try again.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,
Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

Manufacture yourself an impromptu microSD card holder on the backside of your Switch with it, like this: :)

atC8O9Q.jpg

4yofweT.jpg

The microSD card holder does feature a 'push in to release the card' function, so the sdcard is stored securely with no chance of falling out.

The added depth to your Switch is so minute, that it still fits in the official dock, with space to spare.

From now on you can switch to your android microsd for the Switch without additional tools (boot to rcm in Atmosphere, boot to rcm in Android (switch the .bin with a recent hekate one) using the addon (read this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/reboot-to-hekate-from-switchroot.549433/).)

If you cut the last set of stickers in half you'll get a smaller footprint and probably a nicer looking pattern on the back of your switch. I didn't go for most aesthetically pleasing.. ;) Well, only 14 more sticker sheets left to try again.. ;)
I'm a little confused.
This adds another mSD slot?
And it's outside? How is it connected to the mainboard then?
Also I'm not really sure what these stickers are exactly doing.

Csmrcc

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain

atC8O9Q.jpg

4yofweT.jpg

:D looks terrible, i prefer to carry it on a little case inside the switch case

Reactions: notimp

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
:D looks terrible, i prefer to carry it on a little case inside the switch case
Get better stickers. ;)

At least I can add, that the resistance from a very slight adhesive (sticker grade ;) ) over that patch of area is more than enough for the holder never to move in a way to loosen the adhesive surface over time. The mess above - will hold. :)

Last edited by notimp,
D

Deleted User

yo notimp that is not the way. I uh have a case for my switch and if it fell it protects it and I can hold several sd cards inside and do. That just looks horrid.

ploggy

WAKA! WAKA!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah totally. Thing is if you are going to like roll no case this is definitely an idea. Notimp switch look like it got the virus or something...
Ha yeah, I wish I had a 3d printer I'd be making things like that all day :P

Thinking about it I think there are custom Kickstands out there that have slots for sd cards too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus