Discussion SwitchRoot - Android

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by ganons, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    The card is only $20 so it's worth a try!

2. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Got the 64gb samsung to replace my 128gb sandisk and went from a 10 minute black screen on booting to 30 seconds

notimp likes this.
  3. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Went from a 15 minute boot time that was barely responsive to 40 seconds and works perfect, SD card makes all the difference

Rahkeesh likes this.
  4. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Went from a 15 minute boot time that was barely responsive to 40 seconds and works perfect, SD card makes all the difference

5. CrazyRach82

CrazyRach82 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2017
    Just set android up on my switch. Am using 32gb u3 card. First I used the stock version of android, but found that gapps was crashing constantly. Downloaded the nano version of gapps, but now I am finding that I cant type anything in. For instance when i try to do the first part of setup, which is to enter your wifi password, rather than a keyboard appearing....bring up the voice activation logo and says that voice cannot be used for this section. After looking, it looks like no keyboard has been installed. Secondly, if I choose to skip setup and set things up without the keyboard, I then get to the point where lineage says "Android Starting" and it just seems to get stuck there with a white line just whooshing across.
    Any help appreciated, as I seem to be hitting a brick wall at every stage :-(

6. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    I can't tick the stupid partitions in TWRP under mount. What's going on? Trying for like 15 minutes now.
    I've seen ppl in YouTube videos just ticking it in an instant with their fingers.
    The lines do highlight but nothing happens. Rebooting doesn't change a thing.

7. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    if i get retroarch.. do gamecube games run on it or do i need Lakka for that?

8. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
  9. mrcroket

mrcroket Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2018
    Spain
    I found how to have analog sticks on joycons in moonlight while streaming, its a bit shabby... but works:P

I just connected joycons to the pc using this
    https://github.com/sam0x17/XJoy
    You're limited for the bluetooth range, but to play in the same room that the pc (bedroom in my case) it works good! :D

notimp likes this.
  10. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    Okay got System, Micro SD card and Vendor mounted. Only Data can't be ticked no matter what. But I need it to be mounted in order to flash some things. Any hints why it can't be ticked?

11. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    I really have no clue what's going on ...

20190902_223121. 20190902_222757.

@bylaws can you help out?
    Took me ages to tick all 4 points in MOUNT.
    Then when flashing Gapps (nano) it crashes and reboots. I surely took the arm64 package for 8.1 ...

This is the card I'm using:
    https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07FCMKK5X/
    Tried with the 128 GB image before, trying with the 64 GB image now. It seems Magisk is installing right now but Gapps keep crashing on me. I try to redownload them.

Last edited by lordelan, Sep 2, 2019
  12. Sora Takihawa

Sora Takihawa Planeptunes Male CPU

Oct 11, 2015
    Germany
    Planeptune
    lol i use same sd like u and it works...only negative i have is if i load apps over 40mb big it hangs after 13% after that it takes ages to load and sometimes freezes there so i need to abort.

13. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Ok, as we see so many people with issues.

TWRP sometimes hangs. Was the same here too, in my case it always eventually continued though and finished.

If you have a case of black screen on boot - I believe there was some issue with etcher and 'higher than expected' writing speed of the card. I cant remember if it was fixed or not, you have to search xda.

Also I believe there was one user only reporting issues with the 128GB package, but it was due to the actual disk size of the sdcard being smaller than the image.

Last edited by notimp, Sep 3, 2019
  14. gohan123

gohan123 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    Germany
    when it's highlighted but kind of stucks, I press back and go again into the menu. sometimes it takes 2-3 times then it continues.

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    the thing is, it seems so absolutely random which cards it will run well of and which it wont.
    i have two 32gb sandisk ones, one of the grey white ultras and one of them red gold extreme i think.
    it ran like crap from the extreme, taking over 2 hours to install at a snails pace and wouldn't even start after the first boot.
    it still installed slow on the other, but much faster and ran what i would assume to be at normal speed.

both cards are meant to run fast, both work otherwis and neither is a fake. and i've read of several people using an extreme without issue. its just so random

16. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Haven't seen anyone mention it, but reboot to payload is out now

lordelan likes this.
  17. lordelan

lordelan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 4, 2015
    Germany
    And how does it work? Just the stock Android reboot function?

Csmrcc likes this.
  18. ZachyCatGames

ZachyCatGames GBAtemp Addict

Jun 19, 2018
    United States
    Hell
    Pressing reboot will cause it to reboot to hekate, if that’s what you mean.

lordelan and Csmrcc like this.
  19. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Apparently once you've got it configured, you can enable Android's advanced reboot menu from the developer options, then reboot will boot android, reboot to recovery will boot TWRP, and reboot to bootloader will just boot hekate.

lordelan likes this.
  20. Milenko

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    Thanks, no where does it tell you to enable it in developer options, was searching for ages trying to figure it out...
    but reboot to recovery or bootloader just gives me a black screen

Started android again through hekate and it went straight to twrp

Is there a specific place on the sd that it looks for hekate?

Last edited by Milenko, Sep 19, 2019
  21. darkriku2000

darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    I haven't tried retroarch for android but there is a dolphin emulator for android. IMO it runs better on the dolphin core on Lakka but I haven't messed with the options in android at all

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted