RELEASE Switch SDL Pong

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by Cheeze, May 26, 2018.

1. Cheeze
    OP

Cheeze Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    United States
    Hello,
    This is my pretty basic attempt at implementing pong for the nintendo switch using c++ and SDL2. It is about as complete as i can tell. i will fix bugs if any are found but i believe its done.

tested and working on 5.0.2 and 5.1.0

This is the final release
    Source

To compile use devkitpro with the correct portlibs.

Release

Copy the switch folder to the root of your switch sd card.

if you find bugs create a new issue on the github or report them here and ill try and fix em.
    enjoy!

Last edited by Cheeze, Jun 6, 2018
    lordelan, Cid2mizard, marice and 3 others like this.
  2. Cheeze
    OP

Cheeze Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    United States
    thanks whoever moved this to the correct forum!

Last edited by Cheeze, May 27, 2018
  3. DarkOrb

DarkOrb GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Germany
    Nice. But one question which is kinda offtopic: How did you learn to code in c/c++? And do you think you can learn it solely by learning by doing? I'm not someone who likes to follow a book or online tutorial with tousand of sites on this subject. I'd like to code something and if I need help or an explaination, I will google it. Do you think this is a viable way to learn?

4. mattytrog

mattytrog Somebodys Offspring

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Fantastic effort, OP. Keep it up.

One day we might get a perfect Ay-3 emulation. I had one of these back in the day.

It's little projects like this that contribute to the scene. Keep on learning!

5. metaloyd23

metaloyd23 Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 19, 2016
    I highly recomend sololearn for android, its a very basic guide, but enough to start building the simplest programs

DarkOrb likes this.
  6. DarkOrb

DarkOrb GBAtemp Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    Germany
    It looks pretty good. Thank you. :)

7. Cheeze
    OP

Cheeze Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    United States
    Id say i learned the basics of c/c++ syntax from the arduino (even though its like some weird hybrid of c and java or something like that). Im more of an electronics person but i picked up on programming back in the psp days albeit i just wrote lua games and programs and never released any. id say learning by doing is the best way (my opinion) because thats how i learned. I wrote most of this in the most part of one day, maybe 2 to get it good enough to show off. The same probably could have been done my someone more experienced in 1 hour or something.

Thanks!!! I will and the homebrew will only get better.

DarkOrb likes this.
  8. Absintu

Absintu GBAtemp Regular

Feb 2, 2018
    Portugal
    i woudnt do it that way.my advice is the oposite. Learn a good object oriented language (c++, java) with a good book or course. Learn it well. When u learn all the concepts, you can learn any language by just reading questions on google. But dont dont do this in your first aproach

9. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
    in your game le computer cheat

10. mattytrog

mattytrog Somebodys Offspring

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    "Le computer" owns your arse, boy. Don't ever forget it ;)

11. seanp2500

seanp2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 2, 2010
    United States
  12. Cheeze
    OP

Cheeze Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    United States
    thats a lie ;)

@seanp2500 you scored on the a.i the ball gets reset to whoever misses. im working on 2 player mode as we speak and then ill be tweaking and cleaning the code ALOT. thanks for putting it in your vidieo. im subscribed and cant wait to see more!!

Last edited by Cheeze, May 27, 2018
  13. Cheeze
    OP

Cheeze Member

Newcomer
    May 5, 2017
    United States
    it is currently 1:43 and 2 player mode is done. done as in a working state. ill upload sometime tomorrow. theres some other stuff too but im too tired to type it out right now.

hippy dave likes this.
  14. sblast3

sblast3 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    Do any other platforms (DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita, Wii, WiiU, PS3) support C++/SDL2? Or is this something new to the Switch?

15. Centergaming

Centergaming GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2016
    United States
    It looks great!

16. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    3DS never got fully fledged sdl, Vita just got it recently (not sure if 1 or 2), don't think Wii U ever did.