Hacking Switch with AutoRCM won't accept payload

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Today I rebooted my Switch and it didn't come back. The unit had AutoRCM enabled, so I expected it to grab the payload from a dongle upon reboot, but it didn't, no matter how many times I tried. I actually have two dongles which used to work, neither worked this time, clip or no clip. Plugging the Switch into a PC also doesn't trigger anything (I was expecting new device detection, could someone check if this is the case with their Switch?). The unit still charges fine, I can see PSU change the voltage from 5V to 15V when I connect the Switch to it.

Considering how rarely I reboot (once in several months) I don't exclude that the USB port got damaged since the last time. It still works with PD supplies though, and just before the reboot I was transferring files via USB with no issues. Is there a USB-C line which is only needed for RCM but not during fast charging or file transfer? Is there anything I could check to diagnose the problem further?

Last edited by dimag0g,

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you do anything to your Switch recently, like install a system update, that might have removed AutoRCM?

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Did you do anything to your Switch recently, like install a system update, that might have removed AutoRCM?

I was going to update it, but didn't have the chance. Wanted to start with a clean power off / power on.

The unit should still be on AutoRCM, it won't display anything on the screen when I push the power button, and I already tried the payload dongle together with the jig in place of the right joy-con and holding Vol+.

Is a working unit detected by a PC while in RCM? Mine is not, so I wonder what could be the reason.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I was going to update it, but didn't have the chance. Wanted to start with a clean power off / power on.

The unit should still be on AutoRCM, it won't display anything on the screen when I push the power button, and I already tried the payload dongle together with the jig in place of the right joy-con and holding Vol+.

Is a working unit detected by a PC while in RCM? Mine is not, so I wonder what could be the reason.
It is. I couldn't tell you what's wrong but I think it's unlikely that the USB-C port would be damaged in such a way that RCM doesn't work but fast charging does. You'd have to be supremely unlucky, although I believe it is theoretically possible. The data pins are completely separate from anything that handles charging, there are actually 2 dedicated pins to negotiate USB-PD power (along with a host of other pins that are not directly related to either data or power)

Reactions: dimag0g

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Meanwhile I have checked the USB-C port continuity with my multimeter: D+, D- and GND all make contact with the respective solder joints on the PCB inside the Switch. There's also continuity on those lines inside my payload injector.

I wonder what else could be the issue. I assume SD card failure is out of the question: the payload displays a message if the SD card is unreadable. Could it be caused by a dead or corrupted EMMC?

SjSS6.jpg

PS. Ordered this baby: https://gbatemp.net/threads/emmc-reader-for-hac-emmc.584027/

Last edited by dimag0g,

mmedeiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interestingly my Trinket M0 just stopped injecting the payload. Switch goes in to RCM mode then I have to manually inject with the TegraRCMgui. Not sure what could have happened, was working fine for a year or so.

Reactions: dimag0g

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Meanwhile I have checked the USB-C port continuity with my multimeter: D+, D- and GND all make contact with the respective solder joints on the PCB inside the Switch. There's also continuity on those lines inside my payload injector.

I wonder what else could be the issue. I assume SD card failure is out of the question: the payload displays a message if the SD card is unreadable. Could it be caused by a dead or corrupted EMMC?

SjSS6.jpg

PS. Ordered this baby: https://gbatemp.net/threads/emmc-reader-for-hac-emmc.584027/

you would need a mini usb cable to use with the emmc reader. I received mine but dont really know how to use it yet and waiting on the mini usb cable.

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Interestingly my Trinket M0 just stopped injecting the payload. Switch goes in to RCM mode then I have to manually inject with the TegraRCMgui. Not sure what could have happened, was working fine for a year or so.

Thanks, it was indeed a possibility, but I have since tested both injectors with a different Switch unit, and they both worked perfectly.
I'm starting to think I blew up the dreaded PI3USB chip in my Switch. I wonder if it handles just data, or USB PD as well.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

you would need a mini usb cable to use with the emmc reader. I received mine but dont really know how to use it yet and waiting on the mini usb cable.

I think you can connect the reader to a Linux PC, and you'll get block devices for BOOT0, BOOT1 and GPP partitions. Then you just read/write them as any block device. On Win10, you need a special driver, and then you can read/write using win32imager or HacDiskMount.

Last edited by dimag0g,

dimag0g

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
After reflashing the EMMC module with the latest clean backup, the unit didn't come back to life. The only plausible explanation I have is that the CPU board is damaged. If anyone has an idea of what else I could try, please let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.