Homebrew Discussion Switch overclocking released (improved N64 & PSX emu)

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i think we will definitely be needing thermal mods on switch now.

Not neccessarily - we can definitely do an OC to docked clocks without problems.

Keep in mind that the Switch is ridiculously cool in handheld mode - other devices like the GPD Win will get your hands sweaty, but it's still not dangerous to the chip :P

Reactions: Girtana1

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
OC should be fine, it made the Vita sooo much better after overclocking. Sure the battery ran out faster, but games such as the Neptunia series lagged like it was no tomorrow until the OCs came about.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Nintendo has always been cutting every corner possible with their hardware. Do you really think someone there said "Hey, let's have this cool airflow or extra fan just in case someone wants to run homebrew at 1.5 Ghz?" Probably not. Nintendo is always doing the bare minimum to have their own crap run, PERIOD.

You better have an amazing extra fan and whatnot ready to handle it, or get ready to see an army of swollen switches hitting second hand shelves or ebay soon. Are you sure you want to play with fire only to get a few extra FPS?
This kind of hardware doesn't even need a fan to cool it, but it's nice that Nintendo put one in anyway to keep the SoC from getting toasty as modern mobile SoCs tend to do.

Reactions: nmkd

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good video, although the camera could be zoomed in on the TV.
I have my comment on Super Mario 64:

Is the HUD missing because of the widescreen hack, or is it an emulation bug?

Also you might not know this in terms of framerate test of Super Mario 64 as of this build.
Jolly Roger Bay and Dire Dire Docks are laggy areas to test out.

Aftershock

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Overclocking will obviously have an impact on heat and battery life but at least its nice to have the option, and be able to play with N64 emulation until a dynamic recompiler is released. I'm all for more options :-) Besides I rarely have more than an hour at a time to play these days anyway lol

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
From libretro's Twitter

64 and PSX games should now be running at fullspeed thanks to the upcoming Switch overclocking methods! These emulators seem heavily constrained by the default stock clock speed.
Not all N64 games will be fullspeed. But we didn't find a slowed down PSX title so far and many N64 titles reached a playable state and/or fullspeed

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Just hope Goldeneye gets fixed over time
It seems like important bug fixes, like the black sky in goldeneye rarely get ported for some reason... One emulator will fix that bug, get ported, and the bug returns. It's VERY annoying.

AdamFX990

Confused Humanoid
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nintendo has always been cutting every corner possible with their hardware. Do you really think someone there said "Hey, let's have this cool airflow or extra fan just in case someone wants to run homebrew at 1.5 Ghz?" Probably not. Nintendo is always doing the bare minimum to have their own crap run, PERIOD.

You better have an amazing extra fan and whatnot ready to handle it, or get ready to see an army of swollen switches hitting second hand shelves or ebay soon. Are you sure you want to play with fire only to get a few extra FPS?

You could swap Ninty out for nearly any laptop, smartphone, tablet manufacturer. I agree with you that its not a good idea to play with for FPS. Its something to play around with if you're curious about the switches limits and don't mind the risk. :)

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If the overclock can take the handheld switch and upclock to docked-mode speeds, I don't see any overheating issues besides the typical "bend" and battery drain.
This is not about getting GPU OC or docked clocks (in the first iteration)
This is only about OC'ing the CPU for now.

It seems like important bug fixes, like the black sky in goldeneye rarely get ported for some reason... One emulator will fix that bug, get ported, and the bug returns. It's VERY annoying.
Framebuffer emulation. I have hard-disabled it because performance reasons. This is not a bug, this is for performance reasons.
In the Upstream builds its a core option still.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)