Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would hombrew be available if I update to latest FW to update BOTW? Also what are the advantages of having a lower FW instead of the latest for a basic user who is interested in backups?
Yes. To answer your second question, the advantage of firmwares 4.1 and below is that they can load Atmosphere, a WIP CFW, without the need for a jig and USB cable. This CFW is going to be the one used for all hacking & homebrew but while it may not support backup loading when its completed initially, someone else will most likely implement it. If you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable or if you want to keep your console on/in sleep mode 24/7, then you can update. Alternatively, SX OS supports backup launching but it must be paid for. The current free alternative is LBL, or LayeredFS Backup Launching, which is difficult and carries a high ban risk.
Hello guys!
I'm total noob in Switch, so I will be glad for some help and clarifications. Thanks in advance!
1. I have a Switch with 2.2.0 firmware. So using guide to upgrade without burning fuses I can freely switch between 2.0.0/2.1.0/2.2.0/2.3.0 firmware versions and I can use them as OFW (w/o RCM and Hekate) also with internet? Or it will be dangerous to use 2.0.0 and 2.1.0 with Internet, cuz Nintendo knows that my console comes with 2.2.0 from the factory?

2. Is there working method to restore full nand via Hekate, and what are dangers? Found info.

3. If I update my console w/o burning fuses to 3.0.2 to play some recent games via SX OS (completely offline), what is the best method to restore my original 2.2.0 state, via upgrade guide or restoring original full nand via Hekate or etc?

4. If I install AutoRCM how do I need to completely shutdown my console (I know that it best to charge it while in OFW/CFW)? Via OS, button or Hekate menu?

5. What is the logic of Wi-Fi connectivity? Do I really need to be in Airplane mode all the time? What if I do not activate Airplane mode, and do not manually connect to any network, will Switch autoconnect to any open wi-fi network that it sees? Or it is best to set a dummy wi-fi network and connect console to it?
  1. There is a very low chance Nintendo is tracking the firmware people are using in comparison with what they come from the box. I'm not saying Nintendo can't ban you for this but we have no evidence to support that theory at the moment.
  2. There is with CTCaer's v3 mod of Hekate, but it is not recommended for normal users.
  3. See #2 for answer
  4. Either use the Hekate menu to power off or manually shut it down by holding the power button for 12-15 seconds (it actually needs to be 10 but some people don't count properly so this is better safe than sorry)
  5. Ideally, the Switch should not have any Wi-Fi connection stored at all. Airplane Mode is to ensure the Switch isn't sending data to Nintendo with completely wiped Wi-Fi settings.

Reactions: RAGER

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
how to dump a game i have? and how to extract a key from a game and inject it to other game.
for example extract a key from my physical game then inject it to a dumped game downloaded from the internet

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: aos10

agas1957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading all this for a couple of days... What a mess! Lol!
I have a brand new Switch on 3.0.2 - never been online yet. :ph34r:

The first thing is I am going to do is to dump NAND using Hekate.
After that - I have no idea. :)
The plan is to get SX OS from TX - I believe they deserved $25.
And stay offline.

I don't know if I need homebrew.... Probably just to play some backups at this moment...
Since I still want to play recent titles with SX OS... I might want 4.x anyway...
I need exFat too.
I am wondering if I should update to 4.x from game card... Or 5.x online before going rogue... Or try just add exFat (I saw a guide)...
Lol... :)

Completely lost here - so many opinions... :)

Any other ideas to add to this messy pile? :rofl2:

Last edited by agas1957,

Mylink5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Yes. To answer your second question, the advantage of firmwares 4.1 and below is that they can load Atmosphere, a WIP CFW, without the need for a jig and USB cable. This CFW is going to be the one used for all hacking & homebrew but while it may not support backup loading when its completed initially, someone else will most likely implement it. If you don't mind having to use a jig and USB cable or if you want to keep your console on/in sleep mode 24/7, then you can update. Alternatively, SX OS supports backup launching but it must be paid for. The current free alternative is LBL, or LayeredFS Backup Launching, which is difficult and carries a high ban risk.

1. There is a very low chance Nintendo is tracking the firmware people are using in comparison with what they come from the box. I'm not saying Nintendo can't ban you for this but we have no evidence to support that theory at the moment.
  2. There is with CTCaer's v3 mod of Hekate, but it is not recommended for normal users.
  3. See #2 for answer
  4. Either use the Hekate menu to power off or manually shut it down by holding the power button for 12-15 seconds (it actually needs to be 10 but some people don't count properly so this is better safe than sorry)
  5. Ideally, the Switch should not have any Wi-Fi connection stored at all. Airplane Mode is to ensure the Switch isn't sending data to Nintendo with completely wiped Wi-Fi settings.
So there is not any modifications to the console to do on FW lower than 4? And is there a chance for it to be permanent in the future?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading all this for a couple of days... What a mess! Lol!
I have a brand new Switch on 3.0.2 - never been online yet. :ph34r:

The first thing is I am going to do is to dump NAND using Hekate.
After that - I have no idea. :)
The plan is to get SX OS from TX - I believe they deserved $25.
And stay offline.

I don't know if I need homebrew.... Probably just to play some backups at this moment...
Since I still want to play recent titles with SX OS...
I need exFat.
I am wondering if I should update to 4.x from game card... Or 5.x online before going rogue.. Or try just exFat (I saw a guide)
Lol... :)

Completely lost here - so many opinions... :)

Any other ideas to add to this messy pile? :rofl2:
  1. Stick to FAT32 and split all your .XCI files into 4 GB parts. May make transferring a little more complicated but avoids the headache of using exFAT.
  2. Update to 5.X, grab the exFAT update officially, dump your NAND, and stay offline to avoid being banned. If you want to go online, restore your NAND.
  3. Follow either this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ or this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/ to get the exFAT update offline. Will require a game dump that matches your system firmware.
  4. Throw all caution to the wind and pirate online with the exFAT update
Personally, I'm a fan of 3 but it depends on how much you want to use the eShop on your Switch and game online. If you are banned, you can still update all of your games and system firmware. The choices are left open to you to decide.
So there is not any modifications to the console to do on FW lower than 4? And is there a chance for it to be permanent in the future?
As far as we know yes. To be more accurate, the unreleased softmod that works up to 4.1 has not been released so there is reason to believe it has not been patched out in 5.X yet. It has not been tested yet due to all work being focused on developing Atmosphere, but they are not going to release it because it may also work on the new Mariko Switches since they patch out the current coldboot exploit.

For your other question, no hacks can be made permanent without Nintendo's personal keys for signing firmware. These are under lock and key, cannot be brute forced in a lifespan, and would warrant legal action if leaked. The only way to make it appear permanent is to leave the console in sleep mode at all times and never turn it off. There may come a day when we do have a more permanent modification, but for right now, there is no such thing.

Last edited by Draxzelex,
Reactions: agas1957

mendezagus

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
  1. Stick to FAT32 and split all your .XCI files into 4 GB parts. May make transferring a little more complicated but avoids the headache of using exFAT
I was thinking of updating for the exFAT support. What is exactly the headache of using exFAT? I thought it was more of a headache splitting .xci files (never done it before).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking of updating for the exFAT support. What is exactly the headache of using exFAT? I thought it was more of a headache splitting .xci files (never done it before).
exFAT is not simple to obtain without risking a ban. If you can follow the tutorial from start to finish, then you're golden. But there's a lot of steps and requires you to obtain things offline without providing the required files. Of course, the only real headache with splitting files is that they may work properly if not split properly of it split at all. You'll get more success without using split files but whether or not that added success is worth the effort of getting it offline is your decision.

agas1957

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  1. Stick to FAT32 and split all your .XCI files into 4 GB parts. May make transferring a little more complicated but avoids the headache of using exFAT.
  2. Update to 5.X, grab the exFAT update officially, dump your NAND, and stay offline to avoid being banned. If you want to go online, restore your NAND.
  3. Follow either this tutorial: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-install-the-exfat-driver-without-updating-2-x.505176/ or this one: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...tch-console-on-any-ofw-without-update.505182/ to get the exFAT update offline. Will require a game dump that matches your system firmware.
  4. Throw all caution to the wind and pirate online with the exFAT update
Personally, I'm a fan of 3 but it depends on how much you want to use the eShop on your Switch and game online.

Thank you for the input. :bow:

I am not going to use eShop and Online Gaming at all...
If I want to do it I would get a separate "clean" Switch for that - there is no point of burning (literally) money in eShop with modded console.

I understand I can push exFat into 3.0.2 manually... Well... I think I can... :)
But what about new titles demanding 4.x?

Since you are sticking to option 3... Do you ignore any title which requires 4.x?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the input. :bow:

I am not going to use eShop and Online Gaming at all...
If I want to do it I would get a separate "clean" Switch for that - there is no point of burning (literally) money in eShop with modded console.

I understand I can push exFat into 3.0.2 manually... Well... I think I can... :)
But what about new titles demanding 4.x?

Since you are sticking to option 3... Do you ignore any title which requires 4.x?
Here is where the problem comes in. Updating from 3.0.2 to 4.X will not make your cartridge slot not work on firmwares below 4. Now this is only a problem if you update to 4.X without burning fuses in an effort to maintain the ability to boot 3.0.2. For reference, this is what I'm talking about: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

Depending on what games you want to play, they may or may not need 4.X. Then you will have to adjust your plans. Again, I can't make these types of decisions for you. I can only provide the facts for you to interpret and base your final decision off of.

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it normal that a backup game (Mk8) in sx os takes ages to load as cartridge?

Been loading now for a solid 10 mins now.

Edit: nvm after a reboot they load near instant.

Last edited by zerohealinzz,

HoTsHoTz79

GIC-Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Question: Can i use EdiZon or Checkpoint to delete save files? (or any other way via Switch menu)

I'm trying to delete Xenoblade2 save file from my LayeredFS Donor: Octopath demo

RAGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
  3. See #2 for answer
1. So, no RCM needed for using (not installing) 2.0.0/2.1.0/2.3.0 if I'm on 2.2.0 right now?
2. But, it is the ONLY way right now to be 99.99% safe from ban, is to restore to clean factory state via full NAND backup (console will be 100% offline)?
5. So the Switch does not autoconnect to any open networks, right? I saw someone said that docked Switch disables Airplane mode, but I do not understand why it is a problem?

Thanks for answers!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. So, no RCM needed for using (not installing) 2.0.0/2.1.0/2.3.0 if I'm on 2.2.0 right now?
2. But, it is the ONLY way right now to be 99.99% safe from ban, is to restore to clean factory state via full NAND backup (console will be 100% offline)?
5. So the Switch does not autoconnect to any open networks, right? I saw someone said that docked Switch disables Airplane mode, but I do not understand why it is a problem?

Thanks for answers!
  1. If you plan to use a retail cartridge to update to those firmwares, then no. But if you want to use a game backup/dump of a system firmware, you will need to use the Switch's RCM. You won't need to keep using AutoRCM as this prevents from the fuses from being burnt (indirectly, Hekate is the bootloader that prevents fuses from being burnt)
  2. I would argue its the safest until proven otherwise. It should also be worth nothing that repeated restorations of the NAND may degrade the eMMC within the Switch so its not a viable long-term option to remain safe
  3. Docked and Handheld modes have different settings (for whatever reason). You have to set Airplane Mode in both to ensure it stays in Airplane Mode when you switch from one to the other. The Switch does not magically connect to Nintendo's servers until it has a type of connection that allows it (i.e. Wi-Fi)

Reactions: RAGER

NANASHI89

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to play backups on SX OS and not get banned?

I know you don't play backups online. That's a "no duh."

Also, are DLC and Updates playable on SX OS, yet?

Last edited by NANASHI89,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to play backups on SX OS and not get banned?

I know you don't play backups online. That's a "no duh."

Also, are DLC and Updates playable on SX OS, yet?
Impossible unless you have a good reason to let Nintendo off the hook. But if you want the "safest route", play backups completely offline in CFW without Wi-Fi settings and in Airplane Mode. Disable Error Reporting in the System Settings as well. If you want to update by going online, load all of the cartridges in CFW and leave them on the home menu. Then use nx-dreport beforehand unless you're on 5.X (firmwares 5.X can track if error logs are cleared or not). Now boot into OFW and update away.

An alternative is to make a NAND backup prior to using any hacks/homebrew/CFW and restore it prior to going online. However, this isn't a viable long-term solution not to mention that restoration of the NAND is not perfected yet either.

DLC and updates are not possible with SX OS solely, but rather through DevMenu. It has the ability to install pretty much anything. SX OS provides the sig patching to let installed titles run normally so I believe it should work for DLC (updates do not require sig patching to work).

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is Linux on Switch stabilized yet? As in the battery?
Natinsula updated Lakka.tv with the appropriate battery settings so it should be good to do now. If you did run Linux previously, its recommended to run CTCaer's v3 mod of Hekate to see if your suffering from any battery-related problems.
New release : Lakka-Switch.aarch64-2.1-devel-20180702145547-r28266-gd7ab03d6b

What's new :
  • Lakka doesn't break your battery anymore :toot:
    • You will need to run the fix in Hekate 3.0 first if your console was affected
    • Make sure to update your copy of the boot script as coreboot.rom was also affected
    • This also prevents Linux from shutting down early, just as Horizon did
How to update : https://lakka-switch.github.io/documentation/update.html

Venseer

A weapon to surpass Metal Gear
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I am on 2.3.0 and I got the SX.

If I try to run a game that has a higher firmware than that I'll be asked to update? If I update, it will update my Original OS Firmware, not only the SX Os, which means I will not be on 2.3.0 anymore, right?
I also am trying to remove the exFat update, but I currently do not have a USB C, I managed to inject the FS.kip1, but it will not inject over to the SX Os payload, is there any way to inject it permanently without having a USB C Cable, or I'll just have to get one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't trust the free ones, but ipvanish I've used for couple years now, n like
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I wonder if they could get CPUs to run that hot then use the heat to power a steam turbine to power the CPUs....
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good idea, or at least power the GPU
    It's not the movies or games downloads that I would worry about, like breaking into networks, downloading encrypted things, spying on network traffic. I have seen so many "Top Secret" seals on files when I was a kid
    I was obsessed with finding UFOs, a surprising amount of US files where stashed on computers in other countries, China back in the early 90s omg sooo much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea that crazy, I've never tried hack into anything, I just pirate, and my ISP have send me 3-4 letters, so had to VPN it
    Ship to ship communication software for the Navy although without access to the encrypting chips it was mostly useless
    I bet now a 4090 could probably crack it? Hmmm maybe not even back then I'm pretty sure they where using like 1024 bit encryption
    Yayyy the one set finished 324GBs lol
    Compressed....
    I wonder how many years that would have taken on a 56K modem lol
    18000 hours lol
    750 days lol
    +1
    So Internet is very much faster now lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Time Remaining- 2 years, 9 girlfriends, 6 hairstyles, please standby..."
    +1
    I remember one time I downloaded like a 500MB ISO file on 56K and that literally took like 2 days
    I had some sort of resume thing, I remember the software had chains
    Damned if I can't remember.the name though
    Some sort of download management app
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night.
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey psi
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i call your girl lyndon the way she b on my johnson