Hardware Switch won't boot - black screen

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I've seen similar posts to this, but a few things are different in my case, so thought I'd ask...

My Switch is frozen on a black screen - completely unresponsive.

I had plugged it in to charge (starting around 50% maybe?) and left for 2 hours. When I came back, it was backlit, but wouldn't respond. After holding down the power button, the screen turned black, and no combination of troubleshooting (suggested by Nintendo over the phone) will fix this. When I try to charge it via the dock, I get a blinking green light on the dock.

I have never added any mods/special programs to my Switch. It was purchased new in Dec 2018.

Two questions:
  • Anyone know what might cause this issue?
  • If I open the back panel, or mess around with software, will Nintendo refuse to repair it? (My warranty is already expired - would they at least repair/replace it for a cost?)
If you recommend I have my laptop talk to my Switch, note that I'm on a Mac (i saw someone recommend TegraRcmGUI for Windows). And I have no experience with this sort of thing, so please ELI5.

Thanks!!

Last edited by westghost,

stellsnake

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Holding the power button for 30 seconds does not help? Was an atmosphere or other custom firmware installed on the console before that?

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have never added custom firmware or anything on my Switch.

Here's what I have tried that didn't work:
  • Holding power button for 15 seconds, or 20 seconds, or 30 seconds, then pressing it once
  • Holding volume up/down buttons at the same time as the power button for 5 seconds
  • Different wall outlet
  • Different charging cable
  • Charging through the dock (get blinking green light)
  • EDIT: Also tried all of this with the SD card removed

The Switch is unresponsive, no backlight, no logo, no maintenance mode. Just a black screen.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
A corrupted SD card would freeze on the Switch logo, but could still be a potential cause, yes.

Was the console under some rough treatment? High/low temperatures? Abrupt electric shocks (sudden corrient cuts/returns)? High humidity/water damage?

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did also remove the SD card and then tried all of that again, should have mentioned that. I'll try everything again just to be sure.

No rough treatment on the Switch – though I did leave it alone for 2 hours, I suppose it's possible that there was an electrical issue from my power strip that I was unaware of?

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
I did also remove the SD card and then tried all of that again, should have mentioned that. I'll try everything again just to be sure.

No rough treatment on the Switch – though I did leave it alone for 2 hours, I suppose it's possible that there was an electrical issue from my power strip that I was unaware of?
Did you try to boot after unattaching the joycons? If, by any reason, that works, try again, this time with only the left joycon attached.

Last edited by LeyendaV,

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you try to boot after unattaching the joycons? If, by any reason, that works, try again, this time with only the left joycon attached.
That did not work but thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate your help!! Anything else I could try? Should I take a look inside, and if so, would Nintendo refuse to repair a Switch that has been opened?

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My warranty is already expired, but they said they would repair it at cost. My question is whether, if I open the back panel and can't identify/fix anything, they would still repair it at a cost or refuse to repair it.

LeyendaV

The One and Only
Trophies
Website
heylink.me
XP
Country
Argentina
My warranty is already expired, but they said they would repair it at cost. My question is whether, if I open the back panel and can't identify/fix anything, they would still repair it at a cost or refuse to repair it.
I don't think just taking off the back panel could make you loss the warranty. In any case, you lost it already, so you are gonna get charged either way.

Reactions: westghost

westghost

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could overcharging the battery cause an issue like this?
Any thoughts on why I get the blinking green light when I put it on the dock, what does that indicate?

SheriffBuck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum.

Couple of things to check:
  • Take a really close look at the USB Type-C port. It's ever so easy to lift a pin and have it crushed into the back of the connector. Get the wrong pin and you can take out the M92, which would prevent charging and the Switch would simply be unresponsive because the battery would be run down so far.
  • Could the backlight have gone? Shine a bright light on boot and see if you can see anything on the screen. It will be really faint.
  • If you want to avoid opening it up at this point, I'd recommending getting a USB voltage/current meter and taking a look at what is being pulled by the Switch when on charge. If you are getting 0A, then I'd suspect the connector, M92 or internal fuse.
Sheriff.

Reactions: westghost

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol