Homebrew Discussion Switch overclocking released (improved N64 & PSX emu)

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, rather find out if the CPU OC's might lead to something like DC emulation (even if it's at 5fps, it's still an indicator of what could be to come, albeit a faint one). Or better DS emulation even if I don't really think using your fingers to replace the stylus is a very good idea!

Still, development towards dynarecs is definitely something that should be in the cards. We finally got the RA team on the Switch, and that can only mean good things to come.

Though, if I may ask, do shaders work? I remember trying some while playing SOTN and while some, when incomplete, did give results, others didn't seem to make a damn difference in my eyes. (Granted, this is while it was in portable mode while I was at college and far away from a dock!)

Full speed Dreamcast emulation is certainly possible. Sega has considered releasing an official emulator for the Switch.

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...citing-talks-about-dreamcast-games-on-switch/

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Full speed Dreamcast emulation is certainly possible. Sega has considered releasing an official emulator for the Switch.

source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...citing-talks-about-dreamcast-games-on-switch/

There's a big difference between Sega re-releasing old games from that era and independent efforts to bring DC emulation to the Switch. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 both have upgraded ports on the GC (and maybe the OG Xbox?) that have been ported to every modern system under the sun. Crazy Taxi 1 is definitely on many systems. Not to mention, we won't have to deal with company politics involving licenses in relation to re-releases like with pretty much any of the Capcom Vs. games, or Power Stone. They have access to code and information that emu devs would jump onto the moment it was leaked or made open source. As in, low-level information, not just involving the Dreamcast itself, but the games' source code, provided it's even archived and maintained well in the first place. (Silent Hill HD Collection, anyone?)

It's neat that Sega is considering it, but for those of us who grew up with fond memories of launching opponents into the air with two different Wolverines and destroying Abyss' first form with Cable's Viper Cannon, or the MUGEN-before-MUGEN (that doesn't involve characters that will give people with epilepsy seizures) that was Capcom Vs. SNK, market and legal realities can get in the way of them importing, say, the best of the best of that era to the Switch.

Nerdtendo

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a big difference between Sega re-releasing old games from that era and independent efforts to bring DC emulation to the Switch. Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 both have upgraded ports on the GC (and maybe the OG Xbox?) that have been ported to every modern system under the sun. Crazy Taxi 1 is definitely on many systems. Not to mention, we won't have to deal with company politics involving licenses in relation to re-releases like with pretty much any of the Capcom Vs. games, or Power Stone. They have access to code and information that emu devs would jump onto the moment it was leaked or made open source. As in, low-level information, not just involving the Dreamcast itself, but the games' source code, provided it's even archived and maintained well in the first place. (Silent Hill HD Collection, anyone?)

It's neat that Sega is considering it, but for those of us who grew up with fond memories of launching opponents into the air with two different Wolverines and destroying Abyss' first form with Cable's Viper Cannon, or the MUGEN-before-MUGEN (that doesn't involve characters that will give people with epilepsy seizures) that was Capcom Vs. SNK, market and legal realities can get in the way of them importing, say, the best of the best of that era to the Switch.
I'm confused by your points. If Sega can develop a Dreamcast emulator, why can't we?

Freezerbomb

Likes tacos
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

But we have a big advantage over them. We can overclock the CPU and I don't think they're allowed to. But in the worst case scenario, we could probably just inject our own roms into their emulator.

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
XC2 looks WAAAAY better docked than in handheld, would be the main reason to do this. Leaving the screen on at the same time does produce more power draw than normal docked mode, plus it's drawing from the power adapter rather than the battery, so there COULD be issues drawing that much power from the battery. Might be completely fine, though. M4 did say that overclocking the CPU didn't cause as much additional heat as even slightly overclocking the GPU, so who knows.

CPU OC just seems like a way safer OC right now, and solves all of our issues with PSX and n64 (short term).

And you guys complaining about optimization are nuts, do you want full speed PSX and n64 NOW, or LATER?

You're right there'd be some additional power draw vs. normal docked operation, due to the screen, but I doubt it's that much more. I think this is something you'd only want to do plugged in.

I have XB2 specifically in mind for why it'd be nice to have the option.

nero99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the switch is this weak that it can't even run n64 and psp without overclock huh
Pathetic. I had high hopes on this console but now i know its just a common android tablet...
you have no idea how hardware optimization works, do you? Do you just expect the switch to emulate these systems with no issues?

D

Deleted User

m4xw can i sign up somewhere for a text alert once this is released? jk of course. Just wanted to make you chuckle.

Boss you give me full speed zelda on my switch ima have to break into my wallet and make another donation cuz that is just gosh. I feel like a kid when i go to sleep dreaming of christmas morning these days. Very similar anticipation...

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
(sorry, don't know how emulation works)

I don't get it. Skyrim runs smootly on Switch but PSX game has performance issues?

Last edited by lolboy,

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
(sorry, don't know how emulation works)

I don't get it. Skyrim runs smootly on Switch but PSX game has performance issues?

Skyrim was made for Switch.

PSX was not. An emulator has to translate every single command the PSX says into Switch language - in real-time. That's what makes it slow.

Awstoned

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not neccessarily - we can definitely do an OC to docked clocks without problems.

Keep in mind that the Switch is ridiculously cool in handheld mode - other devices like the GPD Win will get your hands sweaty, but it's still not dangerous to the chip :P
Isn’t their videos of dudes trying to get the switch hot as fuck and it just takes it like champ

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Isn’t their videos of dudes trying to get the switch hot as fuck and it just takes it like champ

I mean, Switch runs at 40-50°c handheld, probably 60-70°c docked.

My GPD Win can get to 85°c if you push it lol. And those chips are designed to work fine at those temps, I think Intel SoCs shut down at 100°c. Switch is a bit lower than that iirc.

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Skyrim was made for Switch.

PSX was not. An emulator has to translate every single command the PSX says into Switch language - in real-time. That's what makes it slow.

Aha, so emulation is not porting PSX firmware\libraries to Switch?

lolboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No, this is simply not possible because the PSX is 24 years old and has an entirely different architecture.

Also, porting usually requires the source code, which we don't have.

Amazing, this make me respect emulator coders even more. I always thought they some how dumped/decompiled the system code.
But how do they know which command to send?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol