Hardware Switch won’t boot after USB port replacement

CodexDX

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, my son plugged a micro usb into my charging port and broke the port on the switch. The switch still worked and playable but was unable to charge. I believe autorcm to have been on as I had to inject payload every time it ever booted. Took to store and had USB port replaced, and confirmed to read voltage, however I cannon get the switch to boot or even show as a rcm device. The switch was at the shop for almost two weeks so chances are the battery drained dead, but docked overnight still doesn’t boot it. Please help and advise, thank you kindly

Ttm3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible you are going into rcm because you have it set to autorcm but you aren't able to send a Payload because your data line is shorted or broke. I just corrected one like this by replacing the filter just above the charge port. Now my data lines read again & I can access rcm.

OhItsSlick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is possible you are going into rcm because you have it set to autorcm but you aren't able to send a Payload because your data line is shorted or broke. I just corrected one like this by replacing the filter just above the charge port. Now my data lines read again & I can access rcm.
hey there, this is totally out of the blue but I’ve got a question regarding the switch you fixed as stated above. Was the filter by any chance OL when probing the test points of D+/- or was the filter itself bad?

Ttm3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hey there, this is totally out of the blue but I’ve got a question regarding the switch you fixed as stated above. Was the filter by any chance OL when probing the test points of D+/- or was the filter itself bad?
I've had this be both. Sometimes the short is the filter itself but sometimes it's shorted in the processor.

jkyoho

Trophies
Website
form.jotform.com
XP
Country
Canada
Check at the arrow point(top of the filter coil, they come directly from CPU.
SO if you have it OL diode measure at RED arrow, then you have issue from CPU side.
OR if you have diode value like 0.xxx from RED arrow points but not test point 2 or 3. Then you might have issue from the filter or the 6pin ESD(some mode maynot have 6pin ESD)

Attachments

• dataLine check.png
    dataLine check.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

Ttm3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply, were you able to sort out the processor issue by reflowing it?
No. I believe it is shorted internally. The switches I've had with this issue still work with a few exceptions... No wired controllers, can't send a payload, battery drains quicker than normal. Your mileage may vary but this is what I've noticed

rip-it-up

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No. I believe it is shorted internally. The switches I've had with this issue still work with a few exceptions... No wired controllers, can't send a payload, battery drains quicker than normal. Your mileage may vary but this is what I've noticed

this is very useful information, I haven't seen much in regards to this component.

as for the original fault, I've replaced a few usb c ports in my time. and I've had a couple not booting after, I always assumed I floated the ram?

would it go it rcm with bad ram?

I think op should get a battery with juice In, and remove USB c port.

I'd advise him to get a ammetre,
the usb c port might be shorted to ground?
do you get voltage on pin 4?

OhItsSlick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much for the replies and your time. One last question, how would you determine it's the filter is causing the data line issue and not the cpu? Just probe the filter for continuity?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass